big 8 point yesterday!

Geno C

On my way to the gym i saw about 30 deer in the field and one was a big 130" 8 point! i was so surprised to see the buck with his head gear still. The body was massive also. the past few weeks in the same spot i noticed all the bucks had no racks and then i saw this guy around 5pm passing the state park...

figured id share

That's interesting Geno..I've been doing alot of scouting lately in central NY, as we dont have 3 feet of snow everywhere this year, and saw racks on bucks up to about a week ago. I've been wondering if the very mild winter would contribute to them keeping their racks later.. If nothing else, it should keep more fawns alive

On my way to the gym i saw about 30 deer in the field and one was a big 130" 8 point! i was so surprised to see the buck with his head gear still. The body was massive also. the past few weeks in the same spot i noticed all the bucks had no racks and then i saw this guy around 5pm passing the state park...

figured id share

How'd you know they were all bucks with no horns? Close enough to see the onions or pedicles?

good report Geno. I honestly havent seen an antler on a deer in a week or so, and Ive been watching when I can. If thats a state park, Id be in there looking for sheds!

yeah its been about 2-3 weeks since those other bucks i see all the time dropped. this 8 point ive seen about a month ago and i was shocked he still had both sides on. i was going to go in there about 2 weeks ago to shed hunt but been buisy. i did see 3 guys walking around in there so i assume they were shed hunting. i might go in there this weekend

Cool deal.

Years ago Darien Lake Theme Park had a fenced in area just north of the park on Rt 77. Inside the fence were a bunch of deer and (IIRC) other animals. We used to stop and snap a few pics at different times of the year. Had a spiker come up to the fence and I grabbed his horn! Although they were in the fenced area it was a fairly low fence and I think they could come & go when they wanted to a degree.

Cool deal.

Years ago Darien Lake Theme Park had a fenced in area just north of the park on Rt 77. Inside the fence were a bunch of deer and (IIRC) other animals. We used to stop and snap a few pics at different times of the year. Had a spiker come up to the fence and I grabbed his horn! Although they were in the fenced area it was a fairly low fence and I think they could come & go when they wanted to a degree.

You're lucky you didn't come away with a few hoofprints on your forehead.

No sooner did i say that then i saw a nice buck out in a field on the way home today, sporting his full rack. I was laughing when i saw it. Nice buck too, couldnt see points but it was way past the ears.

good deal! its so strange to see them with head gear still lol

Geno Im pretty sure i know what park you saw that buck in. Im actually thinking about going out over there tomorrow to try and find some antlers. If its the place im thinking of it gets pounded with shed hunters. Hopefully they didnt find them all lol.. I saw 2 150 class bucks on Sunday in Iowa both with antlers still. It was an awesome sight!!

John