Crop damage permit success!!!!!

Grizz1219

Deer dont cause the problem? You should spend more time on and around farms. The farmer next door to me is loosing thousands in crop damage this year between his corn and beans. The deer have mowed his beans down to only 7 or 8 inches tall at the most. The outer 6 feet of corn along every edge but the road edge, is ruined. Every single cob has been half eaten. There has been other damage from bears and birds, but deer have done a number.

I have spent time on farm I did say that I agree with crop damage permits however deer are not the only animals causing the damage

Correct, and most farmers have people come out and help take care of other pests. Problem is, besides bears, deer tend to put the biggest hurting on things. Depending on how large of an area you are talking about, if one farm had 80 permits, they have a pretty serious problem, and what they do with the dead deer is really their business. Im sure the farmer doesnt want to sit there and butcher 80 deer or pay to have someone do it. Sure, the state could collect them and have them butchered up, but NY is broke last I checked, so the extra funds for that just arent there. Maybe you should start talking to a few of the farmers and try to get in on the action, then you can take some meat home for yourself. ;)

Dom your right not all damage are the deer and I can say at least from my damaged corn and beans and what WNTH just discribed...if the DEC had come out at night and spotted those fields he described...they would have seen far more damage being done by raccoons ...and wood chuck on the corn and by far, more damage by rabbits and woodchuck to the beans than deer....That being said farmers can get damage permits for things such as rabbits and turkeys and raccoon out of season....ppl aren't small game and varmint hunting like they use to and those animals breed far more than deer and are much more elusive than deer...which puts the bulls eye centered on them as well as the fact that you hit a raccoon with your car all you get is a thud and fur on your under carriage...a deer you get a bill for few thousand dollars for the insurance company

Edited by growalot

I remember seeing a corn field down in PA that had some significant crop damage from bears. It looked like they had been rolling around in there and mashed everything down flat into the mud. It was quite a big area too. One of the guys I was hunting with saw one of the bears, and there were some very distinct bear trails. If the season had been open at that time, that would have been a good place to actually do some trail-watching for bears. They definitely were using those trails often. So that question I asked on the bear hunting forum about how to hunt bears without bait would have been a real easy one to answer in that location....lol.

I remember seeing a corn field down in PA that had some significant crop damage from bears. It looked like they had been rolling around in there and mashed everything down flat into the mud. It was quite a big area too. One of the guys I was hunting with saw one of the bears, and there were some very distinct bear trails. If the season had been open at that time, that would have been a good place to actually do some trail-watching for bears. They definitely were using those trails often. So that question I asked on the bear hunting forum about how to hunt bears without bait would have been a real easy one to answer in that location....lol.

Thats what is going on on this farm. There are large patches in the corn fields where the corn is ripped down and the cobs stripped of every kernel. A friend of mine and I came across it a month ago while doing some bird control for the farmer.

Hope you get a few more to help your farmer out... and yes there is damage from coon,bear,ect but coon and bear will pull down the entire stalk of corn..deer will bite the end of an ear off and do the same to the next 40 stalks... a lot of what a coon will pull down has already been damaged from deer.. they do investigate what is causing the damage before permits are issued... kind of like the grape farmer whose grapes were being eaten by turkey and wanted them all killed.... after investigating 90% of the damage was done by raccoon. turkeys were mostly picking bugs.... a few trappers took care of the problem and made some money doing it..