Nevada Bound,.... Mulie Time

eagle rider

Gents I am writing this from 36,000' in the air over Peoria IL. Airline internet access is a joke. I want my $12.95 back. In 3:14 (h:m) I will be in Nevada with my longtime hunting pal and fellow Law Enforcement Professional John B. After a short 3 hour drive in a rental from the airport we will be in Mesquite covered hills of the Paiute Bad Lands on the edge of the Sierras for a 3 day Mule Deer hunt. This is my second one in five years and it should be on every hunters' bucket list. A pair of 270's (one Win and one WSM). Good hiking boots and mid-weight hunting clothes and we are good-to-go. Oh yeah and a kick butt pair of binoculars. Our guide is a old friend who moved out west to the region we are hunting 12 years ago. So back to the flight...... Typical Nevada travel the plane is full of gamblers and women who are making my spider senses tingle. The one sitting across the aisle from me is clearly a lady of evening,.... Young, attractive, probably a warehouse of biological diseases,..... I don't have the heart to tell her what I do for a living. LOL. That being said, I will probably post pics (if successful, keep your fingers crossed). Last time we did this, I took a 4x4 mulie the second day out. I wouldn't mind if lightening struck twice in a row.

Hello there fellas,.... back in the air now. As far as all of the hooker jokes and innuendo's nothing doing. I'm a red blooded American male and fear my wife like the rest of you. LOL. That said, you can't swing a cat after dark in the great state of Nevada without hitting one,..... or FIVE!!!!! The hunt was a success. Three hunters three mulies, nothing too impressive as they go, 3 eights (4x4 in mulie terms). Saw a lot of deer though. It was pretty cold and very windy which made sneaking in on them really difficult. The one I got was from just under 300 yards. In the range finder was dead on at 284 yds. The 270 WSM dropped like a bag of bricks. Having some weird things happen with the computer so I will try to attach the photo. That said unit 262 is awesome deer hunting and not entirely remote. If you decide to do it elevation and lack of humidity take some getting used to. Stay hydrated, lot of water. We hunted the Mt. Charleston Wilderness most of which is above 5,000 feet. Okay I give up,.... someone tell me how to up load a pic.

Congrats, Eagle, my friend...

Great shooting..Can't wait to see the pictures.

Did you bring the meat home or donate it ?

The meat from the 4x4 that I shot in Colorado in 2000 ( my one and only mule deer) was some of the best venison I have ever eaten.

You will love it, awesome hunting. Totally different hunting deer in brush country (western brush that is). My advice is shoot something flat and make sure you are in good cardio shape. The altitude, dry air and adrenalin will really wear you out otherwise. I left half of the meat with my buddy who hosted (and hunted with) us.The rest is going to be donated to a food kitchen in Paiute Reservation.