Skull size aging.

wolc123

You shouldnt need to know age to be happy with what you took. Ive known of too many people though that didn't give the appreciation someone's buck deserved because it didn't score well yet was an older deer. Also I know people that were disappointed in some way they weren't seeing big booner racks hunting where everything dies at 2.5 or its just not to be expected for what that area can produce. Same for weight. Having at least a rough idea of age gives grounded expectations so you can worry less about an antler or body size pipe dream and just appreciate it for what it is.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/15/2022 at 12:26 PM, wolc123 said:

My wife would prefer that I killed them all at 5-7 months of age, when they are the best tasting.  Then we wouldn’t have to worry about these antler size and age issues, and a lot of wall space would be freed up for other usage.  

Those “baby bucks” certainly do taste better, but I can’t tell the difference in taste between a 1.5, 2.5,and 3.5, so my preference for 3.5’s is strictly a meat quantity issue.  

Hopefully, she has the 5 and 7 month frozen buck hearts that I gave her for Valentine’s Day (along with a 3.5 and an unknown courtesy of another member) just about pickled right now:

Certain cuts will be tougher on an older animal, but it's a lot more than age that affects the quality of meat. As someone who really likes meat, I'd suggest you listen to the meateater podcast where they brought on an actual meat scientist. Moral of the story, younger deer aren't necessarily better eating because they're younger. Their taste is impacted by multiple environmental factors and the sheer volume of meat one gets from a 3.5 vs a yearling is worth going that route if you can. With an older "rutty buck" there are a few simple tricks to get that hind steak tasting just as  good as a button. It's legitimate science, but not rocket science. 

https://www.themeateater.com/listen/meateater/ep-227-red-cutter

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Belo said:

Certain cuts will be tougher on an older animal, but it's a lot more than age that affects the quality of meat. As someone who really likes meat, I'd suggest you listen to the meateater podcast where they brought on an actual meat scientist. Moral of the story, younger deer aren't necessarily better eating because they're younger. Their taste is impacted by multiple environmental factors and the sheer volume of meat one gets from a 3.5 vs a yearling is worth going that route if you can. With an older "rutty buck" there are a few simple tricks to get that hind steak tasting just as  good as a button. It's legitimate science, but not rocket science. 

https://www.themeateater.com/listen/meateater/ep-227-red-cutter

I’ll agree that there are simple tricks (ie more carcass aging times at 33-43 deg F) that can make a 3.5 taste as good as a 1.5.   It’s actually more of a meat texture thing, or how tough the steak is, more so than the taste .  The buttons (less than a year) are in a whole other class.  If there was a simple trick for doing that with red meat then there would not be a market for veal.  

That said, these tenderloins from last year’s 3.5 tasted just as good those from last year’s and this year’s buttons, but only after they had been stored in the fridge for a week prior to cooking.  
04808819-EEFC-4F1A-B4DD-7E8B9FC68197.thumb.jpeg.ae9182cf0b118eaec5afd9aaed12aa17.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kmartinson said:

Cold dry aging.... Manu people expect it to be beef. Take care of your meat, and the meat will take care of you!!!

I enjoy properly-aged whitetail, more than beef,  and I am very thankful that my wife and kids do also.  My guess is that most of those who prefer beef have no clue how to properly age venison.

Kind of like most of those who don’t like eating bass have no clue how to treat the meat (hint-it should still be twitching when you remove it from the fish).  Aging is good for red meat, so that rigor mortis can pass, but not so hot for white fish.  

Edited by wolc123

I enjoy properly-aged whitetail, more than beef,  and I am very thankful that my wife and kids do also.  My guess is that most of those who prefer beef have no clue how to properly age venison.

Kind of like most of those who don’t like eating bass have no clue how to treat the meat (hint-it should still be twitching when you remove it from the fish).  Aging is good for red meat, so that rigor mortis can pass, but not so hot for white fish.  

I found that meateater podcast interesting as listened to it a while back.

Let me premise my next statement with, you know I’m a meat first guy when it comes to outdoor foods. However, saying venison steak is as good if not better than cow is a touch silly! Fat distribution makes steak great. Venison fat is not good. And so, Cow steak is better.

And, I’m not even a real steak fan! I’d much rather a venison chili, meatloaf or cheesteak sandwich over a ribeye.
However if I had to choose between a ribeye and a back strap steak, ribeye tastes better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I found that meateater podcast interesting as listened to it a while back.

Let me premise my next statement with, you know I’m a meat first guy when it comes to outdoor foods. However, saying venison steak is as good if not better than cow is a touch silly! Fat distribution makes steak great. Venison fat is not good. And so, Cow steak is better.

And, I’m not even a real steak fan! I’d much rather a venison chili, meatloaf or cheesteak sandwich over a ribeye.
However if I had to choose between a ribeye and a back strap steak, ribeye tastes better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone’s tastes are different I suppose.  I like beef a lot more than chicken, but not quite as much as venison.   I am thankful that most folks like beef better, because venison would be a lot tougher to get, if that wasn’t the case.   

40 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Everyone’s tastes are different I suppose.  I like beef a lot more than chicken, but not quite as much as venison.   I am thankful that most folks like beef better, because venison would be a lot tougher to get, if that wasn’t the case.   

Just because they want to eat it doesn't mean they would be successful at harvesting it!

• Thanks 1