Seed germination

First year planting food plots. I've sprayed glyphostate x3 and killed everything on my old logging roads. Planted some brassica on Saturday. I planted on top of the decaying leaves. Afterwards got thinking that I probably should have raked the leaves off to get to bare soil. How many days generally to notice growth. I've got a open day on Friday thinking of checking it out. Should I rake the leaves off and plant again or will I be ok?

Turnips sprout fast 2 or 3 days. Raking would of been better, you may have to seed again. Just remove to dead material do not try and work up ground you will just bring weed seed to surface.  You may have growth visable.and just need to fill near spots

• Like 1

1 minute ago, G-Man said:

Turnips sprout fast 2 or 3 days. Raking would of been better, you may have to seed again. Just remove to dead material do not try and work up ground you will just bring weed seed to surface.  You may have growth visable.and just need to fill near spots

We used to spread turnips (with potash as a carrier) into standing corn late in the summer with an airplane. After the corn was harvested, you could turn cattle out on it. Worked great, but you had to seed heavy. 

They would germinate in a couple days.. leaves are bad news always wanna try and keep them out of your desire darea to plant. Even established plots will get choked out with heavy leaf fall in November/October. Take a leaf blower to it if you can, check for visible sprouts and ungerminated seeds then spread more.. Unless there's a ton of sun light on your logging rd, brassicas tend to not do the best in these locations.. In my experience. Better suited for clovers, small grains and such.

• Like 2