Sloppy shooter

fasteddie

I took my Ruger .380 to the range a couple weeks ago . I was picking up my brass just for the heck of it .

Anyway I saw a 22 bullet that was intact . Then another and another . About a dozen rounds . I put the brass and bullets in a bag and brought them home . I was sorting them out last night and noticed a firing pin mark on each of the bullets . They had been scattered on the ground at the pistol range . Bad firing pin , I guess . There is a spot at the range for duds and they sure as heck don't belong left on the ground .

No.....live ammo is not the sort of thing you want to have laying around on the ground.

That might have been a good thing to bring to the attention of someone of influence at the range. Perhaps they might want to reinforce the rules in some fashion or put up a sign or two that list rules and regs. You wouldn't think that people would have to be made aware of some of these things, but .......oh well. Some times you do have to state the obvious to people.

Doc

Saw I guy leaving 22's on the ground at the range with the same problem once.  The ammo misfired and he would jack another round into the rifle and misfire again.

I picked up his misfired ammo and asked what was the matter.  His reply was the shells were duds.  I put a couple into my 22 revolver and all of them fired.  I looked at him and said, "Your rifle is a dud!"  I also explained how leaving that rimfire ammo on the ground was dangerous.  He didn't think it was because he thought they were "duds".

:)

I had a major proble with my being on a fixed income and just being cheap. They had a ammo special on SIlver bear ammo hunting  150 gr in 308 cal.I purchased 100 round or 5 box's. I felt this was a great buy for about the 1/2 cost of buying my old remington ammo. I got ready for hunting season and put a new scope on the gun and went to sight it in. Well I never in my life had a problem with the remington ammon but almost 70% of the silver bear sure would not fire and all ammo showed that the fire pin had hit dead center.

I wrote to the seller and got not a thing. I still have it and have to just get rid of it.

Question: When you do come up with loaded rounds that won't go off, what is the proper way to dispose of them? Obviously you don't just throw them in the trash ..... so how do you get rid of a round or two that refuse to fire.

I suppose with centerfire ammo, you could just pull them apart and reuse the bullet, powder and case if you have a bullet puller. But rimfire would pose a pretty tough disposal problem. So what is the recommended procedure?

Doc

MY father in law had an old Stevens 22 single shot bolt action . Many times , when you pulled the trigger , the rifle didn't fire . If you took the same 22 and rotated it in the chamber , it would generally fire . Problem with the firing pin .

There is a place to put duds at the rifle range . Someone eventually takes care of the but I don't know how .

Doc. why would a rimfire be any different than a centerfire. Can't you pull the bulet on that too?

TO be honest I have never had a rim fire cartrige that wouldn't fire when tried again......rotated in the chamber

I suppose you could. I never tried. For centerfire, I have an impact bullet puller, which i don't think will grab a rimfire cartridge. And then, since the primer is in the rim, I would be a bit nervous bout using that style of bullet extraction. I suppose you might be able to use pliers and such to dismantle the bullet, but there is no way to dismantle the primer on a rimfire ...... that I am aware of. I have never had any bad ammo like that either, but I have heard of that sort of thing happening. Also, I have had some extremely old corroded ammo that probably should have been tossed somewhere rather than put through a gun. I also had a few reloaded 20 guage shotshells and the gun I used to use them in has been gone for about 30+ years. I wanted to toss them, but I really didn't know a safe way to do that. 

Anyway, I was just curious as to how you should properly dispose of junk ammo. I would assume there must be some approved way to do it.

Doc

I called the Pres of the club and talked to his wife . He hasn't returned my call .

If I had no place to dispose of "duds" , I think I would place them in a container with old motor oil that would eventually kill the primers . I don't know what effect it would have on rim fire ammo .

Everything I see on Monroe COunty website talking about hazardous materials says...call 911. They have a list of things and give how to get rid of them ...from oils to paints to tires and betteries.....for ammo...black or smokeless powder it says call 911. I can just see that conversation........I have a .22 cartrige that won't fire......DO you think they would send the sheriff out for that?

No matter what activity it is, if you get enough people together, you will find the same cross-section of personalities in the shooting sports as you do in anything else. That's just a fact of life that can't be avoided.

Doc

next time you see that guy you might want to recommend a bullet hammer , does a real clean neat job of getting the powder & bullet out

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=215517

I don't think you can use the impact bullet pullers on rim-fire ammo. Wasn't the original post about 22 caliber rimfire ammo that was tossed on the ground?

Doc

next time you see that guy you might want to recommend a bullet hammer , does a real clean neat job of getting the powder & bullet out

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=215517

I don't think you can use the impact bullet pullers on rim-fire ammo. Wasn't the original post about 22 caliber rimfire ammo that was tossed on the ground?

Doc

That's right . It is 22 rim fire ammo . I know where I can dispose of it at the range .

I was commenting on the stupidity of whoever the shooter was that left it on the ground !