The Nomads Southern tour ‘22 !

Nomad

42 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Run down of the trip as we are back in NY .

A camo hat helps tremendously when in rural areas down south and driving a Subaru with NY plates .

Southern Hospitality is still a thing . I’ve never been called sir so often , and every server or person in general was super nice ,drivers don’t tailgate and let you in as soon as you put your signal on .

Anyone in Buff, Roch, Syracuse etc and thinks traffic is bad has no idea ! Try 8 lanes through Atlanta at either 80 mph or stop and go for hours …. Even Chattanooga had bad traffic with off ramps backed up for miles . Nothing like your gps saying “ stay in the five left lanes .” 

Theres so many moving down south , there’s cranes everywhere, new roads, bridges and housing going up mile after mile .

oh it’s my Bday what a sh!tty present ,to be back here

The many gun shops and Walmart’s in several states, showed they don’t have anymore ammo then we do , with prices To match .

Nashville isn’t what it was as little as 25 years ago when I walked into Toosies Orchid lounge  got a beer and watched  the band in the little corner stage . A place where careers were made . Today’s Nashville has all the soul of Applebee’s, with the crowds of Disney world  , all these bars with “ stars “ names on the marquee are all the same cookie cutter tourists traps . I have no desire to return .

My wife loses her sunglasses a lot, I bought her a $250 pair for the trip, lost three times found two, we believe they are at my nephews lake house, he’ll check this weekend .

$400 dollar bottles of bourbon are fun to drink when I didn’t have to buy them .

Next year I invoke the Chuck rule , named after my bil, who won’t pick up guests at the airport , I put on 5 hundred miles doing that ! As some flew into the cheapest airports even if it was an hour and a half each way .

In fact we may fly  and Uber when and if needed next year , guest are on their own .

When are you selling and moving?

Btw, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

13 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

When are you selling and moving?

Btw, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Not likely , wife always wanted to ,I prefer to be near the kids . We live in a small house with low ,by NYS standards taxes , my pension is NYS tax free ,there’s not a large tax advantage for us .

If our kids packed up id go with them . 

and Thanks ! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moho81 said:

Happy Belated Birthday @nomad welcome back to NY it ain’t so bad here, I’m sure there’s worse spots to live in the county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t take the heat.  I don’t think I could even survive long in the summer in PA, let alone anyplace south of the Mason Dixon line.  I feel sorry for those poor bastards that live year-round down there and deal with all the traffic.  

The hordes of southerners that I see, up in the Adirondacks, and on the St Lawrence river, over the summer really seem to bask in our almost Heavenly climate. 

The only weather I don’t like, in upstate NY, is March, but we are almost thru that now.  

Edited by wolc123

Additional thoughts .

The Gulf side beaches and water are way better then the ocean side , although getting around Cocoa Beach is a snap , even on foot . 

A road atlas is good pair up with the gps ,as you see “ the big picture “ . When we got to Nashville, I didn’t realize how far West we went, and was stunned when my nephew said we were only four hours from St. Louis .

Ill have to tell our daughter what , “ start the truck once in awhile “ really means, as battery was dead .

We have WAY to much stuff in our home, those who move South have to de clutter big time , due to high shipping costs , no basements and in many cases , little closets , and their places look very nice .

The weather here does suck, I haven’t worn long pants since Jan 24th. Looking ahead for shed hunting I’ll be layered up and muddy .

Covid isn’t a thing down there for the most part . 

My nephew is very well off , and says things like , “ no Condoleazza Rice has no interest in running for anything “ I asked her straight out awhile back .”  He went to school at SUNY Fredonia , and enjoys telling the upper ivy leaguers that ….

Speaking to the workers in gun shops in Fla. they seem to grasp the differences  and tolerate those from the good part of NYS . 

those who move can buy almost double the house ( cost wise ) based off the property tax savings alone . Think of what that means on the back end for them or their kids .

Theyre short workers down there as well, signs all over , as much as $19 an hour for entry level , store clerks etc .

teslas are very popular in Sarasota, Suburbans and Tahoe’s on the highways for travel all over the US .

Guatemalans and Mexicans make up a large part of  labor and construction  crews . According to our friends who see them work daily , they out  work us Americans by a lot .

• Like 1