shed hunting?

Red

ive never really been into shed hunting but i figured with no snow on the ground and seeing some of the guys on here are having some luck finding shed that i would go out for a couple of hrs today. i live in the city of buffalo and figured i would check a spot close to home after an hr or so of looking i could see a group of dee a few hundred yards away it looked like 17 doe and a really nice 8 pt i snuck around and got to about 40 yrds with in the buck while all the doe were watching me from about 70 yrds away man i wish i wouldve brought the camera with me. well the buck was curious as to what i was doing there so he walked to with in 20 yards of me and they all ran in the direction i parked my truck. as i was heading for my truck i ran back into a small group of deer 3 of the walked up to with in 8-10 feet from me and i could tell 2 had lost their antlers some time ago because their heads had healed pretty good but the 3rds heads had 2 nice round spots from where the antlers were dripping blood.

post-1581-0-03306000-1327622465.jpg

post-1581-0-20921600-1327622473.jpg

post-1581-0-62987200-1327622495.jpg

i went today to try and find some sheds but it was like a blizzard down the since i was 100 yards from the lake i was soaked in minutes and as soon as i got home the weather let up lol ill have to go back next week during better weather

I decided to try shed hunting too. I went out a couple of times this week to wood lots that have lotsa deer. I didn't find any, but while I was there I tried fox calling(no gun). I called in 2 reds the 1st day and 1 red the second day so I had a good day.Got the crows pretty fired up too.

I really do want to get some sheds so I'm gonna keep looking.

i forgot all about this chewed up shed that i found this year during shot gun season. i found it in a hedge row between 2 corn fields i cant tell what size deer it came off of it looks pretty old and is chewed up really good.

post-1581-0-54846700-1327884841.jpg

Hey, I have a few of "natures tooth-picks" that look like they could be the mate to that one! Funny you saved it- only an antler addict would hold on to a piece like that

Not so sure this shed hunting stuff would be much of a hobby if they were all in that kinda shape,lol

lol i agree if they all looked like that there wouldnt be many be looking for them. i left it in the front hall since hunting season then seen it when i was heading to church thismorning. i cant wait for this snow to melt again this week to get back out and look again.

3 hrs of shed hunting today and i didnt find any. i did get some really good exercise while walking and seen a bunch of deer i could see a group of 8 together threw the binos that were all bucks with out their antlers that really got my hopes high of finding a shed but i didnt find any. i seen plenty more deer and some really nice views.

post-1581-0-12540800-1328054674_thumb.jp

post-1581-0-46828200-1328054698_thumb.jp

post-1581-0-62542400-1328054724_thumb.jp

post-1581-0-54737600-1328054750_thumb.jp

post-1581-0-56827200-1328054776_thumb.jp

post-1581-0-13530000-1328054802_thumb.jp

Cool shots Red!

Gotta be one left in there for ya somewhere! Hope you can sniff it out before the competition....

I wouldn't expect an antler spends much time on the ground there before somebody scoops it up and takes it for a ride down the highway!

thats what im guessing the place has to get hammered with people. i came across a guy and his little kid that where there njoying the deer and looking for some sheds. it was nice the kid was very excited to be out there and was telling me about his land and his dads new buddy stand his sons excitement was pretty sweet to see.

• 4 weeks later...

4 hrs of shed hunting today in a new spot i didnt find any shed but i did see a bunch of deer tons of coyote crap and tracks and 6 deer eatin all the way down to nothing. then i found a dollar and a new dog leash lol

I finally found my first shed about two weeks ago after hitting a small patch of woods pretty hard that holds many deer. It is only a little fork horn but I was psyched.

When I came home and showed my boys (7 year old twins) one was fired up to give it a shot himself. One nice day after school we both had some free time and he asked to go so we gave it a shot. He was so into finding poop, tracks, rubs...I was in my glory. As we walked a deer trail, two does broke out of some cover and my boy nearly crapped himself. He wanted to follow them so we pushed our way through to an opening and BAM....A great 3 point shed was right in front of him. He didn't see it at first. I had to bite my tongue from tellling him where it was. Eventually he looked at it, took a double take, bent down and grabbed it and swung around to me with the best smile I have ever seen!

We spent the next five minutes high fiving and whooping up the woods and another HOUR looking around for more since I could not get him to leave (Mom was NOT happy we were late for dinner!).

Here's to the future hunters!

• Like 2

I finally found my first shed about two weeks ago after hitting a small patch of woods pretty hard that holds many deer. It is only a little fork horn but I was psyched.

When I came home and showed my boys (7 year old twins) one was fired up to give it a shot himself. One nice day after school we both had some free time and he asked to go so we gave it a shot. He was so into finding poop, tracks, rubs...I was in my glory. As we walked a deer trail, two does broke out of some cover and my boy nearly crapped himself. He wanted to follow them so we pushed our way through to an opening and BAM....A great 3 point shed was right in front of him. He didn't see it at first. I had to bite my tongue from tellling him where it was. Eventually he looked at it, took a double take, bent down and grabbed it and swung around to me with the best smile I have ever seen!

We spent the next five minutes high fiving and whooping up the woods and another HOUR looking around for more since I could not get him to leave (Mom was NOT happy we were late for dinner!).

Here's to the future hunters!

thats awesome right there, i cannot wait for my son to be old enough to be able to do these types of things. i'm still in my first year of hunting myself and have fallen in love with it and i now love anything to do with all types of hunting. kinda wierd it never kicked in for me before i was 30. guess i just never felt like doing the whole cleaning of the deer part of it but hey the fun of it all is deff worth the 5 minutes it takes to clean um and get that over with. turkey is really what got me going, id hunt turkey year round if ya could.

i'm heading out this weekend to move my new trail cam i just got for my bday from the wife so im gonna take an adventure and scope for some sheds also. probly to late in the year to find good ones but hey if it gets me out of the house and into the field im ok with not finding them