Some Turkey hunting questions....

ApexerER

39 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I was thinking about the shoot through mesh after I posted that. The reason I took it down is because there are 3 small windows with the shoot through mesh. Maybe 1'x1'. Otherwise the windows unzip and they are probably 18"x30" or so and there isn't any mesh. I planned on using the bigger opening. Should I just use the small windows with the mesh?

Do you have an Ameristep Doghouse ??  Sounds like it....I have struggled over the last ten years trying to  figure the best way to use the windows...For awhile I buttoned up and shot through the mesh, but after awhile that seemed to be kind of limiting, since the windows are so small and sometimes you only have a few seconds to execute the shot....

What I have settled on the last couple of years is to keep the front flap down, but only about half way..This way you can lower yourself so that you are not real visible, and also use the bottom of the flap to rest your gun on, and trust me, there will times when you will need to have your gun shouldered for fairly long periods of time...

The two side windows, I leave the back part closed and unzip the front far enough so that I have about a 180 degree field of fire..That gives me a little cubby in the back of the blind that I can hunker down in without being skylighted from any direction...

I usually leave the back flap unzipped just a little, not enough to skyline me, but enough so I can peek out the back if I feel I need to...

I also keep a Primos  Trigger Stik in the blind and use it when I have time to get set up with it...However, sometimes things happen fairly quickly and I have to get the job done without it..

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

I always just wore  camo and tried my best to not be outlined. If I do get out after Turkeys I will be using this poncho I picked up last summer, I got it for varmint calling and it seems to conceal pretty well, worked on a couple of Foxes ok. The best part is it is very light and can be carried in a big pocket or game bag and put on when you get on stand.

Al

2020-04-23_184125.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Do you have an Ameristep Doghouse ??  Sounds like it....I have struggled over the last ten years trying to  figure the best way to use the windows...For awhile I buttoned up and shot through the mesh, but after awhile that seemed to be kind of limiting, since the windows are so small and sometimes you only have a few seconds to execute the shot....

What I have settled on the last couple of years is to keep the front flap down, but only about half way..This way you can lower yourself so that you are not real visible, and also use the bottom of the flap to rest your gun on, and trust me, there will times when you will need to have your gun shouldered for fairly long periods of time...

The two side windows, I leave the back part closed and unzip the front far enough so that I have about a 180 degree field of fire..That gives me a little cubby in the back of the blind that I can hunker down in without being skylighted from any direction...

I usually leave the back flap unzipped just a little, not enough to skyline me, but enough so I can peek out the back if I feel I need to...

I also keep a Primos  Trigger Stik in the blind and use it when I have time to get set up with it...However, sometimes things happen fairly quickly and I have to get the job done without it..

Yup, thats exactly what blind it is...i picked it up at Runnings last weekend. My thoughts now are to unzip the front like you said but leave the mesh in the side windows. I don't think I have to worry about the back, I have it tucked into some really thick crap on the edge of the field. I could be wrong but I don't think the turkeys will enter the field through that snarled mess when there are other options. I guess I'll see whats best when I am in it. 

I am more looking forward to running and gunning with my hunting buddy that opening Sunday but it would be really cool to get my first bird all on my own...

4 hours ago, ApexerER said:

I was thinking about the shoot through mesh after I posted that. The reason I took it down is because there are 3 small windows with the shoot through mesh. Maybe 1'x1'. Otherwise the windows unzip and they are probably 18"x30" or so and there isn't any mesh. I planned on using the bigger opening. Should I just use the small windows with the mesh?

I think you're best listening to pygmy on this one. I don't hunt out of my blind much becuase I prefer running and gunning

• Like 1

I surely do miss my days of running and gunning...It was common for me to cover 5 o6 miles ( or more) on foot in a morning's hunt...Even if you're not hearing birds, you get to see a lot of real estate and enjoy the outdoors...

Blind hunting can be very boring if there is nothing going on, but it also has some advantages, especially if you have scouted your areas well and have faith that there are birds using the area..  Back when I was covering lots of ground, I am sure I walked right past many gobblers that I might have heard if I listened more and walked less...  Id' stop, listen for a couple of minutes, give a few calls, and if I didn't hear a bird, I'd be off to listen down the next hollow or over the next ridge.. Sometimes if I DID hear a bird, I'd be in a less than ideal spot to set up, and often you have to set up in a hurry...and don't have time to find the best spot to call from..

Many times since I have blind hunting, I have waited for a couple of hours, perhaps more  without hearing anything, and then suddenly have a bird gobbling close to me..It is also quite a thrill to be able to watch a bird come in from a distance in the open.....In the woods, often you don't see the bird until he is in gun range, at least if you are doing it right...

I sometimes miss hunting the way I used to hunt, but I  have adapted to my new methods and am just tickled pink that I am still able to get out and enjoy the sport....And I'm still killing gobblers, so I must be doing SOMETHING right...Hehehe...

• Like 1

Do not try to shoot through the shoot through mesh unless you plan on turning your blind inside out along with exploding your ears. Make sure the barrel is outside the confines of the blind

Call Me The Teflon Don

• Like 3

One more thing about blind hunting that I didn't see mentioned before is bring a good set of ear muffs! Even with the muzzle pointed outside of the blind the report will cause hearing damage. I just picked up a pair of Walkers game ears, they should help me hear better and they will shut off and protect my ears when i shoot my gun. I'll let you know next week if they work!

• Like 3

One more thing about blind hunting that I didn't see mentioned before is bring a good set of ear muffs! Even with the muzzle pointed outside of the blind the report will cause hearing damage. I just picked up a pair of Walkers game ears, they should help me hear better and they will shut off and protect my ears when i shoot my gun. I'll let you know next week if they work!
My biggest issue I have even with my custom plugs aside from their $1200 pricetag was the microphones kept making me feel like a bird was 20 yards behind me when in reality when I'd take a plug out he was much further away. They can trick you really easily

Call Me The Teflon Don

• Like 2

Lots of good information here.  One thing I would add that I feel is important is  to take your seat ( preferably in your blind) and practice shooting a little.  Figuring out how you can acquire your target, or more likely hold the barrel  up comfortably for extended periods of time .  This best figured out before you have a turkey coming in.

I just did this exercise with my 12 year old this week.  He has been shooting well but was very humbled when he had to quietly and efficiently shoot from his chair.  It's not that difficult but I firmly believe in the 5P principal.

i don't normally use a blind as I like to be able to move, but with a young hunter I think it will be a more successful strategy.  I have a bog pod that we used Caribou hunting that I had my son practice with, and he can safely hold the shotgun on it indefinitely if he has to.  This week we're hunting the wood lot behind the house - really no agriculture around .  I'll use a hen and jake for decoys- it's what has worked for me in the past.  If you use a decoy as stated earlier put them in a bag to carry them.  Be safe and enjoy

• Like 3