2022 Wolc Journal

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I got out for the last hour of daylight on Monday and seen one deer about 10 minutes after sunset.  If it had antlers, they were tiny, and it was just a little too far for a shot at that hour.

This morning (Thanksgiving), was the first I have been able to hunt, of sz gun season.  I saw a single deer on my walk back to my natural blind, 1/2 hour before sunrise.  I showered with scent free soap, and deployed Evercalm, when I got to the blind, plus wiped some on my boots.

At 7:30, deer started converging on my position from three directions, all of them antlerless.   I shot, what looked to be the largest, as it stood in the middle of my “tall tine tubers” patch.

Whitetail Institute ought to call those “tiny tine turnips”.  It turned out that deer was a spike, with 2-3/4” on the left and 1” on the right.  

Oh well, that’s another filled dmp tag and now I got oysters.  He had a big enough liver in him for (2) meals, and a 37-1/4” chest girth.  Best part is, I can still hunt for a big one, up north later this weekend. 

The Good Lord always comes thru when I need Him.  It would be hard to imagine a better deer than this one this blessed Thanksgiving morning. 

4489545B-8693-4975-911C-1EB2BC233A3C.thumb.jpeg.75dd104243ace1d7399f25c36fd4ecab.jpeg

D5E26990-A084-4B40-9BB9-0638C6765D48.thumb.jpeg.5c0dab3e5f59fbaa3d4350adb4076a72.jpeg

3AC33E1A-D5CC-4713-A6FA-E80F9AC3E985.thumb.jpeg.84fa7a2da249171c886196de6d686f19.jpeg

Strange how some bucks grow their first set like that. Late born, lack of good eats…Doubtful.. or Genetics. Either way. A Thanksgiving Freebie for sure in the DMP department. 

Just now, Four Seasons said:

Strange how some bucks grow their first set like that. Late born, lack of good eats…Doubtful.. or Genetics. Either way. A Thanksgiving Freebie for sure in the DMP department. 

I was very thankful that the spike on his left was not 1/4” longer.  Hunting for grouse and bear up north, later this weekend, just wouldn’t have been as fun, as hunting for bucks.  I had to do that last year, after punching my buck tag at home, and I didn’t see one of either.  

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

I was very thankful that the spike on his left was not 1/4” longer.  Hunting for grouse and bear up north, later this weekend, just wouldn’t have been as fun, as hunting for bucks.  I had to do that last year, after punching my buck tag at home, and I didn’t see one of either.  

Don’t do it around Ft Drum without Snowshoes. Still 3ft plus in the woods. The deer are living right in the uncut corn fields now. Crazy Deep!!

3 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

Don’t do it around Ft Drum without Snowshoes. Still 3ft plus in the woods. The deer are living right in the uncut corn fields now. Crazy Deep!!

You ain’t kidding there.  I never have seen this much snow up here.  My father in law had some snowshoes that he says I can use. 

They have been seeing quite a few deer the last few days, but none with antlers.  I came real close to taking out a big buck with our suv, on rt 81 in Sandy creek about an hour ago.  It was standing broadside in the right lane.  I was doing 75 when I saw it.  I breaked hard and swerved at the last minute, probably getting within an inch of it.  Looked like a solid  3.5 yr plus 8 or 10 point.  

• Haha 1

It turned out to be an action-packed Thanksgiving weekend, up in the Northern zone.  I saw a total of (5) deer, and at least  (2) of them were legal bucks.  One of those was a small spike, probably the same one that I passed on the second day of rifle up here.  I passed him again, even closer on Sunday morning.

I saved my best spot up there for Sunday morning, the day we drove home.  The snow was melted down to under a foot by then, so getting back there wasn’t too bad.  I saw an unidentified deer up on a hilltop, just before sunrise, and the little buck came by about 15 minutes after.  

A big doe came by, heading the opposite direction, just after the spike walked away.  About (10) minutes after she disappeared behind me, I heard sticks breaking in that direction.  That turned out to be a buck with one side antler broken off and 2 or 3 points on the other side.  He looked like a 2.5 year old, based on body size.

He was too close for me to lift my gun, so I waited until he made a move, before I did.  He bolted off after recognizing me at about 15 yard range. My first shot hit outside of his vitals and I was not able to get off another, because my Marlin 336BL did not cycle the next round smoothly.   I lost the blood after about 4 hours of following.

I hope he is going to be ok.  I think he might be, because he went up a very steep hill, at least 400 yards into the blood trail.  It was slowing to a trickle , and the blood had stopped completely beyond that.

I also saw a doe, closer to my in-laws house, on my hunt the evening before.  It was only on my first hunt up there Friday morning, in the rain under the shooting range shelter, that I didn’t see any deer.  

Doe close to house Friday evening:

E88D6488-AD0D-4F4A-B7BE-E1E114393571.thumb.jpeg.7d99c7f062d744f1dead0e9a9fd85af1.jpeg

Start of buck’s (lost) blood trail:
9DD24C3B-7299-4BC8-8BF6-1336B4C2A4EC.thumb.jpeg.e565b97f0f8e41634c2b3be261a4bc6d.jpeg

I’d still be searching up there, if I didn’t have to get my wife and kids home, for obligations back home last night.  I am thankful to have not killed the big buck with our suv on the drive up Thursday night, but it would have been nice to have got that one Sunday morning, with my 30/30.  

I suppose I was due to loose one, after killing the first (3) deer that I had shot at with center fire rifles.   Maybe I’ll ditch the Marlin lever, and go back to my 3/0 Ruger 30/06. That will definitely be the case, if I can’t find ammo for the 30/30, and correct the follow up shot cycling issue prior to next season.  

I’m also not impressed with the fiber optic sights that I put on the Marlin.  They are not at all visible before sunrise or after sunset.  That would have been ok 2 years ago.  Now that NY state gave us those extra half hours, before and after sun, I think I’ll put a low power scope on that lever. 

If I could have got crosshairs on that buck yesterday for that shot, he’d be at the processors right now for sure.  Two lessons that I learned the hard way are: I won’t hunt deer with that gun again until it cycles a second and third shot smoothly, and it has a scope on it.  

I’ll bring along my 16 gauge side by side shotgun, and some slugs, to use up north for deer in the rain next time.  I know that will put two quick shots right where I want them, inside of 40 yards.  That will also let me do some grouse hunting, if my buck tag gets filled.  Those seem to be making a comeback up there.