Final DEC 5 year management plan

WNYBuckHunter

Some of you may have read in another section, that the DEC has adopted their 5 year deer management plan. I did a quick scan through and the only parts that concern me are the deer contraception and AR stuff. The rest looks good to me. Some of my favorites include:

-special early season youth hunt weekend

-crossbows to be included in ALL seasons in which other archery equipment can be used

-reduce the setback limit to 150ft for bows

-increased penalties for deer hunting violations

-uniform age limit of 12 for all NY hunters

-Oct 1 bow season opener

Heres a link to the DEC page on it.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7211.html

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thus, this 5-year plan calls for continuing mandatory antler

restrictions in the existing pilot area, and expanding mandatory antler restrictions in seven wildlife

management units adjacent to the existing antler restriction area beginning with the 2012 hunting

season (see strategies 2.3.5 and 2.3.6).

Sorry the Reder's Digest clips ar enot formatted correctly. The page was acting up. This may wet your appetite to read the entire proposal.....some of the changes I saw so far....bout time for some of the boys to lead an armed revolt...lol

will not initiate a process to discontinue use of either-sex and antlerless only bow and muzzleloader tags in all Wildlife Management Units, but DEC will continue to explore alternative tag structures; antlerless harvest with bow and muzzleloader tags will be suspended in WMUs where no Deer Management Permits are available by decision of the DEC

this plan proposes to temporarily discontinue antlerless harvest by bow and muzzleloader hunters during years when DMPs will not be issued.

Begin the Southern Zone bowhunting season and the regular season in Westchester County on October 1 each year; allow bowhunting during the late muzzleloading season in the Northern Zone in areas where the late season is open; and set the Northern Zone regular season to run for 44 days beginning the 4th Saturday in October.

And for some SZ areas--

clarified that a special antlerless-only season for muzzleloader hunters will only occur as the 3

rd

phase of a multi-phase process, and only in WMUs where additional doe harvest is needed. The timing of such a season is no longer specified in the plan and will be determined as needed..

Does anyone know what this means?...sounds like to many damn lawyers in the DEC-----------

broadened strategy for use of objective criteria to determine and evaluate optimal mechanisms for reducing harvest of yearling bucks, including mandatory antler restrictions.

sounds like more hand holding for PETA and a waste of tax money--

clarified context appropriate for fertility control research in New York.

Annually suspend antlerless harvest during the bowhunting and muzzleloading seasons in WMUs where no DMPs are available by decision of the Department (excludes Adirondack and Tug Hill units).

Where deer populations are above desired levels and DMP quotas may exceed applicant base, initiate a progressive and adaptive approach to increase antlerless harvest by: (Phase 1) expanding the use of Bonus DMPs; (Phase 2) making a portion of the early bowhunting season and late muzzleloading season valid only for antlerless deer; and (Phase 3) implementing a special antlerless-only season for muzzleloader hunters in these areas.

Strategy 3.2.2: Liberalize harvest of antlerless deer in Deer Management Focus Areas by expanding bag limits of antlerless deer, extending hunting seasons, and/or incorporating post-season hunts...................................

Consideration was given to shortening the regular season in the Northern Zone and/or Southern Zone. However, this was overwhelmingly considered to be a bad idea by both Northern and Southern Zone hunters

DEC believes that beginning the regular season on a Saturday continues to be an important strategy to provide opportunity for school-aged hunters and small-business owners to participate. DEC does not see significant need to alter the Southern Zone regular season timing for management or social purposes.

Additionally, when asked to identify which aspect of buck hunting is most important, 50% of hunters indicated that "having the freedom to choose which buck I shoot" is most important,

No significant change in breeding success or timing is expected from reducing harvest of yearling bucks.

Similarly, antler restrictions have not significantly changed the timing or success of deer breeding in Pennsylvania

Increased number of ≥2.5 year old bucks may reduce breeding activity of some yearling bucks, potentially affording these yearlings additional time to feed and store fat for winter. However, the extent of which increased presence of older bucks may reduce energy expenditure of yearling bucks during the rut and subsequently increase survival of these yearlings through winter is unknown. (I call this the getting your A$$ kicked factor...LOL)

Increased number of ≥2.5 year old bucks may increase the amount of buck sign such as rubs and scrapes. While this may impact hunter satisfaction, social factors of deer are not expected to noticeably impact the timing of deer breeding in northern portions of deer range (Miller et al. 1995) such as New York.

Whether it’s in support of mandatory buck harvest restrictions, or the right to choose whatever buck they want, New York deer hunters have strong feelings about the way they would like to see bucks managed in the state. Therefore, DEC believes that efforts to alter buck age structure should generally remain voluntary and not be mandated by regulation or legislation.

DEC does not consider there to be a compelling biological or management need for mandatory antler restrictions and evidence from the pilot antler restriction program suggests no changes in participation that would provide economic benefit for communities in an area with mandatory antler restrictions. However, DEC recognizes that interest in mandatory antler restrictions is strong among some segments of hunters and in some regional areas. Thus, this 5-year plan calls for continuing mandatory antler restrictions in the existing pilot area, and expanding mandatory antler restrictions in seven wildlife management units adjacent to the existing antler restriction area beginning with the 2012 hunting

DEC supports the use of crossbows during any hunting season in which other bowhunting equipment is allowed and recommends that eligibility to hunt with a crossbow be the same as eligibility to hunt with a vertical bow.

• DEC recommends that the setback distance for discharge of bowhunting equipment (longbows and crossbows) be reduced from 500 feet to 150 feet.

DEC supports an increase of the penalties for the illegal taking of deer and efforts to enhance law enforcement capabilities.

That's like all of the catskills. Jeez. Not sure if that makes me happy or not. I usually let little bucks go but I like having the option of taking a marginal buck if I want. On the other hand I would like to see bigger bucks in my area. How many years does it take to start seeing more mature bucks as a result of these restrictions (if at all)?

That's like all of the catskills. Jeez. Not sure if that makes me happy or not. I usually let little bucks go but I like having the option of taking a marginal buck if I want. On the other hand I would like to see bigger bucks in my area. How many years does it take to start seeing more mature bucks as a result of these restrictions (if at all)?

If you read through the plan a little more, it actually sounds to me like they would like to expand AR to the entire state. Not sure that I like that, even though it wouldnt really affect me.

If you read through the plan a little more, it actually sounds to me like they would like to expand AR to the entire state. Not sure that I like that, even though it wouldnt really affect me.

I'm with you. I tend to thing regulation usually winds up being a negative thing. I want to see where there has been restrictions if it even works.

I totally don'[t get that from the plan. They go into detail saying it has little value.

DEC does not consider there to be a compelling biological or management need for mandatory antler restrictions and evidence from the pilot antler restriction program suggests no changes in participation that would provide economic benefit for communities in an area with mandatory antler restrictions. However, DEC recognizes that interest in mandatory antler restrictions is strong among some segments of hunters and in some regional areas. Thus, this 5-year plan calls for continuing mandatory antler restrictions in the existing pilot area, and expanding mandatory antler restrictions in seven wildlife management units adjacent to the existing antler restriction area beginning with the 2012 hunting

Whether it’s in support of mandatory buck harvest restrictions, or the right to choose whatever buck they want, New York deer hunters have strong feelings about the way they would like to see bucks managed in the state. Therefore, DEC believes that efforts to alter buck age structure should generally remain voluntary and not be mandated by regulation or legislation.

I don't see that, could of missed something but I didn't sound to me statewide ar policy could go in place, just the opposite.

DEC does not consider there to be a compelling biological or management need for mandatory antler

restrictions and evidence from the pilot antler restriction program suggests no changes in participation

that would provide economic benefit for communities in an area with mandatory antler restrictions.

However, DEC recognizes that interest in mandatory antler restrictions is strong among some segments

of hunters and in some regional areas. Thus, this 5-year plan calls for continuing mandatory antler

restrictions in the existing pilot area, and expanding mandatory antler restrictions in seven wildlife

management units adjacent to the existing antler restriction area beginning with the 2012 hunting

season (see strategies 2.3.5 and 2.3.6).

Alot of what could be bad ideas in there, making decisions on social aspects on one topic and ignoring it other topics make no sense to me. They say Ar's are a social thing and go with it but also say that changing the gun season at all is a social issue and leave it alone?

There will be doe permits for the Northern Zone though, I think they are needed in some areas so thats good.

What I want to know, in respect to the DMPs is how exactly they plan on stopping people from taking does in the WMUs they need to during bow/ML seasons if they arent going to do away with the either sex tags. Doesnt make sense.

Annually suspend antlerless harvest during the bowhunting and muzzleloading seasons in WMUs where no DMPs are available by decision of the Department (excludes Adirondack and Tug Hill units).

Where deer populations are above desired levels and DMP quotas may exceed applicant base, initiate a progressive and adaptive approach to increase antlerless harvest by: (Phase 1) expanding the use of Bonus DMPs; (Phase 2) making a portion of the early bowhunting season and late muzzleloading season valid only for antlerless deer; and (Phase 3) implementing a special antlerless-only season for muzzleloader hunters in these areas.

So if you are hunting an area where they are at or below their population goal you will not be able to harvest a doe with your Bow or ML. Gonna have to burn some gas to go where you can or sit and watch the does walk by. sonce many of the low issue areas seem to be in the catskill regions and those are the ones with AR.....I would spend any money on new archery gear or new ML guys.

In regards to "-crossbows to be included in ALL seasons in which other archery equipment can be used", is it safe to assume this will begin in 2013? since the current crossbow law is in effect through 2012.

it is only in effect through the 2011-2012 season right? so they could implement it for next bow season wich would be the 2012-2013 season

"So if you are hunting an area where they are at or below their population goal you will not be able to harvest a doe with your Bow or ML. Gonna have to burn some gas to go where you can or sit and watch the does walk by. sonce many of the low issue areas seem to be in the catskill regions and those are the ones with AR.....I would spend any money on new archery gear or new ML guys."

Like in 4S where there are no doe permits and soon to be AR's, sorry to my farmer friend we help out, we are done hunting there soon.

I have ar in my area and I feel like after the 3rd year there was a definite increase in mature bucks. I'm all for it and restricting either sex tags in wmu's with no dmp's easy if you take a doe there you get a fine and lose your deer.

Correct me if I'm wrong here. The DEC states in their website that the only effective way to manage a deer herd is to take does out. I think they said something like 40% of does out to maintain or keep stable a population of deer and more than 40% to reduce a population. They also encourage landowners to voluntarily manage the deer on their properties. Yet now they make a regulation in which you cannot take does during bow or muzzleloader when there are no doe permits issued in that area. So basically they are telling landowners who want to manage their deer that "we" will tell you when you can manage the deer on your land and it's not up to you the landowner but us the DEC. That just doesn't sit right with me.

it is only in effect through the 2011-2012 season right? so they could implement it for next bow season wich would be the 2012-2013 season

The crossbow law ends 12/31/12, so i dont know?

Question: When does the new law go in effect?

Answer: The changes went into effect on February 1, 2011. This means that a licensed hunter can use a crossbow during the 2011 and 2012 big game hunting seasons. The law will expire on December 31, 2012, unless the Legislature and Governor decide to extend it.

I totally don'[t get that from the plan. They go into detail saying it has little value.

I was looking at what they were saying in Appendix 3. I still have to read the whole thing through. Thanks for the clarification.

So if you are hunting an area where they are at or below their population goal you will not be able to harvest a doe with your Bow or ML. Gonna have to burn some gas to go where you can or sit and watch the does walk by. sonce many of the low issue areas seem to be in the catskill regions and those are the ones with AR.....I would spend any money on new archery gear or new ML guys.

But thats what I dont understand. If guys have the tags in their pockets, how is the DEC going to enforce not using them in select areas each year, but still allow them to be used in the rest of the state. Personally, I think it would be less confusing to get rid of the either sex tags and go to a DMP policy for all seasons, not just regular season. As you can see from many post on this site, so many guys have trouble grasping the current regulations, why make them more complicated?

In regards to "-crossbows to be included in ALL seasons in which other archery equipment can be used", is it safe to assume this will begin in 2013? since the current crossbow law is in effect through 2012.

If they get what they want, crossbows will become legal in 2013 for all seasons. That means it will stay the same (during regular season and late ML) this season and next.