Where are all the Squirrels?

Northcountryman

Itchin to get outside after bein holed up in the house since Christmas , so I decided to go out for a walk w/ my .22 and see if I  could bag me a few squirrels.  Walked around for about an hour and a half and saw ABOLUTELY NOTHING (well, except for 2 in-flight birds lol)!!  It was wierd because the woods were eerily quiet and notwithstanding a few coyote and rabbit tracks, no signs of life whatsoever.  I went to a trail where I had marked several nests back in the fall and noted mutltiple still intact, but again, nothing!!   What gives?

Guess I May have to go up to Sullivan next week to bag a few...:D

What time of day did you go out? I normally go squirrel hunting about when the sun is hitting the trees in the a.m. and mid to late afternoon, when they are most busy. Also, sometimes they clear out the food in an area and move along.  Also, sometimes it helps to pull a deer hunting trick and just plant the butt in a likely area and let the woods be. You probably stand out pretty prominently against the snow, and maybe alot fo snow crunching?

Really , so you think it’ll make a significant difference if I go early am Then instead ?I never had to before , but you may have a point .  Also , Sit and watch for awhile ? Why , cuz of the snow? Note : I have hunted deer my whole life but NEVER tried for them in the winter , always In early fall in full foliage !! 

Weather has a lot to do with a Squirrel's activity, when there is a cold snap like the one we are currently having they will tend to lay low in their dens. I have a couple of Squirrels that have nests in a big oak tree in the back of my barnyard and they visit my chicken coup just about every day stealing feed, during this cold snap over the past week or so they have not come out of their nests.

Never had much luck hunting them when it is nippy cold, once the temps turn and warm up a bit their activity picks up and they will be out and about grubbing for food.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

Like Airedale says...alot has to do with weather....if it is sub zero or close, they will conserve their energy and stay warm.  Like all critters, they want to eat in the a.m. every thing else being equal, and before going back in their nests. They also like to sun themselves  in the top of trees on sunny days, sometime for quite a while. 

They certainly get more alert and see us out further with the leaves off of the trees. I prefer some leaf coverage on a still day. Listen for them rustling or chatting and slowly stalk in on them. This is killing me...I havent been out after them this year and we are burning season now!

2 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

Really , so you think it’ll make a significant difference if I go early am Then instead ?I never had to before , but you may have a point .  Also , Sit and watch for awhile ? Why , cuz of the snow? Note : I have hunted deer my whole life but NEVER tried for them in the winter , always In early fall in full foliage !! 

Sorry , I meant Squirrels !! Lol