Could Mild Winter be a blessing??

upstaterifle

Can't wait till turkey season....

Sitting there quiety, waiting patiently, stealthily watching those birds come in on a string and then....

SWACK!! Darnn! I missed those gnats flying around my head again!

LOL! Make sure you all are packing!, I've stocked up on my permethrin and deep woods off already.

Anybody have any theories as to how this extremely early seasonal change might affect the turkey breeding season? Does anyone think it may touch off early breeding? I don't have any idea, so I'm just asking.

Anybody have any theories as to how this extremely early seasonal change might affect the turkey breeding season? Does anyone think it may touch off early breeding? I don't have any idea, so I'm just asking.

What Doc said! I'm interested as well being that I don't have that many opportunities to get out there in the woods this coming May.

Yeah, deer had easier winter, bugs will be more abundant and turkeys might start breeding early.....

My concern is that my lawn is starting to get green & mowing isn't too far in the future.

Hate mowing, althought only 2nd to shoveling snow. LOL

I am sure the warm weather and sunny may have a trigger on early breeding. Down south they are already breeding and there season opens on APril 1 for hunting...

Well, won't that effect the effectiveness of calling if most of the breeding happens to finish before the season opens in May?

Hey, by the way, speaking of how this wacky year might effect the bugs, I was working over in a picnic area next to the house and I was driven back in the house by mosquitos. Other years at this time of year I generally have a week or two of bug-free work time. And then when the bugs start it has always been the black-flies that start the season off and not mosquitos. Well I have to say that they are out there and really hungry already. Maybe a result of the mild winter????

We're at least a month ahead, weather wise. This is definitely one for the record books. Western part of the state is heading for the warmest March on record. The jet stream dives far south out west, and pushes way north in the east. Such a long streak of mild weather. Not seeing to many therorys on why this is happening. A little worried that early breeding and laying is going to happen for the birds. The red wing black bird males have established territories, waiting for the females, which are due back in 2 weeks. Robins are enjoying feast of earth worms, that have already surfaced, buds are swelling on the trees, misquitos bites, people ctting their lawns, all on March 16 th. It's likely to flip over, so enjoy while it last.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter