Not a hunting question.

Paula

I have a rental house. I rent it out by word of mouth. You have to be careful about not renting to people because of DSS or Section 8 of discrimination. I believe DSS is just the department that over sees the Section 8. Section 8 will inspect the property and make you fix anything that that don't approve. Also Section 8 will set the rent. I have seen way to many Section 8 houses in the Ithaca area, I would sell my property before I would go that route. I helped a landlord friend of mine out with a house (he has 50 houses or so), i was a 3 bedroom house with a attic. We filled a 20 yard roll off dumpster in a day just cleaning out all the junk and garage they left behind.

thanks hector, i do have section 8 now and have had them for 7 yrs. but this is first time i am responsible by myself for getting tenant in there and i am so nervous about picking the wrong person that will damage and leave garbage behind like you said. I don't mind the inspection because it might be something that needs to be fixed that i might not know about. i have never failed for any reason. This whole thing just makes me nervous

dss and section 8 are tow separate things. ection 8 is run by hud a federal program. Dss is basically welfare. dss pays the rent and from my clients and dealing with both, I can say do your best to stay away from dss. Most have little to no regard for the property they live in.

Edited by bubba

So what's the deal? Is it worth it to own rentals? Half the people I talk to say don't do it, but they keep the properties. The other half say it's the only way. Please advise. Thank You.

My experience has been that it's a crap-shoot; if you find (and keep) good tenants, it's a decent source of steady income. If you get a bad tenant, it can be a nightmare. I've had both.

It can actually be a decent tax write-off, if your accountant knows what he's doing. :umnik:

• Like 1