Fly Fishing - Where to start?! - Got a Rod for Xmas from the old man!

burmjohn

Hey guys,

So... This Xmas the old man bought me a fly rod and reel for xmas. Its beautiful, really really nice rod and reel. I always wanted to try it, had no idea he was getting me this. I was so excited I went on ebay the night he gave me the rod to order some flies :) Anyways, I've been watching some youtube video's on how to cast, there seems to be a few different ways of doing it. And from what I've read on the web you can practice in your yard as well. The stream right down the block from my old man's place is rumored to have trout as well, its a smaller stream, but apparently the trout make their way there.

With that said, any suggestions on how to learn, what to do, what to read? It looks like a blast, and I can't wait to give it a try. Hoping I can get a neighbor there to show me the ropes, he is one that mentioned the trout in the stream down the road. Might have to stop by with a few goodies to coerce him to giving me some leasons and pointers.

good for you that was a great gift! congrats. and welcome to the sickness. lol.

there are always alot of fellas around that are happy to show you the basics, sometimes a fly tying club is nearby in larger metro areas, a fly shop can help you with locating them.

the one thing to keep in mind is avoid casting on your lawn if you can help it, parking lots and grass lawns tear the hell out of fly line, its much better to practice on the water if you can, or spool up a practice spool with cheap line

firstspeckonnew1wt-1.jpg

Edited by Guides ForHire

Welcome to flyfishing Burmjohn...!!...

It can be as simple or as complicated as you make it. A double tapered line, a tapered leader and a few flies can catch you a lot of fish, and you don't have to be Lee Wullf to catch fish..

Trout fishing is great, but you can also have a ball catching bass, bluegills and many other species..

Flyfishermen tend to very generous with info..Hopefully you can find somebody local to give you a few basic casting lessons and tips, and you'll be prepared to catch some fish.

It can become a passion very easily... Have fun...

Oh Boy your in trouble now. I am a very avid Fly Fisherman. There is just something unique about most of us. The willingness to share the water, swap a few home made flies and some tips are pretty common things amongst us. Once you get up to snuff I suggest making a trip up the the West Branch of the Ausable River near Lake Placid. Hell I will even join you. It is by far my favorite water to fish. I will warn you right now that Fly fishing is like golfing. One rod wont do it all just like one club. If you are anything like myself you will have an arsenal of flyrods in weights ranging from a 2wt for those tiny Brookie streams up to an 11 wt for slamming the salmon on bigger rivers. I have yet to see a flyshop yet that doesnt give peivate or group casting lessons. Also places like Bass Pro and Gander Mt. have courses as well. If you were closer I would be happy to give you lessons myself. Been at it since I was 12. Landed a couple nice steelhead just yesterday on the Salmon RIver with one. Heres a link to some quality flies at a great price you will find hard to beat. http://www.flydealflies.com/ Pretty soon you will have a fly tying bench and feathers all over the house lol. Go ahead and cast on the lawn you will be fine and your equipment as well. Just clean your line afterwords. This is how most courses and everyone starts out anyways. Fly line is tough stuff and if taken care of will last you alot of years.

Oh while practicing dont tie a hook on the line. Just a small piece of yarn will do the trick. Your line and rod is doing the work not the hook so you dont need it snagging and getting caught in the grass or worse on your body at first. Good Luck.

there is also a site fly fishing new york. they tell you what working in flies, also all kind of tips. I try to get down to the beaverkill each year for a day or two and beat the water with the fly rod. I just also try to see what flys on on the water and then try to match to what flys in my fly box. I got flys from the 60's from Herters that still look new and work as well as a new $5 fly. I learned to cast on the water, that ensures no damage to the line or a practice fly. good luck

Sweet... Lake Placid is a haul. I always see people fly fishing on the side of route 17, I guess in the Roscoe area? Hopefully there are a few places near my old man's cabin to give it a try. The delaware river is right there, but not sure if people fly fish there?

The Beaverkill and Willowemoc flow along Rt 17 and both are legendary trout streams..

There are also many other good streams in that area, and they often aren't crowded.

The Delaware is also a great fishery with lots of big browns and rainbows, but let me warn you, those trout are VERY selective and hard to catch. Fishing there can be a humbling experience.

Burmjohn. I'm sure that you are aware of the trout stocking on L.I. in spring and fall. There are quite a few areas to catch trout in Nassau and Suffolk. with the flyrod.

I started fly fishing in the late 80's and found that fishing for bluegills was the best practice in the world, especially in May when they started to spawn. In the shallows you can watch how they pick up, or strike a nymph and how they can suck it in and spit it out without you feeling it at times. You'll learn to watch your line for the slightest touch from a fish and once you learn to detect the strike your on your way ( You can use what they call a strike indicator to see the strike too, but I prefer to watch the line.) I absolutely loved targeting bluegills with the flyrod especially the bigger one's.. And you can catch bluegills and crappie in winter months if you scout around and find some fertile water that hasn't iced up.Early spring sunny days can really be good for 'gills at times as the sun warms the water in the day.

I don't do it as often now, but I spent a lot of time on Largemouth bass.They are great to catch on poppers(pickerel too), and there are a few pretty good ponds on the Island that have bass and pickerel. When you hook your first nice fat bass on a flyrod it's a great feeling.

I did some saltwater flyfishing, but prefer freshwater with the fly rod.Saltwater was too much work for me. I still do it, but rarely. (I mainly saltwater fish from sit inside kayaks so fly fishing sometimes becomes a little tedious for me. The L.I. Sound has some good spots and you don't get the waves like the ocean on the south shore. The south shore bays can be good too.

There are clubs on L.I. Some years ago I was a member of the Long Island Flyrodders, and thought that the members were VERY helpful and they have trips.There is also a saltwater fly club, but I'm not too familiar with it.

Fly fishing isn't hard it just takes some practice. I'm sure you'll love it. Good luck

All good advice above. I've been an avid Fly fisherman all my adult life, going on 4 decades now. A couple of things 1) I would start out with either 5wt or 6 wt line, and get WF (Weight Forward) line it will help your casting getting started, 2) try nymphs and wet flies first, over 90% of trout feeding is under the surface, this will help give you confidence, 3) two must casts to learn initially, the standard cast and the roll cast, these two casts will get you in most waters easily, 4) over the years I probably have a collection of 300 or more flies on me all the time, but it is really not necessary for our area here in New York there are some basic patterns that will consistently get you fish.. the Dark Hendrickson, the Light Cahill, the March Brown, Pheasant Tail (Isonychia) and the Blue Wing Olive, any combination in wet, dry or nymph, for big trout the wooley bugger and or black nosed dace. 5) Lastly, if you can find a copy - try and get a book called "The Curtis Creek Manifesto" it is a great beginners guide book. All the Best! & Tight Lines! Steve

BrownTrout05272011.jpg

Edited by SteveMcD

Agree: Lots of good advice here. I do, however, recommend practicing on your lawn...It is easy and convenient to practice on your lawn; not always so easy or convenient to get on the water. You need not restrict your fly fishing to classic fly fishing waters....any stream, pond or lake will work. Target panfish, and bass as well as trout. Some of the best of fly fishing is with small rods on small streams.

For the record: I learned to fly fish in Roscoe over 50 years ago...on my side lawn...using a hand-me-down bamboo rod (originally belonged to Roy Steenrod)...my instructor: my mother! Today, I prefer small streams, fishing my Wynantskill Wimp upstream...then fishing back down with my Royal Flashabou.

Good Luck,

Early

Fly fishing can be as complicated or as simple as you make it... either way it is an exciting way to fish... most places that I fish don't have the kind of room to do the fancy casting that you see on TV... where you can lay line out for many feet... flip casting in a small steam is much more common for me... there are streams where the trout absolutely won't take anything but the hatch in that area during that time of year.. and there are places where they will take almost anything presented.

You can get as far into fly fishing as you like... and its hard not to when you get hooked on it..( no pun intended)

Burmjohn.. Go to the DECNY website and go to the trout stocking list and you'll see where and approximately when they stock trout in Nassau and Suffolk County.

. There still should be a number of trout left in the ponds and creeks from the October and November stockings. The DEC site also gives the number of trout stocked in each location.

There is also the Connetquot and Nissequoge Rivers which has fly fishing for a fee. They have some rules like barbless hooks and a few other rules so be sure to ask.

There were some disease problems in the Connetquot, so call and see how the fishing is. I'd call the park, but the DEC, Stoneybrook fresh water fishing department could probably tell you. I used to call them quite a bit a few years ago and they were absolutely terrific

The Long Island Fly Rodders can also help with that info.

Hope this helps

Good LUCK.