January Hunting in Alabama?

BizCT

Anybody here ever hunt in Alabama in January? If my scheduled trip to Minnesota for Bobcat doesnt work out because of lack of snow, I am thinking about a last minute trip to Alabama to hunt whitetails with the rifle during their rut. I have never been there before, but have just touched based with a few outfitters who have openings. They are fairly reasonably priced, $2100 for a 4-day hunt. License is like $150.

Anybody hunt down there or any other state in January for that matter?

Thanks!

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I hunted in Alabama once. It was back in 2000, my last out of state hunt. I agree the prices are reasonable, and accommodations are generally good. The place I hunted at was pretty strict about shooting only 8 points or better with a good spread. Some places will fine you if you shoot something smaller. Plus they allow you to shoot a doe or two, but in most cases don't let you do it off stands in their so called "trophy" areas, so in my case I didn't even get an opportunity to take that doe. I think when you talk about southern hunting lodges, the success is not nearly as good as they claim. Yeah, SOME nice bucks get taken, but plenty of people(probably the majority of people) go home without any since most places have strict rules in place. I think in general it's a fun, comfortable hunt, but success rates are not even close to places out west or in Canada. I guess if one wants a better bet for success when it comes to outfitted hunts, they typically have to cough up more money to get it.

Yes, the places I have seen say 8 points or better OR a min. spread of 16". I see like you said you can take 1 or 2 does also, which i could care less about. I only care to hunt bucks.

I'm just looking for something to fill the void if i cant go to Minnesota. Dont want to wait till March for my Canada Wolf Hunt. It sucks knowing I should be leaving in 11 days and now I might not be.

As long as you understand that the odds of getting that 8 point with 16" in reality are not too great. I hunted eastern Montana four years in a row back in the mid 90's and never came back with less than an 8 point or better. Plus they had NO issues with a hunter shooting any kind of buck they desired, even a spike. Of course a hunt like that these days will cost you a heck of a lot more than one in Alabama would and so would the license. So like I've said, you sort of get what you pay for.

Doesnt have to be 8pt. AND 16", its 8pt. OR 16".

What other states have open deer seasons in January?

Im already going to Wyoming for Mule Deer/Antelope in October 2012 and paying a ton. Im just looking for something this January if I dont to Minnesota.

Thanks! Already been to Texas for whitetail, want somewhere different. But anyway, I always thought late Nov. was best in Texas, thats when I went. Didn't know they had a January season.

Also only interested in Rifle, not ML so that eliminates some states.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Oh Jeez, that's got to be the biggest crock I've ever seen. Did you see the requirements of what a hunter can shoot?? And a $5000 fee is assessed to those who shoot deer below the requirements. They can keep it. MIght as well shoot and tranquilize the freaking deer first and then put the tape measure on him and open his mouth to check his age, and then you can just slit his throat if he measures up otherwise you can just let him wake up and run off. At least you won't be screwed out of $5000 if you accidently shoot and KILL one that doesn't measure up.

Is it fair-chase, no fences? Seems almost like a preserve to me?

Gun Hunter

• 8 point with a minimum 16" inside spread
  • 9 point or more with a minimum score of 160 inches

A $5000 fee will be assessed to the guideless hunter who kills a buck which does not meet these minimum requirements.

Oh Jeez, that's got to be the biggest crock I've ever seen. Did you see the requirements of what a hunter can shoot?? And a $5000 fee is assessed to those who shoot deer below the requirements. They can keep it. MIght as well shoot and tranquilize the freaking deer first and then put the tape measure on him and open his mouth to check his age, and then you can just slit his throat if he measures up otherwise you can just let him wake up and run off. At least you won't be screwed out of $5000 if you accidently shoot and KILL one that doesn't measure up.

haha, guess we posted the same time and feel the same way. For $5K im going to Wyoming next year and can shoot whatever size Mule Deer I want and whatever size Antelope I want. Both are pretty much 100% success rates on 100% fair chase, no fences, animals. This year the biggest Mule Deer went 184, id be more than happy with 154!

It's an island in the Mississippi River that's largely been bought up by an owner (9400 acres). Pretty unique fair chase, actually, with a ton of hunting history - deer can and do swim freely. A very early place of QDM. They take their QDM seriously. It's often a study location for major universities (Georgia, Miss, Texas, etc.). No different than some of the other popular fair chase outfitters - but of the highest character.

Edited by phade

I hunted Alabama in January 2008 & January 2009. Went with a couple friends and had a great time. We were just looking to extend our season and have a good time. We all killed deer and one guy killed a hog, both years.

The weather was tough one year, 23 degrees and then a tornado!!

Good chance for a bobcat or coyote also.

I sure would be nervous to be one of the unlucky unguided hunters on Guiles, that $5000 penalty would probably keep me form shooting anything but a super wide and heavy buck. Id rather just have a guide so he can tell me which ones I can shoot lol.

+ 1

I went to Alabama from 91-96 and took three 8 pts and 5 does during my 6 trips to that state. I went to red oak, white oak. macon county guide service and master rack.I really enjoyed it as its one of the last states where you can rifle hunt in January. Like someone already said its a way to extend your season and have a good time. I always got a laugh leaving NY with several inches of snow on the ground and arriving in an alabama airport where thye were still cutting the grass. :)

Too last minute to book a hunt down in Alabama. I talked to quite a few outfitters and spending over $2K for everything for only a 50/50 chance to get a buck, just doesnt seem worth it to me right. None of the outfitters really stood out in my opinion.

However, I just happened to check the Pennslyvania hunting seasons and they have a late archery season! 12/26 - 1/16. My unused buck tag from November can be used. So I did some research and found some state land right off route 84, about 1 1/2 hrs away only on the NY/PA border. This piece of state land has 2 food plots, etc. so I might give it a shot after the new year. I talked to a few people who hunt PA and said the woods are empty in January and then if I got to the food plots, Id see deer. We'll see.....

Will bucks still have their antlers?

Too last minute to book a hunt down in Alabama. I talked to quite a few outfitters and spending over $2K for everything for only a 50/50 chance to get a buck, just doesnt seem worth it to me right. None of the outfitters really stood out in my opinion.

However, I just happened to check the Pennslyvania hunting seasons and they have a late archery season! 12/26 - 1/16. My unused buck tag from November can be used. So I did some research and found some state land right off route 84, about 1 1/2 hrs away only on the NY/PA border. This piece of state land has 2 food plots, etc. so I might give it a shot after the new year. I talked to a few people who hunt PA and said the woods are empty in January and then if I got to the food plots, Id see deer. We'll see.....

Will bucks still have their antlers?

Some will,some may not......you know as well as I that some hold them sometimes through the whole season and some fall early. Weather across the entire NE region has been crazy this year and I would suspect they may hang on for quite some time. JMO

Finding deer on SGL here can be done,I would even go as far as saying you could probably find a real nice buck on SGL if you find a big thick swamp and hunt the edges....was always my favorite and usually best producer. Good luck!

Instead of driving 5 hours back to where I hunted back in early November (Clearfield County), I did some research and I will probably try SGL 180 in Pike County.

Looks like they have some food plots there, etc. You know anything about this land?

If I dont go to MN. My plan is as follows:

Monday, Jan. 2nd (Holiday at work), go to PA to check out the land, mark some trail, etc. Hunt the afternoon watching food plot.

Then go up and hunt there the next 2 weekends after that. Hunt all day Saturday and Monday both weekends. No hunting on Sundays in PA.