Recommendation?

I keep hearing about the 280, I just dont see ammo around for it and not many used rifles for sale in the caliber, I will check further though

Heres about 40.....throw out the high end stuff and an AI....about 30 to browse.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx

And some ammo;21 choices......

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&sortby=1&itemsperpage=20&newcategorydimensionid=9842

What....you folks all read the same boring magazine this month? :bye:

:spiteful:

No it just makes sense for somebody new to hunting no to get a gun that you have to order bullets for online because you can't find them in stores!!And a 30-06 is a hell of a lot better than half these other guns listed opinion aside,,30-06 rules for a good all around hunting gun to start with

What ? No 300 win mag recommendations. I love my 300. I have owned it for 8 years ,but so far I have shot 8 deer with it , and not 1 step taken by any of them.My favorite ammo for it is cheap 150 gr rem core-locks. One of the shots does not really count it was in the neck and they usually never run anyway. I realize the 300 is not for everyone esp. if one is recoil shy. I used to use a 308 reloaded with 125gr ballistic tips.The only deer that I had to track more than 50yds with the 308 was a gut shot deer with 150gr factory amo and 1 deer I shot at 278 ranged yards. Of coarse 95% of the deer were shot less than 100yds away.That is when I got the 300 .I did not want that 1 deer 250+ yds away ..to get away.Fil uses a 270 with great success.

EDIT: Just went back and read original post. For a new one gun owner 270 would be great. Low recoil and hits'em hard at reasonable ranges.

Edited by ncountry

No it just makes sense for somebody new to hunting no to get a gun that you have to order bullets for online because you can't find them in stores!!And a 30-06 is a hell of a lot better than half these other guns listed opinion aside,,30-06 rules for a good all around hunting gun to start with

I fail to see what local availability of ammo in a store has ever to do with buying a gun in the US.

You still need to find a load if your a factory shooter and with wanting to plink at 500 yds you want to find just the right one. Buy 5-10 boxes and there ya go for a few range sessions.......run low on Sunday and by Wednesday the brown truck brings more.

Or do you buy a gun and run to Gander to buy one box at a time? B)

"I can't shoot today; I own a gun and have no ammo" :gamer:

Just keeping it interesting Larry. :spiteful:

Edited by Dinsdale

Why Dinsdale...You ARE a RASCAL....!!.....hehehehehe....

You got a PROMISE tonite, or what ?

And all this time I thought you were sort of a mild mannered, reserved type of fellow...

Kinda like Clark Kent.....

That's me....all reserved.....

Like the guys who stand in the ammo isle and open the boxes looking at the bullet. Pontificating that it really looks like that would kill a deer good with that pointy tip.......mean while its a frangible varmint round. But they have some and they are cheaper than them fancy boxes so I'll get some. But just one box cause I wouldn't want to practice too much......the night before opening morning.

<<<<<BIG grin AND laughing>>>>>

And having some fun.....

I fail to see what local availability of ammo in a store has ever to do with buying a gun in the US.

You still need to find a load if your a factory shooter and with wanting to plink at 500 yds you want to find just the right one. Buy 5-10 boxes and there ya go for a few range sessions.......run low on Sunday and by Wednesday the brown truck brings more.

Or do you buy a gun and run to Gander to buy one box at a time? B)

"I can't shoot today; I own a gun and have no ammo" :gamer:

Just keeping it interesting Larry. :spiteful:

LMAO..whats a gun without a bullet thats all i have to say!!!

You guys are really taking this TOO far. Kinda fries my azz when these threads head in a downward spiral.

You know what, now that I think about it, I remember last winter Gander Mountain was having a big ammo sale and had about 15 boxes of 264 Winchester Mag ammo at a REAL good price. Maybe I'll recommend that caliber to my buddy?? I'm sure all the sale stuff is gone but the smart GM staff will re-stock that 264 fodder to the ceiling. Good plinking?

You are having WAY too much fun here....

Dinsdale, GO TO YOUR ROOM !

It's way past my bedtime anyway.

Maudie...Fetch me my GERITOL.....It's right over between my dentures and my glass eye..

You up yet?

Hey, somebody get a mirror and see if he is breathing....................................><grin><

Yeah, I made it out of the rack one more morning.

, Larry..

Now if I can only locate my walker, I'll see if I can make it to the bathroom.

Damn trick knee has been giving trouble ever since I wallowed around in the muskeg up in Newfoundland.

At my age if you wake up in the morning and don't HURT somewhere, it means you're dead.

pretty simple since elk is included, you got 2 choices.

.270 weatherby magnum or 7mm Weatherby. Either with a Leupold scope.

Geeze, why don't the Weatherby mags come to mind when I think of a cartridge for Joe Average to shoot with factory loads ...??...

Must be senility..Early onset of Alshiemer's, I think.

Is it time for my nap yet..?...

Dinsdale, GO TO YOUR ROOM !

Yes sir......<<<<sigh>>>>

Actually dad was big on making us sit on these rock hard dining room chairs and making us fold our hands like in church.

My sister and I would then start kicking each other under the table.....and when mom got out the wooden spoon out.....YIKES; she ment business. :angry:

How about a 460WBY when on the topic.....what some recoil between friends, shouldn't make a difference. :fie:

....and when mom got out the wooden spoon out.....YIKES; she ment business. :angry:

Oh yes... I remember that. She broke it over my arm once cause I shielded my head. She busted out laughing about it and forgot about why she was so mad at me, thank God.