The only estrus that has worked for me

nybuckboy

For the past 10 years I have been bowhunting, I have tried any number of estrus urine scents to attract bucks.

In early season 2008, (Oct 31st or the first few days of Nov) It was early morning and dark as I walked down in the woods. There was a light drizzle and was gonna put up my tree umbrella. I had not been seeing much and figured I'd hang out some estrus.

Many had said it's too early for estrus but my way of thinking is - does a buck really know. My thoughts are that if it smells ripe and ready to a buck he's not gonna question whether it's too early or not.

I hung the scent about 15 yds in front of my stand and then climbed up. I sat there in the dark and about 5 min later I heard a racket about 100 yds away... alot of racket... branches breaking, etc. I thought it was this young hunter who sneaks into the property stumbling thru the woods in the dark and I was getting pissed thinking about it. About 5 min later the same thing.

Then about 5 min later and still dark but light enough to see, a big rack buck with really long beams, came straight through the thick cover and stuck his nose right on the scent. I had drawn the bow back but he must have seen my movement or the tree umbrella din't look right against the early morning sky. He jumped 180 and stepped behind a tree. Before I could get the shot of he took 3 quick bounds and then stopped. Then just disappeared.

The estrus scent was a Golden Estrus "Trophy Leaf" from Wildlife Research. The funny thing was I scoffed at this product for a couple years while I used all the other liquid urine products. To date, The only thing that I can absolutely say has drawn a buck is this gold leaf. I do not include a buck that came down the trail in the direction of the scent b/c that could be coincidence.

PS: I'll not put the scent out until it is light enough to see in the future.

Edited by nybuckboy

I have to agree with using whatever tactic you like regardless of the calendar since deer don't often look at one, and yes a buck would be ready to mate long before the first does are ready and would sieze whatever opportunity that presented itself.

As far as the "estrous" scent is concerned, I believe that it a matter of catching a buck in the right frame of mind and is very unpredictable even during the prime days of the rut.

Another thing few hunters are aware of and even fewer manufactures of "estrous" products will tell you is a deal breaker. One maunfacturer once told the truth about this "estrous" scam that runs rampant but they were the only ones. The reason I am writing "estrous" in quotes is because what they sell you is missing the main ingredient when you use it and that would be the the estrous pheromones that attract the buck.

While these pheromones might be contained in an "estrous" doe pee sample that is bottled, the pheromones naturally dissipate in a matter of a few days and are not present in 99.9% of the urine that hunters use.

Unless you capture urine from a doe that is actually in her estrous period (a very small window of opportunity) and then have it bottled, frozen, and then in the hands of a hunter in a day or 2, then what you have is just a plain bottle of aged doe urine.

Doe in heat / estrous products are one of the biggest scams in the industry as almost none contain the vital and active pheromones that signal the buck.

I have to agree with using whatever tactic you like regardless of the calendar since deer don't often look at one, and yes a buck would be ready to mate long before the first does are ready and would sieze whatever opportunity that presented itself.

As far as the "estrous" scent is concerned, I believe that it a matter of catching a buck in the right frame of mind and is very unpredictable even during the prime days of the rut.

Another thing few hunters are aware of and even fewer manufactures of "estrous" products will tell you is a deal breaker. One maunfacturer once told the truth about this "estrous" scam that runs rampant but they were the only ones. The reason I am writing "estrous" in quotes is because what they sell you is missing the main ingredient when you use it and that would be the the estrous pheromones that attract the buck.

While these pheromones might be contained in an "estrous" doe pee sample that is bottled, the pheromones naturally dissipate in a matter of a few days and are not present in 99.9% of the urine that hunters use.

Unless you capture urine from a doe that is actually in her estrous period (a very small window of opportunity) and then have it bottled, frozen, and then in the hands of a hunter in a day or 2, then what you have is just a plain bottle of aged doe urine.

Doe in heat / estrous products are one of the biggest scams in the industry as almost none contain the vital and active pheromones that signal the buck.

Northern Whitetail Scents...mines being bottled in the morning. I'd say that's fresh enough for me. She's even going to make a gel out of the Intruder since I decoy a bit and it's a little easier to use then.

My old lady is used to seeing that stuff in the fridge for a few days each season B)

Edited by phade

I have used golden estrus and matric doe in heat 2001.

Both have produced bucks for me.Actually i have been very successful

in the last 10 to 12 yrs.I have put a number of bucks on the wall.I think

the way I use them has been key.Prerut I drag starting about 60 to 100 yards

from my stand.Then around my stand 15 to 20 yards then hang in a shooting

lane.I also set up mock scrapes in some of the same locations.I think you have

fool the buck long enough to get the shot I have noticed if the doe's not there they

dont hang around long and the older and more mature he is the less time he

sticks around and also the more nervous he becomes.

Edited by hb270deermanager

Northern Whitetail Scents...mines being bottled in the morning. I'd say that's fresh enough for me. She's even going to make a gel out of the Intruder since I decoy a bit and it's a little easier to use then.

Again there are to many ny deer farms that have scent operations not to be using the real doe in heat.When we have our own deer we can bring that doe into full blown heat.When you get it in that 56 to 58 hour period....You are getting full blown estrus urine.

nevertheless, the pheromones are gone after a few days and you are left with plain deer urine. Edited by skyhunter

Well thats the good newz....it's local and more is just a step away!! If it only lasts a few days...Thats ok by me because i only use pure heat when the local deer herd is in real heat..Any scrub buck will chase a smell of heat but the real boys that i have my sights on know the difference and they dont waste time and energy ...They know when a doe is ready to stand....If they smell it..they will come!!!

Edited by Four Season Whitetails

nevertheless, the pheromones are gone after a few days and you are left with plain deer urine.

Maybe that is why the Estrus Trophy Leaf worked so well. It is a synthetic replica of the real Hot Doe in Heat estrus. I'll tell you what... it doesn't have a strong smell like of the bottle stuff I have purchased over the years,

nevertheless, the pheromones are gone after a few days and you are left with plain deer urine.

I think you are missing the point, entirely. NWS is local, available, and I'm readily resupplied. A few days is all I need for a particular order. And, best part, it's not much more than the mass merch store offerings.

I spend about $35-$40 a season on it and get three orders shipped in that time.

Edited by phade

Ok tomorrow i am ordering some scents for Northern Whitails Scents.

I am thinking of getting some doe in heat and some buck urine.

My question is since estrus scent only last for 3 days should i wait to have them send them so they get here so i can use them next weekend?

If i keep them in the fridge is it still good?

should i have one order sent each week so i have fresh estrus for the weekend.(thats kinda extreme but hey.If it works.)

i talked to the owner of northern white tail scents this morning she said it if i bought my doe in heat today it would still be good for the rut if i keep it in the fridge. since its only a 20mnute ride to her store im holding off until next friday to pick some up so that i can get mine as frsh as ossible befor the first week in november. i gathered up 3 other guys so we can get a gallon of doe in heat then we can each have a quart of it for $25 each. i cant wait the woods should start to get really good soon. one of my buddys shot a really impressive buck thismorning working a scrape line real big 8pt looks to be a mid 130s.

Ok tomorrow i am ordering some scents for Northern Whitails Scents.

I am thinking of getting some doe in heat and some buck urine.

My question is since estrus scent only last for 3 days should i wait to have them send them so they get here so i can use them next weekend?

If i keep them in the fridge is it still good?

should i have one order sent each week so i have fresh estrus for the weekend.(thats kinda extreme but hey.If it works.)

You'd be surprised at how many people she sends weekly orders to between the last week of October and the end of November.

I usually do two orders with a third if I head to Ohio.

cool thanks Phade.I am gonna set it up.

I have an unopened bottle of code blue for sale.Hahahaha.

No problem...she's real nice and will help with any questions you have.

I usually stick with Intruder for buck urine and the doe in heat...the buck with tarsal is another good option for decoying.

A combo drag rag works well...a single wick with doe in heat and about a foot or so behind it I tie on another with the intruder...gives the impression of a receptive doe being pursued by a breeding party of bucks.

With all things, moderation is key, so remember that B) . Don't overuse it in the same area.

I always keep them in the fridge or cooler...the old lady is used to it....double ziplock bags.

Edited by phade

I think you are missing the point, entirely. NWS is local, available, and I'm readily resupplied. A few days is all I need for a particular order.

not missing a thing ; perhaps you are.

My point is that the urine has to be collected from an actual doe in estrous and then shipped and used, all in a 3 day period in order for the hunter to be using a product that contains actual estrous pheromones.

Now I ask you the likelyhood of that happening? Are estrous does always ready on demand when an order is placed, and will the hunter be using the product within 3 days of collection? Not likely.

Maybe that is why the Estrus Trophy Leaf worked so well. It is a synthetic replica of the real Hot Doe in Heat estrus. I'll tell you what... it doesn't have a strong smell like of the bottle stuff I have purchased over the years,

I would agree that the synthetics would be a better alternative to using aged "estrous" scents over 3 days old which don't contain any pheromones.

Biggest scam in the scent industry. Estrous scents which have no estrous pheromones. Priceless!

Edited by skyhunter

I can tell you about 15 years ago, I was out hunting and use some Tinks69 on some cotton balls about 20 yards from my stand, went and got in my stand and just got the bow pulled up and a arrow nocked and there was a buck headed right me less then 50 yards. He was a 7 point. Another time I used Fritz's doe in heat, I put the scent out 10 yards from stand, got in my climber got up about 15 feet or so, started to pull my bow up, next think I knew I had a little 6 pointer coming in. I did not even get a arrow nocked before he was on my sent. Finnaly got a arrow nocked and dropped him right on the spot. Never even ran.Total time from house to stand and back to house with deer field dressed was around 20 minutes.

Is there any links to research on this statement?I cant find nothing.I just would like to know the facts.How do the pheromones die?how do the Box store companies keep them alive?

Actually this information was provided by the "Tanks" scent company; not "Tinks". The link I read this from no longer works.The Tanks company specialized in deer scent from one particular deer and not a potion of combined pees mixed togehter. They told the truth about so called estrous scents on their website and detailed the fact that the nature of pheromones make them unpreservable. Natural dissapation occurs over a few days and nothing can prevent that occurence. That's why they (Tanks) did not market an estrous product like the rest of the companies and instead just sold urine from a single donor deer.

As far as your question "how do Box store companies keep them (pheromones) alive"? answer: they don't.

Edited by skyhunter

So you are trying to say that each and every single bottle of urine came from a different doe!!!! Poppy-cock... My buddy sells dozens of 55 gallon drums to the tinks and code blue guys and they say its from a single deer!!! I will post a pic soon of a great 8pt that was taken today running a line of scent i put down from real scents..Pure Heat.. Yes pure heat is a mixture of urine from whitetails does that are in their 56 to 58 hour breeding window...No doubt about it..full blown standing ready whitetail does and if you could ask this fully mature 31/2 year old 8pt if he thought he was gunna get laid at the end of the line im sure he would agree!!! Come to think about it he did get laid..just not the way he was thinking!!!

Poppycock

"poppycock" yourself; that's what they did; each bottle from a specific deer. Many manufacturers lie; some don't.

Yes pure heat is a mixture of urine from whitetails does that are in their 56 to 58 hour breeding window...No doubt about it..full blown standing ready whitetail does
nowhere in your last post did you debate the fact that estrous pheromones are not present in days old "heat" deer urines. That makes some sense.