First Deer Gun

Tio1

Are you suggesting that a .243 Win is flatter shooting out of a Weatherby rifle than it would be out of a Winchester or Remington with equal barrel length ?

Kinda sounded that way.. Just checkin'..

I have nothing against the .243 Win, or the the .240 Weatherby, for that matter.

I asked my moose guide in NF what rifle he uses for moose. Answer....243 Win and he kills a bull every year with it.. I'm not endorsing the .243 as a moose rilfe, but....

As a well known member of this forum has said several times..Headstamps don't kill game, SHOT PLACEMENT kills game..

Thanks for the info all. Me and Jr. have had several sessions at the range with the 243 and we are ready for the PA opener. Personally never shot 243 - I started at 12 with 308. Virtually no recoil. Agreed 9 yrs may sound young to some, but PA has come up with the great idea which implemented several yrs ago - mentored hunt. Any child may hunt regardless of age when the mentor believes them to be ready. The idea is to hook them early before they are lost to other interests. Started my little guy squirrel hunting at 7 and it was terrific. Love seeing the excitement in the kid's eyes. Wish NY would adopt similar program so I can do same here.

I would look at a 260. More than 243 less that 7-08 and you can go a bit higher in weight and power

I'm 65 yrs old and with bubba on this one! I use to shoot an '06 for many years... a few years ago I got tired of the recoil and got a .260Rem and never looked back! NO RECOIL and every deer I've shot hit the ground - right there!

I shoot the 120gr Federal Vital Shok bullets.

Thanks for the info all. Me and Jr. have had several sessions at the range with the 243 and we are ready for the PA opener. Personally never shot 243 - I started at 12 with 308. Virtually no recoil. Agreed 9 yrs may sound young to some, but PA has come up with the great idea which implemented several yrs ago - mentored hunt. Any child may hunt regardless of age when the mentor believes them to be ready. The idea is to hook them early before they are lost to other interests. Started my little guy squirrel hunting at 7 and it was terrific. Love seeing the excitement in the kid's eyes. Wish NY would adopt similar program so I can do same here.

Well, glad you and your boy are all set.

This might be a good thread to lock........................................................

You never know what other wisdom will come out of BizRDude,

I tend to agree that 9 yo is a bit young for deer but you as the father makes that decision. Regarding the best gun... in my mind the best is a .243. I purchased a Ruger 243 for my 14 yo son and he shot it through the lower neck just above the shoulder. It was his first buck opening morning at 136 yds and dropped on the spot.

The 243 w/ 100 gr is a nasty little gun. I shot a doe at 475-480 yds right through the lungs and it ran about 25 yds. I put the rifle in a tree crotch and held about 2 ft above the shoulder. The gun was sighted for 2" high at 100. I measured it twice using google earth. I was surprised as sh)t. Like I said it is a nasty little gun cause it's so flat and fast.

I'm 65 yrs old and with bubba on this one! I use to shoot an '06 for many years... a few years ago I got tired of the recoil and got a .260Rem and never looked back! NO RECOIL and every deer I've shot hit the ground - right there!

I shoot the 120gr Federal Vital Shok bullets.

I shoot a TC Encore handgun thats chambered in 260. That gun will put a deer down at well over 200 yards with ease. It jumps a bit in a handgun, but its not that bad.

Are you suggesting that a .243 Win is flatter shooting out of a Weatherby rifle than it would be out of a Winchester or Remington with equal barrel length ?

Kinda sounded that way.. Just checkin'..

I have nothing against the .243 Win, or the the .240 Weatherby, for that matter.

I asked my moose guide in NF what rifle he uses for moose. Answer....243 Win and he kills a bull every year with it.. I'm not endorsing the .243 as a moose rilfe, but....

As a well known member of this forum has said several times..Headstamps don't kill game, SHOT PLACEMENT kills game..

Winchester and Remington just sound cheap lol. Go with the Weatherby!

That's a laugh alright!! You sound like the typical Weatherby owner or others who like to buy expensive guns. They think just because they paid big money for their firearm, it's the greatest thing under the sun and nothing else can compare. I've got some news for you. Plenty of guns out there that cost a fraction of what the Weatherby does that can shoot just as well or better.

They may sound "cheap" but the Weatherby Vanguard is cheap. And I'd rather have a Winchester model 70 any day over the Mark V's cheap little brother. And I'd rather have the model 70 over the Mark V too.

But they dont look as nice.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

I much prefer a nice "classic" style stock in oiled walnut and blued metal over some of the fancier styles, such as the Weatherby MkV.

In my opinion, if PIMPS hunted, they would hunt with Weatherbys.

As I say, tastes vary.. To me, a thing of beauty is a classically stocked mauser in nice walnut . Some guys like blondes...Some like brunettes..