Backup Release

fasteddie

For those of you that carry a backup release in your backpack , etc , do you practice with it ?

I have a BearPaw release and a TruFire wrist release . The wrist release is my BU . I was shooting today and tried my backup . It is a bit touchier than the BearPaw .

Soooooo , what do you folks do ?

You're assuming every bow hunter has a backup release...?

Until I began thinking about it last year I never had one.

I use a Wynn's RH/Loop release in large, unique release not found in every Dick's or bow shop.

Now have one & have shot with it.

Don't carry it, I'm only 1/2mi max from where it's stored.

I wasn't assuming everyone had a backup release . I was asking about those that did have one .

The same would go for those that have a backup bow . Not everone has one but ......for those that do should practice with the backup bow . The bows would ( no doubt ) shoot differently .

I don't plan on carrying a back-up though I might decide to get a tension handle releases to give them a try. If something every goes wrong with my release out in the field then I plan on hurling insults at the deer and try to damage it's feelings.

I got a back up after dropping it at the most inoppertune time..the deer still stood there but i wasnt about to try fingers. i now have the one i keep as a back up in a deep zippered pocket in my coat. I've used it on several ocassions after leaving the main one in the house and realizing it after i reached my stand... didnt want to hike back and then back to stand as i would of lost the 1st hr of shooting time..

I dont see why you wouldnt carry a backup, its not like they are super expensive, and with my luck, Id get up in my stand and the deer would start dancing around it laughing at me because I cant take a shot. The first year I bowhunted, I forgot my release at home, got all the way into my stand and realized I didnt have it. Wasted my whole morning, plus pressured my hunting area for no good reason. I bought a back up later that day.

I wasn't assuming everyone had a backup release .

Not saying you assumed anything!

What I was implying was for the cost & convience of having a b/u release it would not suddendly end your hunt.

Like I mentioned, I would be SOL if my release broke w/o a b/u.

I've left my release behind, once. Half way to stand, back to truck & then back to stand with release makes you think about it more.

I hunt 50 - 60 miles from home so I keep a backup in my backpack just for insurance . I usually keep the bow , quiver with arrows , release and arm guard in my bowcase so I should have everything with me .

My release fell out of my pocket on the way to the stand one morning . Rather than look around in the dark I pulled the backup out and hunted . Found my main release on the way back to my vehicle .

I don't plan on carrying a back-up though I might decide to get a tension handle releases to give them a try. If something every goes wrong with my release out in the field then I plan on hurling insults at the deer and try to damage it's feelings.

Knowing my luck I think I'm gonna pick up a b/u release this weekend.

@Elmo, I always hurl insults at the deer especially when I take a shot and they're not standing still :angry: