2022 Wolc Journal

wolc123

12 hours ago, JJJWNY said:

I just got some Hornady SST 12 gauge delivered this week from Bud's  $13.25/box... Didn't think that was too awful bad in today's day and age.

I found Remington AccuTips 12 gauge at a local gun shop but they were $25 a box!  They had SSTs there too at $20.  You got a great deal! 

I was at Runnings yesterday and shelves were pretty full, no limit on boxes and 9mm Winchester FMJ was $20 for 50.  I wonder if they are selling off all their ammo before the change in law on Sept 1??

Busy morning today.  I put the bush hog on, as a counterweight, then cut the shooting range nice and low.  I used my medium fork extensions on the loader to reposition a truck cap blind.  It took my a while to get the floor within half a bubble of perfectly level, but it turned out ok.    
C05A1926-7D96-42B5-87C7-600C12A3E6CB.thumb.jpeg.6e406d9a134a499608eb6600b07cd791.jpeg

I will look for a north wind to hunt this spot.  Hopefully, we get one between September 10 and 18th, and the old doe that I saw here last week shows up again in the same spot.  

Besides a shot that way (to the south), I can get a hundred yard shot to the east, from the back door, and a hundred yard shot to the east, from the front slider.   I doubt I will open the south side slider, because there is thick brush that way and the property line is only about 15 yards away,  

After placing that stand, I drove back to the house and filled the Durango’s cargo hold with guns, shooting supplies, a big swivel chair, and my pop up   blind. 
328C7375-0D97-4A21-BF3A-40392EC32957.thumb.jpeg.c298781ce3f955003b4fd9524d2d344d.jpeg

When I got back to the range, the only thing I forgot was my hearing protection.  No big deal, as the great suspension on that Durango made for a quick trip back to get it.  I won’t even shoot a .22 on the range without hearing protection.  

That’s my recoil pad lying next to the ear plugs on the 50 yard bench.  I always keep that in my shooting box.  It tames the crap out of the hard kickers like my Ithaca 16 featherlight and the 870 12 gauge.  The Marlin 512 is heavy enough, that it don’t kick too bad, as is the T/C Omega, which kicks about the same as the Ruger 10/22. 

586810FA-EF7F-45CC-99F6-18C4FE46371C.thumb.jpeg.aa36712219b02d8e42cc9ed74453be50.jpeg

The shooting conditions were a lot better this morning, than last time I tried.  It was quite hot, but there was no wind and no mosquitoes.  I started with my Marlin 512 and used (3) SST’s to get it dialed in .  It is now adjusted to 2” high at 100 yards, and 3” high at 50.  I have (18) SST’s left.  

Next, I checked my T/C Omega ML at 50 yards and found that it was about 3” low.  A quick adjustment brought 1” high (where I wanted it at 50), so 2 shots and done with that one.

I changed targets and fired a 3 shot burst with my Ruger 10/22 and hollow point Rem Yellow jackets .  The 2” diameter group was centered 1/2 “ to the left and 1” above the bull, and I made no adjustment.

I ended the range session with a “one and done” 50 yards shot with my short 12 gauge open-sighted Remington 870.  The Federal classic foster slug punched thru 3/4” high and 2” to the right. 

As far as the guns go, I am all set for the September 10 opener now.  I will probably flip a coin between the Marlin 512 and the ML at home.  I have lots of ammo for the ML, but it is more of a pain to clean.  The barrel is soaking now, with Traditions foaming bore cleaner.  I won’t clean the other guns until September 18.

I will go with my Ithaca 16, over at my parents place.  I also have lots of slugs for that and it always shoots very well on my grandfather’s old farm. Maybe that’s because he was the original owner of the gun. I would like to take one mature doe from there and another at home, a week apart.  

When I finished shooting, I placed the pop up blind, put the padded swivel chair in it, and staked it down.  From that position, I can get a 200 yard shot down the gas line or down my range, a 15 yard shot to the turnip plot, or 20 yard shot to the corn.  I will need an east or north east wind to hunt it.

CA96BB65-3DAB-4BC6-9BA7-32E45FDD7132.thumb.jpeg.908eb41af51310f642cf429cf568d58d.jpeg

After that, I trimmed some brush around a “natural” blind near the center, that can be hunted in almost any wind.  Some of that brush was poison ivy, so I sped back to the house, threw my clothes in the wash , put on shorts, and jumped in the pool to wash off all that nasty oil.  I’ll know tomorrow if I got it all. 
32F05DEB-9106-4C63-8FBE-3EC9FEE1C48C.thumb.jpeg.d0b49646d95387b01c6288c66cac733f.jpeg

E7D04ECA-1DC7-4E06-B0E0-396B943635BF.thumb.jpeg.2700d9fd70080229ecf962db712fd223.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

It was too damn muggy in the house last night, so I slept out in the camper, which is in the pole barn (it has an air-conditioner which works ok on the 20 amp outlet that I have it plugged into out here).  

Right now, I have that ac turned off, and a window cranked open, so that I can listen to the pleasant sound of rain on the tin barn roof.  That rain arrived just in the nick of time.  Now I can bush-hog my old clover plots, so that they will be super tasty and attractive to the deer, for the September 10th antlerless gun season opener.  

Edited by wolc123

After lunch with my parents at their place, I cut a big locust branch that they wanted down in the back yard.  I used the remaining gas in my saw to clear a downed dead ash from one of the woods trails that my dad wanted to get thru with his bush hog.  I brought that wood home and loaded it on my “to be split” trailer, out behind the barn.  

3B92ED94-3DDC-4510-8220-5FB9ED165E88.thumb.jpeg.cfb379d336fec74e653d87d15993a0e3.jpeg

I hope to get over there one more time, before the September 10 antlerless gun opener, and cut up another truckload of dead ash (for our winter heating supply), and get my $ 8 padded swivel chair (from which I killed (3) deer in the past year) back up in the clover plot / woods edge stand, that’s right behind their house.

My parents are my “trail cameras” over there.  Dad mentioned seeing two does regularly on that plot, one with a large fawn (she’s the one I want), and another with a small one.  I could only hunt one weekend of the early antlerless gun season last year, and that’s where I killed my deer.  

I jumped in the pool when I got home after I unloaded the wood  (I use it more for bathing after hot dirty work, than for swimming) .  It beats the heck out of dirtying up the shower in the house.  Pool filter cartridges are cheap and easily replaced.  

We have had a nice, light steady rain at home over the last hour or two.  I took the opportunity to bush hog (3) old clover plots, and the banks of my pond.  I like to try to catch that at the low water level for the year and I think this is it from the looks of the weather forecast for this week.  My home-made tractor canopy works great for sun and rain.  Not so well for bees though. 
91D05084-E651-45BC-BB7F-D13B705960B7.thumb.jpeg.c81b0fa93c942a28d320743a0733d05d.jpeg

89DC8E83-0611-4193-9A70-9F5AB8DEC862.thumb.jpeg.e548ddbe807968eda8e159c9b6b7632e.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

I caught adult male coon number (5) in a box trap that was baited with stale bread wiped with peanut butter.  The bait was gone out of the other box trap and the door was down, but it was empty.  Nothing in the dog-proof either.  

Unfortunately, they wiped out about 1/3 of my 3rd planting of sweetcorn last night, and it was about a week away from being ripe enough to pick.  I put fresh bait in three traps back there, hoping to get a few more before they take out the remainder of my sweetcorn.  

It sure would be nice to get to eat a little of that sweetcorn this year.  My 4th and last planting (silver queen) looks like it is about 3 weeks away from being ripe enough to pick.  

My rain gauge is showing that we got more than an inch since Sunday, which should really help fill out that late corn.  It should also add some bushels to my RR fieldcorn out back.  Hopefully,  enough to make up for what the deer have been eating, starting about a week ago.   

If the ground dries out enough by this weekend, I think I am going to jump the gun a little bit and get in a couple of wheat/clover plots.  I usually wait until after September 1 for that. 

This afternoon, I drove back and checked out the ground that I want to plant this weekend with wheat and clover.  Both spots look dry enough to work up and plant tomorrow.  I had hoped to get some soybeans to add to the mix.  I didn’t get any, so I’ll have to do without.  
98B44366-4BB3-4855-B20F-5ACADEEDE849.thumb.jpeg.421d5c767d189f8f21e08fa82fdeacf8.jpeg

The deer are hitting the corn back there pretty good.  They have eaten about 10% of the ears already.  The ears are not even fully developed yet, which is good, because the recent rains are adding to the yield faster than the deer are reducing it.  

47B13960-8C89-4AB2-8FDC-5B15EACD9F5E.thumb.jpeg.261aa2459540b6c01673c11b43725a7c.jpeg

That rain also bumped up the Imperial Whitetail “Tall Tine Tubers” quite a bit.  Those are some type of turnip/brassica mix.  
6F52F432-53E9-40A3-AC9E-28332712B1CD.thumb.jpeg.9d830f824c799c0b39646d1babd9c5b9.jpeg

I brushed in my pop up blind back there a little bit, but I will only hunt that, if we get an east or north east wind, between September 10 and 18.  I will take it down on the evening of the 18th, so I can bring it up north for early ML in mid October.

I will bring it home after that, and set it back up where it is now, for fall Turkey and crossbow deer season.   It will probably remain there until the January 1st end of Holiday ML season.

I also have a natural blind on the other side, that I can use to hunt those plots in a west, south, or southwest wind.   Some of the “cover” on that natural blind is poison ivy.  

Jumping in the pool, right after triming that last week, stopped any infection. I will take that pool down Sunday.  The night time lows are going to be in the 50’s next week and the kids are off to college.  I used it more than they did this summer.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

I finished up almost everything I need to do on the back 30, prior to the September 10 antlerless gun opener.  I want to let everything back there rest a couple of weeks, so that I can Pearl Harbor “back strap moma” on the 10th.

I forgot to pick up a hammer and a water bottle that I set down next to my pop-up blind, as I was finishing up my last wheat/clover plot back there. I will have to swing by with the Durango tomorrow, when I fire it up to check the traps in the sweetcorn in the front field.  

Tasks completed were: Chairs placed in two stands, Trimming some brush for easier access to one stand.  New 1.5 acre wheat/clover/alphalfa plot planted out back and another acre up front.  
C90D467A-C55F-48A4-813F-6B31E5E66A8E.thumb.jpeg.59a60510e8f69db466bad3daf6f64b39.jpeg

The soil moisture content was perfect for working up this morning, but this is the earliest that I have ever planted wheat.  I went over the plots twice with the drag, which worked the ground into a fine powder.  Then I broadcast the wheat, cultipacked, broadcast the clover/alphalfa mix, then cuktipacked again.
2CC4A0CA-1ACF-4FCD-AE6C-996496279007.thumb.jpeg.074f1d5acfc1746a78e0fa9b3f1342b2.jpeg

All of the seed I planted today was free (thanks goosifer) or left over from last season, so it will be interesting to see how it does.  I am not used to planting the fancy “buck on the bag” stuff.  

BD4DD4EC-43C6-4AE9-858A-10142CC438D8.thumb.jpeg.1aa3cfc27bc6539a0fbc4699e7c4971e.jpeg 
I now have Whitetail Institute “tall tine tubers” growing in one side of my pop-up, corn off the corner (getting hit hard by bucks and does right now), and “imperial whitetail” clover now planted off the other side.  

It will be interesting to see what the deer like better: the “imperial whitetail” clover, or the “spot on” clover/alphalfa mix.  

It will also be interesting to see if the clover germinates better when broadcast after cultipacking, than it does when broadcast directly onto powdery  “fluffed up” soil.  I did it that way in just a 20 ft wide strip next to the oak tree in the above picture, to see what happens.  All the rest got cultipacked before and after broadcasting.  

9CBAD17B-AED3-4C24-9C6A-D41065E633B8.thumb.jpeg.0b6a9af12cd777ffaf4f85459dae6425.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

I caught coons in the sweetcorn, in box-traps baited with peanut butter coated marshmallows, two days in a row.  Yesterday’s was my first young one of the year.  I didn’t look to see if it was a male or female.  The coyotes must have moved off, because they had been keeping the young ones and the adult females under control, up to this point.  

I have a dog-proof trap, baited with cat food, right in between those two box traps.   Nothing had gone for that in a couple weeks now.  The peanut butter coated marshmallows were missing out of the other (unsprung) box trap, the last two days.  

Today’s was the 7th for the year, and the 6th adult male.  It was a box-filler, maybe the biggest one of the year, so far.  I still haven’t got an ear of sweetcorn for the table, but maybe I can take out enough coons with it, so that my 2 acres of RR field corn makes it until January 1.  So far, only the deer are eating that, and they are way more efficient consumers of corn than coons are.  
5F61AFC3-3522-4719-8CFA-828F6E8C6F07.thumb.jpeg.b627f711ae680bf8306807bf079ade14.jpeg

I am also hoping to get a little sweetcorn for eating fresh and for freezing from my last two batches.  I thought the coons got all of the second last batch.  It turned out that it was only a little bit of early corn, that must have been stuck in the planter, before the later stuff went down.  All is not yet lost to the coons.  

I am only trapping them in the sweetcorn in my front field now.  I finished all the required work out back.  I am going to stay out of there, until the September 10 early antlerless gun opener.  

I got a late start fishing this  morning and I just landed my first bass (14” smallmouth).  One lame hit on a surface bait earlier and a couple light taps on jigs but this was the first hookup.   

The sky was clear and no wind early, so conditions were tough to sneak in on the smallmouth with bucktail jigs, in this little NW Adirondack lake. 

A light sw wind picked up, to chop up the surface a little, so I started trolling a silver hotntot . Very healthy looking fish and good fighter.  I am only keeping one over 22” on this trip.  I will keep a pack or two of “eaters” this size when I come back up in mid October.

6F7DAC22-CD1A-4439-9341-E0572D79C1BD.thumb.jpeg.c8a2af4c2b2dbe35f78733e35f3c6f15.jpeg

A161AD99-B442-457F-BF49-EB0CB8451CE7.thumb.jpeg.dba65aa44a011280ae0bc06f59c3a14f.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lawdwaz said:

Looks like fun.   Any Genny on board????

One of your corn eating ‘coons got hit by my shop Thursday on Transit.   It was probably suicide after he heard you were out for ‘em…..

No, I don’t touch the stuff till I’m done fishing because the first thing alcohol takes from me is my ability to detect a strike.  I suppose it would be fine for trolling though, so maybe I bring out a cooler this afternoon. 

It won’t be Genny though because my in-laws don’t stock that.  It looks like they are a little light on the usual Modelo Negras and Dos Equis Especials also.  It will probably have to be Yuengling, Fat Tire, or Tsing Tau.  

I just had a prayer answered.  That bass must have twisted up my line and/or rubbed it on some rocks.  I drifted a bit, with a jig on my other rod, after releasing the bass.  Then, when I cast that lure back out, to start trolling again, it broke off and went flying.

I silently asked God if He would let me get it back.  About 10 minutes  later, after I had already tied on my last one, I caught a flash of light off of it, floating about 30 yards off my bow on the port side.  Now I have two of them again.

E71E3770-DAF1-4A04-8DC4-52B9EC3BB939.thumb.jpeg.3936cad834897dfd6436cd2c8c28dc20.jpeg

C5881187-F836-43AB-ABD8-7184CD4D6AA1.thumb.jpeg.6dcebb5defbd1325ffcd00b29bfe9f53.jpeg

He answers all of me prayers in one of three ways: “Yes”, “No” (only if it’s for the best), or “wait a bit” (like just happened).  I am going to refrain from praying for that elusive 22 incher and just have fun with those that I catch while trying.  Someone’s got to educate these fish.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

The bad thing about a warm lake on Labor-day weekend, is that the bass have not moved to shore yet, so the top-water action is not good yet.  A few years ago, when it was considerably colder, I had my 5 fish limit of bass in 7 casts with a Zara pooch, without even leaving the dock.  No such luck this year.

The good thing is, I can take a bath and wash up in the lake after jumping off the swimming/drinking barge, and not listen to my father in law complain of running the hot water too long in the shower in the house.  Good thing Ivory soap floats.

D91F3E75-13B1-4ED5-B56D-6CDD9B869C17.thumb.jpeg.eb23aaf18a75bf991fc1057862e17639.jpeg

We are having a campfire up at the in-laws now and I can see Jake up on the wall in the house.   That’s what I named my first Adirondack buck, after the young real estate agent who sold them the land up here, and who became a good friend.  He showed me the hot spots to hunt and fish.  Unfortunately, he passed away, shortly after I killed that buck, and never got to see the mount. 

1853A852-EE4F-4079-8AEC-B8D4DEE09D10.thumb.jpeg.bb7596aa0100e81447556444b7ae732e.jpeg

• Like 2

After they quit hitting on the Zara puppy surface bait this morning, I trolled along the shoreline and hooked one, that looked to be about 16”, on a small silver hotntot.  It dove deep and broke my line right next to the boat.  Now I am down to my last small silver hotntot again.  

The temperature was about 68 this morning, it was overcast, and the wind was from the north at about 5 mph.  I went back out after lunch and it was up to about 10 mph, still overcast, and the temp was down to 62, where it stayed the rest of the day.

The colder air temperature finally brought some bigger bass in to the shoreline. I landed (4) that were between 14 and 17” on a 1/8 oz jig, and lost another that looked to be about 16”, right next to the boat.  That one jumped 2 or 3 times.  The early morning surface action ought to be real good tomorrow. 

This 17 incher was the biggest of the trip so far, but a 16 incher that I landed, and the two that I lost next to the boat, fought harder.  You can always count on the best fight of the year from smallmouth bass around Labor Day weekend, and no freshwater fish fights harder, pound for pound. 

77961D03-1002-4639-9AFA-DE04430956B5.thumb.jpeg.55cf298643cebe637ee14512ab162876.jpeg

As expected, the top water action is real good this morning.  The smallmouth bass are all over my frog/perch finish Heddon Zara puppy, my favorite top water bait.

There was not a bit of wind at sunrise, and the water was dead calm, with an air temp of 58 degrees.  There was a “brief passing shower” in the forecast  which is on now, giving me time to update the journal, here under my golf umbrella.  Just like Hank Jr, I am against fishing in the rain.

I have lost count, but landed maybe 7 or 8 over 12”, rowing and casting the shoreline, half way around the lake, and at least that many shorty’s.  The longest was this fiesty 16 incher.

I broke a much bigger one off up on the north end, near a man-made inlet where brook trout have been stocked.  That trout fattened bass looked like it might be the elusive 22 incher I am trying for.  

I got two good looks at it, the first time when it engulfed my bait, right after splashdown.  It then dove into the thick weeds and broke me off.  2 minutes later, it jumped over deeper water and spat up my Zara puppy.  Good thing it did because they don’t like this other one, with wore off paint.

It did that before I even had a chance to pray for that lure’s return, like I did for that Hotntot two days ago.  Starting the day with a little Bible reading is pretty effective, for getting what you want and need from God, without even asking for it.

The rain is letting up now, and I have half a shoreline yet to cover, so time to get back at it.

B02C9E1D-DC07-4C50-A78E-B08F110CE477.thumb.jpeg.436ccfa179cec527a5eb76112356bd63.jpeg799502A2-2015-468A-B01A-DC4049238DDF.thumb.jpeg.fbfd504a4c5a580e1d0edf1e3175afa3.jpeg0398DA35-AD23-424A-A66F-C8B6727C7BBB.thumb.jpeg.b1756c863aa2ecd68f5fc856533493a6.jpeg

Another rain break.  It stopped briefly and I covered about a hundred yards of shoreline, getting two “long distance releases” of bass that looked to be about 15” long.  That’s what you call it when they get away on their own before you get them to the boat without breaking the line.

That is a very common occurrence, with smallmouth bass on Labor Day weekend, when they are usually at their peak fighting ability.  

I tried using the rod holder for the unbrella but it didn’t pan out because the stem on the ubbrella isn’t quite long enough.  There is a slight north wind now, but not quite enough surface chop for trolling to be effective.  I am almost to the south end now, so if it picks up a little more, I will troll back with my last small silver hotntot (the one I prayed for return on Saturday).

BC88242C-6AD9-4651-B8B6-773EC718679F.thumb.jpeg.5ebf2115748369eb5f0d845c383e0894.jpeg

I can hold the unbrella while trolling, with the rod in the holder, but first I got to make it all the way to the south end trying to hold the unbrella with my knees while casting the Zara puppy. 

Edited by wolc123

5 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Sounds like you need new line. Unless your using 4lb test smallies shouldn't be breaking your line.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Probably so, I’ll bring up some fresh 8lb fluorocarbon on my next trip.  I ended up getting several more bass down on the south end, where they were really stacked up.  One, that looked about 15” broke off my Zara puppy again.  Once again it jumped to try and spit it but couldn’t, so I lost that one.  

I ended up taking the center hook off the “no paint” one, and used that to replace the missing center hook on another one that I had in my box.  I tied on a fresh 8 lb fluorocarbon leader.  A few casts later, I caught another 17 incher that was the “fight of the year” for me to this point, besting a couple of 20 inchers that I caught in cooler water this year. 

Had it not jumped soon after hookup, I would have sworn it was well over 20”.  I had backed off my drag pretty good, fearing another break off.  It made a few big runs, thinking it was a long salmon, then dove down a wrapped into the weeds like a toad bigmouth.  

That’s when it got tricky.  I grabbed the line in my hands and pulled as hard as I dared to break it free of the weeds.  Fortunately, the center hook, that I had just replaced, was firmly stuck in the edge of its eye socket and there was no throwing that.  My freshly tied knots were also still up to par.   

I ended up with a total of approximately 20 that were over 12” and about 15 that were under.  My wife wanted do head home at 11:00, so I made my last cast at 10:56.  Now we are at Target in Rochester, shopping with our youngest college girl.

210268D0-A033-4C15-AF2A-EB41B01624F7.thumb.jpeg.dc9cfae7d4557fd834dec3ae22aa2729.jpeg

0C7A78DE-686E-4602-B3D8-BECBED871468.thumb.jpeg.f71c497e2814ccc9ce6f8a91e64d0d4f.jpeg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2