CVA Muzzleloader Accura V2 vs Optima and many?

hueyjazz

I've own a couple of muzzleloaders for many years but have never hunted with them.  Newest one is over ten years old and is at least an inline but a bear to clean and not suitable for BH.  I would set this up for Blackhorn.

I've narrow my choices down to either a Optima or an Accura.  Is the Accura worth the extra money?  I don't mind the spend it if it's value added.  I treat my guns well and hold on to them a long time if they serve the purpose.  I'm pretty anal about cleaning.  I collect and shoot a lot of WWII surplus guns that shoot corrosive ammo.  Cleaning is a lifestyle.

I have my own hunting property which is all hardwoods.  Seldom would I ever have a shot over a hundred yards on my own land.  I can hunt neighboring State land that can yield longer shots but even then, not many.  Generally I hunt from tree stand  set by intel of my trail-cams.   Is the Mountain rifle the way to go or does Plains rifle not really make that much of a difference.

Here I get very confused.  I know a lot of people are against Creakote worried should it chip and the stainless underneath is chemically altered and now not as corrosion resistant??  How is that applied?  Powder coat?  I'm betting they roughen stainless and if exposed, it could accumulate the corrosive salts better.  

The other options are stainless and Nitride Stainless.  Nitride is a very hard coating that I assume is vacuum metalized on stainless.  They wouldn't need to roughen surface.   It seems a reasonable way to go in the three options but I value those that have experience.  

Last, I was holding out to closer to hunting season to see if there would be deals.  Now I worry just about places having stock due to Covid.  Buds Gun Shop seems to have decent prices.  Any other decent watering holes.

Thanks in advance for any help

50 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Optima is all you need , the minor upgrades are more aesthetic than anything. 

Agreed but you will need a bh209 plug as the one that comes with it will not ignite it 100 % of the time. 

• 1 month later...

Well I follow your collective advice and settled on the Optima V2. 

This weekend I mounted scope (Old Bushnell Banner I had), installed Blackhorn Breech plug, made up 100 grain loads by volume, used Game-crusher sabots with Hornady XTP bullets and then sighted it in.

Wow

It took a whole three shots to put it on target and then three more told me this thing is stone cold accurate. 

One thing I did immediately notice as in my old muzzle loader I use Pyrodex pellets,.  using Blackhorn you don't have to wait two minutes for the smoke to clear to see what you shot.  :-)

• Like 4

Well I follow your collective advice and settled on the Optima V2. 
This weekend I mounted scope (Old Bushnell Banner I had), installed Blackhorn Breech plug, made up 100 grain loads by volume, used Game-crusher sabots with Hornady XTP bullets and then sighted it in.
Wow
It took a whole three shots to put it on target and then three more told me this thing is stone cold accurate. 
One thing I did immediately notice as in my old muzzle loader I use Pyrodex pellets,.  using Blackhorn you don't have to wait two minutes for the smoke to clear to see what you shot.  :-)
Grest deal

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk