turkeyfeathers

Laptops? School me please.

College suggests Windows or Mac : update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am not sure there are any other options....maybe linux? Stick with windows....way better price point IMHO.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Mac

MacBook Air - if used strictly for light weight stuff 

MacBook Pro - if she is an engineering grad. [13inch ones are cheaper but good]

1 hour ago, mlammerhirt said:

I am not sure there are any other options....maybe linux? Stick with windows....way better price point IMHO.

Nexstep?

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

well that doesnt narrow anything down at all lol

Told you I know nothing about computers 

39 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Told you I know nothing about computers 

Thank them for narrowing it down to all of the computers lol. Maybe they have a list of software she will need to run? That will help

• Like 1

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Does she have an idea what type classes she will be taking? If she has any design classes that may make a difference. Or music composition. What size, weight? Does she want/need a touchscreen/stylus? My daughter takes some design and needed a compatible screen surface for stylus use.

Not that I know any more than you TF but those things may help others on recommends. Great battery life is a must.

Criminal law for major and ballet minor. Heard Geneseo will provide and install free programs 
Great NY State school for law!

I'm Surgical

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Chromebooks.  Based off of Android OS.

• Like 1

NRA Lifetime member.

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." - Native American Indian Proverb

"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am" - Toby & Eileen Green

10 minutes ago, Dr. Jerkman said:

I trust any opinion of@Elmo he's in IT after all

I'm Surgical

Problem is I'm higher up in the chain.  Most of the time I rely on my staff for their knowledge.  I skills has gotten stale.

NRA Lifetime member.

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." - Native American Indian Proverb

"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am" - Toby & Eileen Green

Sometimes the college bookstores have good programs for purchasing computers, your daughter might want to check that.  Geneseo is a great school, I graduated from there many seasons ago.  She will enjoy her time there, great faculty and environment.  Personally, I have moved to Mac products as I have found them to be more stable.  But, as others have noted, they are somewhat more expensive.

On 5/24/2020 at 7:51 PM, GreeneHunter said:

Whenever I or relatives need a new laptop I go to Dell Refurbished --->https://www.dellrefurbished.com/ 

What Dell does is lease Laptop's to small / mid sized companies for 2-3 years and then after the lease is over they take them back - refurbish them and re-load Windows and sell them at decent ( cheaper than new ) prices !

Also included in Dell's Outlet store. Scratch n dent, warranty returns &/or refurbs from lease returned PCs. Not always a huge reduction over new items! At times their regular sales are better $$/deals.

• Like 1