trail cam picture now what???

older042

Was on a deer drive by my house yesterday and had my trail cam with me and happened along a nice scrape so i left my trail cam pointing at it and squirted some tinks trophy buck urine in it and continued along. Could not wait to go back and check it so went and switch cards this afternoon got a picture of a nice buck cant tell quite how big any guess? and its not far from my house in a place I have access to but has pretty high pressure from deer drives. Any guess on this size? and how do I even go about hunting this beast.

post-585-0-75808600-1320257181_thumb.jpg

I'm going with 3.5 years. I only stand hunt anymore and think it is the best approach for a certain animal. Driving is purly luck on what deer you may see to get a shot at. Time shows middle of the night so good luck with back tracking this big boy

Edited by scobar

I hunt the area a lot we own 86 acres and can hunt the bordering property as well buts its really all mountains with a bit of logging so its swamps and wide open and lots of prickers tuff hunting. You cant sneak up on deer here not easily anyways but know where they like to run. i just hope a get a glimpse of him when i have the .280 in my hands. He looks pretty think tho his neck looks quite swollen up already and the scrape the cam is on is first sign of rut i have seen so far this year

Wow! That is one big bodied 8 pointer. It was a good thing that you placed your cam on that scrape, you now know what you have to persue. The time shows sonewhere around 2:38 am so he may be nocturnal already. Definitely try to find his bedding area and the trails that he's using. Since he was checking that scrape maybe you can locate others that he has made and look for his rub line. Also try to rattle and grunt, make a mock scrape with more of that scent that you used and try to piss him off! Hopefully no one gets him before you do since you said a lot of drives are made in that area. Perhaps he will show himself during the day looking for some hot does.Best of luck on your quest! keep us informed.

Was on a deer drive by my house yesterday and had my trail cam with me and happened along a nice scrape so i left my trail cam pointing at it and squirted some tinks trophy buck urine in it and continued along. Could not wait to go back and check it so went and switch cards this afternoon got a picture of a nice buck cant tell quite how big any guess? and its not far from my house in a place I have access to but has pretty high pressure from deer drives. Any guess on this size? and how do I even go about hunting this beast.

What a monster, and his neck was swollen, I think he is ready for the ladies. Good luck hope you get him, when you do please post pictures.

I'm pretty sure I know his scape line found another scrape probably 800 yrds away down hill farther no cam on it tho might be his have seen a small 4 pointer and a spike together in area just before season. His body does look big there are not a lot of deer here but the one around end up pretty being whoppers

I would say he is 3.5 and probably 170-200 lbs. Tough to tell with the angle, but he looks pretty solid. I would try making a mock scrape nearby and put the camera on that. If he is coming and hitting it (depending on time), you could probably hang a stand nearby and lure him in with some doe in estrous scent and/or rattling. Just a suggestion. Good luck!

lets say you two meet up, and he now he becomes part of your home decor!! But on the flip the excitment wins out and the hit is only marginal. Now the problem comes in, what do I do now??? Wait a minimum 1 hour, get out of your stand and sneak out of the area. Don't even go to the hit site, just leave and call Deer Search. With a trail now unpolluted from a hunter looking all over the place the success rate for the dog climbs 100% plus. This week we (Deer Search) have recovered two nice deer that the hunter followed what I just said. Yes it's hard to do, but it's the best thing to do for a recovery of a trophy, or any deer with a marginal shot

Edited by scobar