Would you pass on this one?

TEAZER

I would let him go, but thats the best part is watching and observing in my opinion. In my hunting party I would say 4 of 6 would shoot... Those 4 would be the least experienced...

Study my prey and it's habit's I have found to be the best part of hunting. I had a fawn come up to me during bow season and it spotted me at 15ft it stomped it's little front leg to get me to move at about 10 ft, cutest thing I ever saw... After he passed his mom came through and followed. One of the most memorable times hunting in my life. Not like I would have take the fawn but the doe was a question as it was my 1st year bow hunting, answered real quick with a draw down and continue on...

That being said, hunting is what you make of it... Try to be as safe as possible and avoid the crowds if possible and know all the rules and regulations and follow them. Other than that if you like the deer you shot thats all that matters, it's YOUR accompishment be proud you are amoung the few. Most hunter on here who say I would pass have years of experience shooting many deer so shooting a yearling is not needed for meat or to prove a tag is filled. Many people start as deer hunters not as many make it to "Mature Deer Hunter"... Again if you enjoyed it and it was legal thats all that matters. It's a nice buck if it's your 1st mount it...

bvet, you are right that food source is the primary factor. Yet by observing the deer in an area over the years, you can come to fairly accurate age estimates using the antlers. Deer in the same area are likely to have a similar diet and as such should grow antlers at the same approximate rate. Judging age by antler mass, length, and spread may not be entirely accurate, but it is very field applicable.

Age is the primary factor in the sense that you can have all the nutrition in the world and still won't have a 1.5 year old buck with a huge rack.. are there some exceptions? of course... sam's example of adirondack bucks is a good one.. they have very limited food source yet generally older adirondack bucks will have far bigger racks than any agricultural 1.5 and 2.5 year old

Nutrition is the primary factor if we're talking abou mature buck versus mature buck.. as a general rule a well feed mature buck will produce a larger rack than a mature buck with limited food source.

Edited by nyantler

Sorry BVET, the filling of other people's tags was not directed at anyone specific. Never meant to suggest you did it. Just pointing out to the many people who may read this forum that do use others' tags, that they are in the wrong.

The early years of a buck may be pretty easy to pick out by amount of antler, but once they start maturing I would think the food and genetics would alter the antler size too much to consistently guess age right. Of course a well experienced eye may pick up on many other factors of the deer we may not even be able to describe and come to an accurate conclusion.

Definitely a three legged stool: genetics, food, and maturity. My main point earlier was to refute the idea that antlers should not be used to estimate a deers age. I personally feel comfortable estimating a buck's age by his antler growth, though I do also take into consideration its body form.

Edited by KEVA

No offense taken on my end. I've known guys that would have their wives, and everyone else they could, get extra tags. The claim of a lost license was another way people would scam the system. They would take a buck, tag it, but not report it. Of course, by doing that, they could claim they lost their license, thereby getting another buck tag.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't have let him go because i have the same problem with my neighbors.(orange county, NY) They have so many friends and family that come to their land every gun season; shooting anything and everything with antlers. Plus they always seem to walk on my property or blaze around on quads, which is driving me crazy trying to be courteous and polite but its getting rediculous now...sorry for hijacking your thread and venting but does anyone else have the same problem with neighbors and random people coming on to your POSTED Property?

If its posted they have no excuse for crossing over onto your property. Catch one and prosecute. I am sure your neighbor will begin stressing the importance of staying off your property after that. Horribly disrespectful and outright illegal on their part.

Pass, because this is my 38th year deer hunting. The problem with taking him is, now your done. So when you out with a doe tag and a 3.5 year walks through, you get what I mean.

My property is posted and respected because I started a QDM with over 20 neighbors. Long story short, it works. This year in Erie county the group took 3 - 3.5 year olds 125+

Great buck and I would guess at 1.5 years

• 1 month later...