What broad head tips for deer

luberhill

That is like asking what caliber is the best to shoot a deer with. You will get a multitude of different answers. And most all not wrong.

It really boils down to your set up, and personal preference. If you are shooting a low poundage bow, you may want to go with a fixed blade head. If you are shooting a higher poundage bow, you'll have more energy to drive a mechanical head through a deer, for a complete pass through. A complete pass through is optimal, because you then have two holes leaking instead of one. That makes recovery much easier.

Myself, I have always preferred a fixed blade head. And have taken deer with a variety of different brands. I'm currently using the Muzzy MX4. As that shoots very accurately from my bow. 

Different bows, prefer different broadheads sometimes. To shoot the most accurate.  

Tell us more about yourself and your set up. Perhaps then we can narrow it down a bit more for ya.

I would reccomend mechanicals, based on my own experience (5 for 5) 100 % recovery on deer with them using my crossbow, and 6 fo 6 if I throw in my last bow kill.  I never approached that level using fixed 3 blade muzzy's and and wasps from my bow.

I used my last 125 grain, 3 -blade o-ring style "blackout" mechanical last season.  6 of those accounted for lots of venison.  This year I am going with 100 grain, 3-blade NAP spitfire mechanicals.  They were not cheap but are supposed to be among the best from high speed crossbows.

Several here have recommended fixed. You might want search this site for an old thread which Culver posted on this site, about a scientific study of recovery percentage on a military base.  The crossbow with mechanical broadhead came out on top by a significant margin.

Edited by wolc123

100 grain is the easiest size to find.  That must mean they work best.  I always used 125 grains before, but they can be tough to find these days. If you don't know what size, you can weigh them on a postal scale.

Your practice field tips should be the same weight.  Mechanicals will usually fly identical to field tips, but fixed may not.  I wasted a mechanical on a target proving that and I won't do that again, especially with those costly NAP"s I bought this year.

Edited by wolc123