At what point do you feel something......

First-light

I would say I have a lot of compassion for most wildlife. But I do not feel bad about killing a deer. As long as I have done my best to make it quick and clean. After a kill I will admire the deer and reflect that I am lucky to be able to do what I love and I will say thanks. I honor the deer by doing my best to make sure it is cared for in a way that no meat is wasted and the hide is used. I also have a few rules that some may find silly but to me and those that where my teachers do not. A few are I make sure I take the tongue and tuck it in before I take a picture, I do not sit on the deer while getting a picture taken and I do not put hats or decorations on a mount. That is just out of respect for them.

I have noticed that hunters reactions may vary by how the dense the population is that they are hunting. A hunter who shoots hundreds of deer will likely feel a lot less than one who sees few deer and takes a more limited amount.

I have felt emotion after taking a deer. or any animal, i guess. I can look back at different times since I was 8 and first walking into the woods deer hunting with my father. I remember the first deer i ever saw shot that year and it was a doe. Dad had taken a fast walking broadside shot and hit her across the front of the chest. It took her front feet out from under her and she was pushing her chest like a sled across the snow and giving out a hair raising blat. I didn't go back out again that season. I guess that was the 8 yo reaction. That one made me very sad and question my interest in hunting. Dad didn't force me but I was back at it with him the next year

After taking a lot of deer over 30 years of hunting I don't feel remorse or guilt. I feel something but until this thread never really tried to find a word to describe it. I guess it is more a feeling of reflection. a feeling of thankfulness that i was successful and able to do something I love. For me the intensity of these feelings vary by situation as well. With a group hunting I don't think it is as strong. But If I am out bowhunting by myself and have no one around from the hunt to the drag it seems to strike me stronger.

Culvercreek,

Nice way to convey the way you feel out there, thanks.

You're all 1 step away from being a cold blooded murderer. :fie:

I was out there aiming at a little fawn, and I know I missed because my hands started shaking. It's mama must of been killed eariler in the season. kinda glad I missed.

LOL...blur go back to bed.....