Havens Point

ChrisW74

Hi Guys, 

Year two of learning to hunt and looking at some possible new spots (and all the rules regs etc with each). One that I was eyeing to check out this season is Havens Point but what I'm reading on DEC page and what I'm seeing on On-X app doesn't necessarily align and I was hoping someone here may have some experience with this location and be willing to give some advice.  

On the DEC page (https://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/6072.html) It says the following:

Havens Point--Waterfowl, deer (archery) and small game hunting are permitted in this area. Access to the property is via Pine Edge Drive. The dirt road running through the center of the property crosses private property and is closed to unauthorized traffic. No vehicles are permitted beyond the paved portion of roads. The vacant land and farm immediately north of the State lands are private property, and it is the hunter's responsibility to obtain permission from the owners before crossing or hunting on these lands. Care should be taken to avoid the fall of spent shot on homes on adjacent properties.

On the On-X app (screen capture below) it seems like there is a dog leg access without being on private property. (the end Pine Edge Drive I have marked with the Access Marker) 

I do have valid Managed Land Access and Parking permits.

Does anyone have experience with accessing this area?  Any parking issues or just square up at the end of the paved area?  Is the app correct or do you have to cross private as the DEC post makes it seem?  Whats the rabbit or deer hunting here like?

thank you for any and all insight, advise or help.

-ChrisW

IMG_2301.thumb.png.2c93427df700b5d1d4ef9dd0007de66a.png

1674873639_ScreenShot2020-09-27at5_24_49PM.thumb.png.af8018cdd1472a138e78b2cdd9323bfc.png

It’s a small piece of property like fireneck place there’s little parking areas at the end of the road. The thing about those to spots is there’s always a chance a big boy is going to come in from the neighborhood looking for does,but that’s true about any place you hunt on Long Island. I’m not sure if you live far up Island but take a ride and walk down you’ll be out in 15-20 minutes tops.

Good luck out there!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rachunter said:

It’s a small piece of property like fireneck place there’s little parking areas at the end of the road. The thing about those to spots is there’s always a chance a big boy is going to come in from the neighborhood looking for does,but that’s true about any place you hunt on Long Island. I’m not sure if you live far up Island but take a ride and walk down you’ll be out in 15-20 minutes tops.

Good luck out there!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you  Rachunter ... Understood.  I live in Queens NY by the East river and have been working 7days a week this year. So I'm having to rely a lot on satellite map and app "scouting". I'll only get to go out on days I take vacation. I saved all my vaca for deer season.  This coming Wed - Sunday I took off and I'm looking fwd to it! Good luck to you too!

On 9/27/2020 at 6:47 PM, squirrelwhisperer said:

I am not far from this piece of land. If you need a partner for rabbit, sounds like fun to me. I don’t have a dog for rabbit tho. 

Truth is I have never been to this spot. I will def check it out and report back.

I used to duck hunt there probably 25 years ago. Hunted there for a few years and the place would get pounded hard but back then we didn’t have many public land options. Nowadays with all the land that’s opened up to hunting that place may have turned into a little honey hole. It’s a small piece so I’d be careful about posting names and screenshots, just som3 friendly advice

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bruno1 said:

I used to duck hunt there probably 25 years ago. Hunted there for a few years and the place would get pounded hard but back then we didn’t have many public land options. Nowadays with all the land that’s opened up to hunting that place may have turned into a little honey hole. It’s a small piece so I’d be careful about posting names and screenshots, just som3 friendly advice

Even if you tell people where to hunt most are to lazy to make it much farther then when they reach for thier wallet at R.E.I. in soho. I am familiar with at least 7 large statelands in centeral ny. I see about 3 to 5 guys a year on each piece with as much as 5000 acres per spot. Go public!!!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kmartinson said:

Even if you tell people where to hunt most are to lazy to make it much farther then when they reach for thier wallet at R.E.I. in soho. I am familiar with at least 7 large statelands in centeral ny. I see about 3 to 5 guys a year on each piece with as much as 5000 acres per spot. Go public!!!

Totally different situation down here. Land is a premium with way too many hunters to go around. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can’t make it out with work. Cams have been slow with the moon and warm temps anyway. I’ll be out Sunday for sure. Been getting pics of a good one. Always comes in on a NE wind. Gonna blow NE on Sunday. 
Btw, the lodge is looking sharp!

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 1

I have duck hunted here in the past and can tell you that you will not be the only deer hunter here. Walking thru the woods I saw a ladder stand up last year and the year before a ground blind. This place gets hit hard by waterfowl hunters. If you do hunt here I recommend during a weekday. 

• Like 1