hunter to hunter distance-how far ?

132 eight pointer

My brother had a guy set up so close to him one year that he could tell the lunchmeat on the guys sandwich was boloney! I would say thats too close! Myself, I tend to give enough distance to other hunters so we are not hunting the same deer or cutting the deer off from one another.

That's funny but I'm sure your brother didn't think so !

Well I can answer that from past experience - recent events however you want to think of it. I mean anyone can come up with a flat yardage answer but I think consideration and line of sight compound the answer, safety is more of a constant and end result. And, the other hunter comming into the area may not even be looking for you.

In 09 I hit a fav wma in the climber, thinking being up would be safer and it gave me the line of sight advantage. Before noon I spotted another hunter moving in by the edge of a feild. I, was up in a tree but about 80 yards away. Both of us had some orange but he never looked up and didn't see me. And if he did, didn't care when he picked a spot. Well i saw a doe tool through past him but looking at the land and him being on the ground he never saw it. Then about an hour later another guy walks just about under my stand, what a tool I thought and 20 minutes later he walked by right back and asked for directions being completely lost. Not quite an hour later I spot a nice 7pnt making it's way through kind of behind me. This allowed me time to stand, secure a line of sight/shot lane away from where anyone else - the other hunter was and I took a safe shot. I would imagine the noise starlted anyone close by, if memory serves that was the first year rifle was allowed in that area of 7m.

I would never sit close enough to be in view of any hunter, state land or no state land... I will go as far as it takes to put distance between me and another hunter in the woods... especially someone I don't know... the only exception would be with a young hunter hunting with me that I might need to keep an eye out for... even then there would be strict rules of where, and when he/ she would be shooting... and I would rather sit with the youngster and not hunt (meaning not even carry a weapon... well maybe a camera)...

• Like 1

If I can see another hunter, I'm moving. I don't care if I was there first or if I've got what I consider to be a great spot. I'm out of there! And that is regardless of whether I know them or not. If I can see him, his slug can make it to me. That's not an acceptable situation for me.

If I can see another hunter, I'm moving. I don't care if I was there first or if I've got what I consider to be a great spot. I'm out of there! And that is regardless of whether I know them or not. If I can see him, his slug can make it to me. That's not an acceptable situation for me.

+1. If I know you're there, you're too close.

How about the guy today that got within 50 yards and looked at me using his rifle scope rather than binoculars, then had the nerve to sit down and hunt. I was ready to kill him and yelled (literally yelled, who cares about deer at this point) right in his face asking just what the hell he thought he was doing. He said he thought he was far enough away from me. He didn't even realize the major problem with this whole situation.

I hunt on private land. Opening weekend there were five of us. We were all at least 150-200 yds away from each other and we all know where the other is sitting so we limit our range of fire so as not to include any of the directions where the others are sitting.

I hunt on private land. Opening weekend there were five of us. We were all at least 150-200 yds away from each other and we all know where the other is sitting so we limit our range of fire so as not to include any of the directions where the others are sitting.

That's exactly how we do it.