CVA Wolf 209

Fantail

Well it looks like I'm going to pick up the compact. Friend of mine has one new, hasn't even shot it yet. He's having a little trouble with bills this month so I offered to buy it, and I like that model. Should be a good basic ml. Hunted with muzzleleader before but only for a day here and there in SZ. Interesting how a new location can change perspective.

In my hands.

PR2610.gif

I've read on their blog that max loads of 150 may not burn properly and it's recomemnded not to go over 120 for clean burns. Well, the 50 gr pellets seem like a good way to start out but would a 100 gr charge be more then sufficient for 250 gr sabots / powerbelts?

Two 50 grain pellets are more than enough to push that type of bullet and more than enough power to kill a deer.  I have a Wolf also, although it's the older model without the quick release breach plug.  I use 2 triple 7 pellets and get darned good accuracy with several different bullets from this little inexpensive gun. Haven't hunted much with it in the 3 years I've owned it, but like it very much.  My uncle's T/C Encore that cost about 4 times more and seems to weigh about 10 pounds more doesn't shoot any better than this cheap little gun either.

• 3 weeks later...

So I got to sight in the Wolf last Sunday. Happy with a decent 5" group about 1" high @ 50 yards shooting open sights while my eyes arn't to tired - works. I could scope it but less can go wrong without one for this season. Had more trouble getting all the supplies I wanted then I did sighting in.

Nothing personal Fantail and don't take this the wrong way...but your eyes are not capable of the accuracy the gun is. If you did scope it I bet you would be astounded at what that gun is capable of. I know all the iron sight guys are gonna hop all over me but most guys are not capable of long range iron sight shooting.

That front bead covers up a lot of the animal at 75 and longer. before my eyes got bad I shot Iron sights and what I found that helped was using the TOP of the bead as the impact point and sighting it in that way. Just worked better for me not covering the target.

Try that Fantail if you get a chance. I bet a couple inches can hide behind that bead pretty easy at 50 yards.

Or maybe install a peep sight,I would think 5in group at 50 yards would leave a Large margin of error at anything past that.But you do have nice gun.I held one at Dicks.Lots of guys dislike the CVA for issues they had in the past.I don;t have one in my gun cabinet but lots of guys do.

Sights are fiber on the Wolf and they do cover a bit of the target. But so would a dot. Got one each on the 12 & my sons 20, they have some settings as most do, and my 1300 has the hi-viz sights (which work great btw). I'm going for what I call smoothbore range. Or they walk. When I can dedicate more time at the range, funds to try different bullets, scope, etc., I can fine tune it to a 100+ yard gun.

Using 2 x P 5050 pelets & Powerbelt 245 hp's. With CCI 209m primers.

Perhaps not the optimum load for this gun but I know I can generaly find those supplies.

i got the wolf Two years ago Killed three deer with it. I want to get another one for my wife. For the money you cant beet this gun. easy to clean and shoots very good. I put on a 50 dollar simons scope and it works great. Just go to gander mountain and tell them what you got and they will set you up with mounts. You will be happier with a scope because muzzle loaders are like shooting rifles. I shoot 100gr trip 7s and 250gr shock waves.

They are a great gun...especially for the amount they cost. I get all tangled up and want to know that ny guns are on out to 200......then hunt thick cover and shoot the majority under 75...lol. But knowing I could if I had to is a good feeling.

I alsp use the shockwaves. Have heard negative comments but they have performed very well for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I might learn to like this Muzzleloader  8)

Had to pass on another 4 - he was a week early. Sunday I passed on a doe because a yearling was with her, figgured thats them breaks & this is her lucky day because I had an antlerless burning a hole in my back. Monday morning was great, started off with a breif shower before sunrise to quite the leaves. But nothing was moving. Packed up for home and figgured why not go for an evening run then leave. It was like a capet of potato chips with all the leaves so I tried the turkey call trick getting out to the stand. This doe showed up about 5:30. Funny thing - I shot her about 5 yards from where I took my 1st deer this year with the bow.

I like that stand. :)

post-3-131455357829_thumb.jpg

She toppled over after stumbling for maybe 10 yards. Bullet did not pass through. When I finished cleaning it up there was massive damage & coagulation to one side in the lower shoulder area, found about 1/3 of the round half shroomed up. So I lost some meat there. But as a consolation I took my 18v cut saw and saved the ribs.

• 1 month later...

I've been using the shockey's gold sticks--and hate them.  I'm going to loose powder (not sure which one yet) but doubt I will EVER go back to sticks or pellets.  Way too expensive for less control and NO advantage.  I'll just preload my speedloaders.  Just as easy, just as quick, more control, and way cheaper.