New to hunting where to go?

Stretcher Guy

I hear there is some really good turkey hunting in the catskills. My suggestion for new turkey hunters is to get a good spacious blind with netting on the windows and a couple decent decoys and a call that you can make sound good. you can go on youtube and learn how to run a turkey call like a pro. My BIGGEST suggestion is to NOT overcall. I call maybe once every ten to fifteen minutes. If you have a hen calling against you just repeat her and argue back with her and i've fired up a TON of birds that way or the hen comes in all pissed off with her boyfriend dragging behind her :) Just stay very still and dress in layers. Do it right the first time or there is a good possibility you will not enjoy it as much and want to go again. I have alot of friends that give up hunting because they can never seal the deal and i take them out and show them some tips and they get back out into it and often are successful. I'm by no means a professional but last year alone I called in over thirty birds just hunting on weekends and we ended up taking 8 birds, 3 jakes and 5 longbeards. All i can suggest is that you find a good spot with some birds and stay persistent and keep at it and have a good time! :)

Your kid missed the youth hunt, try next year at one of the lands listed here: dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7809.html. LANDS ON THIS LINK ARE CLOSED FOR THE REGULAR SPRING TURKEY SEASON, niether adults or youth can hunt (spring turkey) in 1c during the regular season..

You both can hunt in the regular season starting May 1 on the lands on this link: dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8289.html

There all many rules and they tend to overlap. You have the DEC rules but then each individual park may impose their own rules. If you're not sure, you can simply contact the DEC and let them know which area you are planning to hunt and they'll answer your question. They are understaffed so you might get a machine but each time I've left a message, they've always called back the same day.

Ok let me see if I have this right. I can go to Cranberry Mtn in 3G, find a parking spot in the designated parking area and walk into the woods to hunt. Do I need written permission to be there? I want to hunt safely & legally.

Yes you can, and no you dont need written permission. Its state owned and run land available for anyone with the proper license to hunt. Safety is a whole other matter, you probably wont be there alone.

Heres some info on Cranberry Mtn WMA

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/76952.html

Ok let me see if I have this right. I can go to Cranberry Mtn in 3G, find a parking spot in the designated parking area and walk into the woods to hunt. Do I need written permission to be there? I want to hunt safely & legally.

Im not from your area, so I cant be specific; but I can tell you that on a few WMA lands and on many parks there are additional regulations - to find out call the regional DEC office. I would definetly call when hunting a park (sometimes they do require sort of written permission in the form of a free permit).

A good point was raised by western new york buck hunter - spring turkey is a popular season and public hunting lands 60 miles from NY City will see crowds.

You should seriously consider hunting during the week or hunting further away from home. Or both! Not trying to scare you in the guise of safety; but your experience will be a milllion times better if you get away from the crowds.

Also invest $40 in a bushnell backtrack. You can find your way back to your vehicle or back to a spot you want to hunt again.

it's often confusing for a new hunter and questioning where you are permitted to hunt, take into consideration that by purchasing your hunting license and equipment along with you everyday taxes gives you the right to hunt state lands, you are not hunting someone elses land, it is yours as a NYS hunter to hunt & camp if you so choose where permited, however you do share that right with many other hunters. so to answer your question YES you are aloud to park and enter/explore/hunt state lands

I am definately looking for further away from the city. G-Man mentioned Bear Spring Mtn. I did some research and found a camp ground not far away. This seems like a good place to start. I also have a DeLorme GPS.

That requires some checking too. I dont camp; but there sometimes are firearm (possesion) prohibitions on (public) campgrounds. (You might get a better nights sleep in a motel anyway...)

I've been camping for years, rather be outdoors. Plus its $18.00 a night. The campground website states firearms are permtted during hunting season. Just no discharging them on the grounds.

Good to mention, because someone else who reads this may overlook that. Good luck hunting!