Culver trapping 2020

Culvercreek hunt club

32 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Wow. I never even thought of it. My biggest issue with getting into trapping was the 24-hour rule. I know in more remote states/provinces the rule is 72-hours. But if the cell cam counts, I could just set 1 trap in front of it.

you just need to be able to get there in the time so the animal isn't sitting too long. Nice part is on the cam sets you know the knight before or before you even get dressed that the animal is there. On a road type line you can get there pretty fast. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, First-light said:

I have never trapped but would love start when I move to the cabin full time. My main reason would to take out some predators but what does a yote pelt go for these days?

For an eastern hope is maybe 40-50 this year. (hope). Problem with eastern vs western (so I am told) is that the easterns, while larger, have far more color variations. You can get an eastern that grades as a western becasue the color matches them but remember this is a garment market and buyers like a uniform color so there is less matching and mixing. The more they have to do with a fur the lower the price is. Coyote is about the only thing of value. Many guys I am talking to are trying to develop alternative markets like making hats and mittens and other items to sell themselves. I've seen skunk mittens going for between 100-250 a pair. Beaver bed comforters that are $2,000 for a queen size. Coon hats for $100

• Like 1

Well as it turns out the fox that abandoned it's buddy at the first catch site just couldn't resist the open field set where we remade it from the coyote catch he other day.  That is about 100 yards from this initial catch site. We went to the edge of the catch circle and reinstalled the pipe and left the catch circle. Made kind of a combination  hay set /  pipe dream set.  Zero for coyotes today. 

34.jpg

35.jpg

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

is there a big market for mounts that a person didn't get themselves? 

Great question. I'm not sure, but I know most will take a furbearer for some credit towards work done. My dad was given a wolverine pelt in Canada once many years ago, I want to say he got like $150 from a local taxidermist for it. Obviously that's more unique.

he like frustration...lol. It's humbling to see so much activity near the sets and not get a catch. when it snows you see it but my buddy knew that coyote visited and when he went down he couldn't see any sign of it becasue of hard frozen ground. 

e2c51b2b0bc76e3882a230905786f260.jpg
These are 40 yards from an empty trap lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

e2c51b2b0bc76e3882a230905786f260.jpg
These are 40 yards from an empty trap lol

when we had that big snow, thaw, heavy rain and the re-freeze with a dusting I should have taken pics of the print right above the pans of the traps on the 1/2" thick ice crust. 4 letter words flew that day...lol

• Like 1

@The_Real_TCIII here's an illustration. Camera date and time is correct. you can see me luring the set. It's a gap in a rock wall with a game trail using the opening. Nice tight pinch point. ....AAAAAAAAND the coyote walks the wall and doesn't go near the trap. If you can picture this, the trap is about a foot to the left of my left knee as I am positioned. 

2222.jpg

11111.jpg

• Like 3

[mention=5278]The_Real_TCIII[/mention] here's an illustration. Camera date and time is correct. you can see me luring the set. It's a gap in a rock wall with a game trail using the opening. Nice tight pinch point. ....AAAAAAAAND the coyote walks the wall and doesn't go near the trap. If you can picture this, the trap is about a foot to the left of my left knee as I am positioned. 
2222.jpg.7a0f7812142e1aea209fa74571175910.jpg
11111.jpg.9f773828949621834a3c2cf0e9eaf163.jpg

Wiley!

A couple quiet nights but a new property we set last week is also starting to produce. Nice female in a dirt hole set at a logging road crop corner. 

This Sunday we are headed to a property to try something new. We've been asked to get rid of "some beaver". No idea what this is going to turn into and have never seen the property before.  We have foot holds for drowners and 330's ready to go. Stay tuned. 

36.jpg

• Like 13

What method are you using?  We have been using contractors sand in bags currently. Less organic matter so when we heat is a big pan it doesn't smell burned.  heat at med heat stirring. I think using flaked wax we are 1 part wax by volume to 4 parts dirt. sprinkle in and stir non stop until you see an even dark color. spread out in a thin layer like on a sheet of plywood and we use a rake to stir it while cooling or it clumps and you end up crushing them apart. store out of heat and in a container to keep it dry. 

I put a layer of waxed dirt under the trap, Fiberglass insulation under the pans and bed and cover with the waxed dirt. Obviously the neater and tighter you get the trap bed the less waxed dirt you'll use.   We bought a "cookie cutter" for the traps we use and it doesn't do great in soil with any rocks but it keeps you from over excavating too much.  I like keeping the trap, especially the pan area, a little lower than surrounding but not in this weather. I try to keep it level and give any water a spot to run away from the trap top.  

oh and I cut the trap bed center lower to tuck the trap chain into so the trap isn't rocking on the chain. Much easier to get a solid bed. Since the chain is surrounded by waxed dirt there is no danger of the chain freezing and getting a pull out becasue of short leverage. 

https://www.minntrapprod.com/Volkers-Cookie-Cutter-Trap-Bed-Cutter-Select-Your-Size/productinfo/CUTTERS/

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Well it's a moot point because wax is as scarce as toilet paper! I'm going to dry out topsoil anyway and keep looking. Luckily my wife never goes in the basement lol 91164e1282d1091ed4ad00ad0caef9ca.jpg

Is there a Hobby Lobby near you? 10 # blocks....download their 40% off one item coupon and it ends up being like $18. shave it off with a rasp, a plane or even an old cheese grater works.

If not try sand. It may end up working better becasue it won't absorb. Also got to the dollar store and buy a bunch of the table salt with the little flip top pour spout. it's dirt cheap there. Bed in sand....sprinkle salt on it, finish setting and then sprinkle salt across the whole set. Even out from the actual trap footprint a bit. You don't want the circle of the trap to be the only area not frozen. Should get you down to about 18-20 degrees without freeze up

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

6 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Is there a Hobby Lobby near you? 10 # blocks....download their 40% off one item coupon and it ends up being like $18. shave it off with a rasp, a plane or even an old cheese grater works.

If not try sand. It may end up working better becasue it won't absorb. Also got to the dollar store and buy a bunch of the table salt with the little flip top pour spout. it's dirt cheap there. Bed in sand....sprinkle salt on it, finish setting and then sprinkle salt across the whole set. Even out from the actual trap footprint a bit. You don't want the circle of the trap to be the only area not frozen. Should get you down to about 18-20 degrees without freeze up

great idea on Hobby Lobby

3 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

great idea on Hobby Lobby

It's back by the candle making stuff. That is where I get the wax to dip the traps. WAY cheaper than trapping supply places.  If you want to buy flake wax try Minnesota trapping supply in the future. They have flat rate shipping and I just bought 90# of flake wax and it'll be delivered today. It was just marginally more expensive than the Hobby Lobby deal but I'd have to make multiple trips on multiple days and then take the time to shave it. So I bought it.  Hobby lobby will do in a pinch though.  

It's back by the candle making stuff. That is where I get the wax to dip the traps. WAY cheaper than trapping supply places.  If you want to buy flake wax try Minnesota trapping supply in the future. They have flat rate shipping and I just bought 90# of flake wax and it'll be delivered today. It was just marginally more expensive than the Hobby Lobby deal but I'd have to make multiple trips on multiple days and then take the time to shave it. So I bought it.  Hobby lobby will do in a pinch though.  

Hobby Lobby has a 3lb bag of "pearls" I'm hoping is in stock. I'll head there later. Thanks again, great idea

4 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

A couple quiet nights but a new property we set last week is also starting to produce. Nice female in a dirt hole set at a logging road crop corner. 

This Sunday we are headed to a property to try something new. We've been asked to get rid of "some beaver". No idea what this is going to turn into and have never seen the property before.  We have foot holds for drowners and 330's ready to go. Stay tuned. 

36.jpg

I've had a guy in trying to get some beaver out of some of my ditches. He's gotten a couple with one being over 60 pounds in his estimation. 

14089.jpeg

• Like 3