well16days to go and it's started......

growalot

This stuffs been going on for a lot longer than I've been here and I believe the home invasions were tied to Rochester area....but with the booming heroine business that is happening in one not too far away village...I'm sure a lot of the house stripping and other copper stealing is all local...

Actually Pygmy I would think with the cops being shot at and shot over the last several years in Steuben county where your from they should hire Tony...I don't need help...notice I didn't mention being robbed...I have one other neighbor that wasn't hit either..but she watches her lands as well and we both have several very lrg trained dogs....Isn't it Steuben where Bucky Philips came from?...and didn't Steuben just have a cop car shot up and a high speed chase last week?...I love radio stations from there... Steuben has some winners as well...The facts are this stuff is getting more and more common out here and it's just making the need to be alert as to whats going on more important...ie example...some of you living way out in the country try Googling how many child sex offenders you have living in your area...that will tilt your head a bit I bet...when the suburbs don't want them on release where do you think your counties are steering them to? The days of rose colored glasses are over

This stuffs been going on for a lot longer than I've been here and I believe the home invasions were tied to Rochester area....but with the booming heroine business that is happening in one not too far away village...I'm sure a lot of the house stripping and other copper stealing is all local...

Actually Pygmy I would think with the cops being shot at and shot over the last several years in Steuben county where your from they should hire Tony...I don't need help...notice I didn't mention being robbed...I have one other neighbor that wasn't hit either..but she watches her lands as well and we both have several very lrg trained dogs....Isn't it Steuben where Bucky Philips came from?...and didn't Steuben just have a cop car shot up and a high speed chase last week?...I love radio stations from there... Steuben has some winners as well...The facts are this stuff is getting more and more common out here and it's just making the need to be alert as to whats going on more important...ie example...some of you living way out in the country try Googling how many child sex offenders you have living in your area...that will tilt your head a bit I bet...when the suburbs don't want them on release where do you think your counties are steering them to? The days of rose colored glasses are over

Bucky wasn't a local, growalot...He was an a native American from out Allegany/Chataugua county way. He did shoot a trooper here while he was passing through Steuben, who was fortunately saved by his kevlar vest... Then those goobers who robbed a bank in Horseheads shot poor trooper Andy Sperr down near the airport..I believe that was in Chemung County, though..Andy was a fine young fellow and he and I used to hunt the same duck swamp near Caton. His wife was my financial advisor...Terrible tragedy. Fortunately Andy managed to return fire and seriuosly wound 2 out of three of the scumbags, which led to thier arrest.

Well there you go proving my point...it's every where and when you have ppl not afraid to shoot officers it's more than a sad state of affairs...not paranoia...not just DRAMA....nor selfishness to keep an eye out and expect the worst hope for the best....Hell today I approached a truck that backed into the drive and sat Idoling...actually an empty flat bed....2 ppl and a dog was all I could see...the driver stepped out and I asked if he needed something?...no I wasn't smiling like some hapless twit..it was a firm questioned asked...and yes they needed directions....asked answered and I sent them on the easiest route...I doubt he wanted to stick a 45 in my face

Of course he didn't want to stick a .45 in your face..

If you were a large person approaching him very aggressively, he MIGHT have considered it. I am too old to take a whipping, and I am also on medication that makes a blow to my head or face potentially as dangerous as a gunshot or knife wound. That is why I WILL defend myself if necessary, especially if parked along a PUBLIC road doing no more than listening for a turkey to gobble.

I agree that it is a good idea to let people know that you are willing and able to defend yourself and your property. When I answer a knock on the door in the middle of the night or investigate a REAL incursion or trespassing on my property, I am armed, locked and loaded, make no mistake.

However, that is very different from harrassing people who are legally spotlighting deer, or simply observing wildlife from a PUBLIC road that happens to run past your property.

• 1 month later...

I don't spot period. If I ever felt the need too I certainly wouldn't spot private land that i'm not allowed to hunt anymore than I'd peek in a house's window. That's why you get your butt out and do serious scouting, on land you have the right to hunt.

Well, neither do I...

However, as long as it is legal I support a law abiding citizen's RIGHT to do it, without being harrassed by some overzealous moron who just happens to own the land that the terrible, offending light beams are passing over.

Hmmm.. What does this have to do with spotlightng, Growalot..??

I don't see the connection... Seems like most door kick-ins of hunting camps would take place in the winter, or sometime when they least likely to be occupied..

Is there a crime wave in your area..?? Seems like the State Troopers or Sherrif's dept should be aware of that..

"However, as long as it is legal I support a law abiding citizen's RIGHT to do it, without being harrassed by some overzealous moron who just happens to own the land that the terrible, offending light beams are passing over."

I have something about people invading my space, and privacy. I try to treat others as they treat me, so therefore I wouldn't want anyone "spying/scoping out my property. I'd consider that just plain freaking rude, and inconsiderate. As far as being legal, that's why we have a government continually pass laws, so people that haven't got any morals, can read a law that tells them right from wrong.

I support anyone hunting legally, whatever their "weapon" of choice, whatever their prey, but sometimes you just have to use common sense.

" just happens to own the land"

I pretty sure he doesn't just "happen" to own the land that you covet! It's his property, and his life, I say give the man some respect. If you want to spot deer I think you ought to do it on public land, your land, or land that you actually have the right to hunt.

• Like 1

Ok Tim... I'll grant you your right to your opinion...However I have my opinion also.

How many acres of land do you own ?? I have owned several hundred acres of prime hunting land in my lifetime, and paid many thousands of dollars property tax and never felt "violated" because someone drove down the road and shined a light over it to look at deer..

Where the hell does that mentality come from ???

As long as they aren't stopping and SHOOTING the deer, what is the problem..?..

• Like 1

Ok Tim, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree....

AS I have said, I don't have any interest in spotlighting and have never even OWNED one. But I support a citizen's right to do it, as long as it is legal . I know a lot of people who enjoy driving around at night looking at deer and I can see no harm in it, as long as they are obeying the game laws.

Lol i guess they better stay on your land hi beaming deer lol,,id be one mad dude if i seen someone spot lighting deer on my land..I have never myself heard of someone spot lighting a deer unless they are jacking it!!

I guess you must hang around with the wrong crowd, young feller..

There have always been poachers, and they operate both day and night..

But you are WAY out of line assuming that anyone who casts a light beam at night is a poacher..

I know many fine folks who enjoy driving around at night looking at deer, with no ulterior motives..

They may see a big buck in any given spot, but the next morning they will be back hunting wherever they have permission, or on public land or whatever..

I admit that spotlights have been a tool of poachers, but to suggest that all spotlighters ( or even a majority of them) are poachers is inaccurate.

I guess you must hang around with the wrong crowd, young feller..

There have always been poachers, and they operate both day and night..

But you are WAY out of line assuming that anyone who casts a light beam at night is a poacher..

I know many fine folks who enjoy driving around at night looking at deer, with no ulterior motives..

They may see a big buck in any given spot, but the next morning they will be back hunting wherever they have permission, or on public land or whatever..

I admit that spotlights have been a tool of poachers, but to suggest that all spotlighters ( or even a majority of them) are poachers is inaccurate.

Lol me being young..whats that mean that i dont know as much as the next guy lol..im 22 and have allready been hunting for 10 years of my life..And me or anyone who taught me what i know have NEVER used a spot light it really dont make sense..plus if your doing it on somebody elses land whats the point,,not like you can hunt there anyway!!And if you read what i put i never said that if you do use a light that your jacking deer but on someone elses land,,in the dark,,and your spotlighing deer hmm i may not be a 60 year old genius but it dont make sense to me..Have you ever heard of the show "Smarter than a 5th grader"...

• Like 1

A whole 22 years old ? I have SOCKS older than you....LOL..

Seriously, though... I mean no offense.. I was 22 once myself, YEARS ago...I was serving my country at the time, during the Vietnam War. What are you doing now ?

I am what many of the folks on this forum call a LOCAL..

I live and have always lived in a rural area with good hunting, and have had lots of access to prime hunting ground, both on my property and on other properties that I have permission to hunt on.

Yes, I know that poachers use spotlights at times..

However, many of my friends and neighbors enjoy going out and spotlighting deer for recreation.. It is LEGAL, as long as you don't have a firearm in the vehicle, etc.etc.

I'm sorry that that everyone you know that spotlights deer are poachers.

I suggest that you report them to the authorities..

No offense...

Edited by Pygmy

HAHA what am i doing now well since you ask i am in the logging work and in due time will own the company i manage (at the age of 22)..I own my house i have everything i need in my life..so thanks for asking..age does mean smarts you all just think that way!!And report to the cops naaa it would take to much time for them to get here i just hope fot their sake they stay off my land idc what their doing!!!Thats y its called MY LAND!!!My fathers has been hunting for over 40 years and he will tell ya that doesnt mean squat!!!

• Like 1

And man if you guys are going to make remarks at least make sense you said quote"I'm sorry that that everyone you know that spotlights deer are poachers"...And that makes NO SENSE AT ALL..when you look at my post and see clearly that it says "And me or anyone who taught me what i know have NEVER used a spot light it really dont make sense"....Good try tho its a bad look when you all sound so foolish when trying to make some one else look wrong i love it..But hey what do i know im young!!!AHAHAHAHA

Man ,I thought I had problems hunting on Long Island.

Truth be told, I would think somebody driving around at 2 am , spotlighting a deer in my front yard would be upto no good, but I do understand that not everybody is out to poach. To me it is not worth the fine and loosing my hunting license, but to some people, it is the easy way out. Everybody has their own opinion, and we are all entitled to it.

Good Luck on opening day guys, please be safe. Wish i could spotlight some areas that had alot rabbits, as I would ask permission to hunt there, as you rarely see rabbits sitting out in the open during the day, night time is the only time you can see them.

www.bellmorekennels.com

HAHA what am i doing now well since you ask i am in the logging work and in due time will own the company i manage (at the age of 22)..I own my house i have everything i need in my life..so thanks for asking..age does mean smarts you all just think that way!!And report to the cops naaa it would take to much time for them to get here i just hope fot their sake they stay off my land idc what their doing!!!Thats y its called MY LAND!!!My fathers has been hunting for over 40 years and he will tell ya that doesnt mean squat!!!

Sorry... I didn't realize that you were such an articulate and important young fellow..

Good luck in your hunting and I hope that no one casts any evil light beams over your property..

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1