The wild animals of Old Forge

Nomad

I wonder how many of these get poached up here , you can hand feed 'em. Had 2 walk 10 feet from me while I was smoking a cigar in a chair .... Sorry bad pics. Forgot camera just ave ipad.

post-253-0-66068200-1376056307_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-46992000-1376056332_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-00828800-1376056400_thumb.jpg

Edited by Larry302

I'm staying in town,waiting for wife who's in bathroom so we can get breakfast, its 10 30....

Yes South Shore and all around Nicks Lake last night.

I've hunted Moose River Plains ,as well as Nicks Lake in years

heading up tonight actually.  the old forge deer are alot of fun.. what io cant get over is the amount of turkeys ive been seeing the last 2 years on route 28.  No exageration we see 10-12 birds from alder creek to raquette lake every trip

heading up tonight actually. the old forge deer are alot of fun.. what io cant get over is the amount of turkeys ive been seeing the last 2 years on route 28. No exageration we see 10-12 birds from alder creek to raquette lake every trip

Couple weeks past we were at Hinckley res. a little south of here, turkeys all over the place !

Does Old forge still have that restaurant that had all the stuffed animals everywhere?

I don't know. Most have a head or two,seen some really bad mounts up here. I don't know of one with a lot of heads, but I ve not been in all the restaurants.

Doc,

Any chance your talking about "The Buffalo Head"? 

I'm not sure. It was a long time ago and I just remember a place there that had a jillion mounts of just about every critter up in the rafters and all over the walls. That's my one and only recollection of Old Forge...lol.

Lol .... I'll bet the place has been closed down due to health violations. I would guess that it has been a good 40 years or so since I was last there, and it didn't look like the cleanest place in the world back then.

Lol .... I'll bet the place has been closed down due to health violations. I would guess that it has been a good 40 years or so since I was last there, and it didn't look like the cleanest place in the world back then.

there was a place in inlet that had a bear feeder and you were almost guaranteed to see a black bear while eating. I think it was the ole barn...but yeah someone made them stop that some time ago.

Years ago I had a co worker with a camp up there on 4th lake I think it was.  I got invited a few times to hunt up there with them.  Its an odd place to hunt.  There is a pretty large no hunting zone bordering the roads.  You have to hike in a bit to get past the no hunting zone.  I remember the first time walking in and just couldnt believe the deer and how they acted.  They literaly would walk right up to us and at one point took an apple out of my co workers hand.  I kept thinking that this is either majorly wrong in all aspects of hunting or its going to be a ton of fun.  Well as soon as you cross into the hunting area there wasnt a deer in sight, actually all the times I went up with him we never seen a deer beyond that border.  I still laugh every time I hear someone mention the deer in Old Forge.  

Does anyone remember the name of the bar that if you could eat a dozen of there wings you went up on the wall of fame and ate and drank for free?  They made there own hotsauce with skull and crossbones on it.  I bought a bottle of it and put a teaspoon in a 16 quart pot of chilli we cooked one night up there. No one could even eat the chilli it was so friggin hot lmao. 

I drove through Old Forge yesterday- the place is a zoo and I'm not referring to all the pet deer running around. There was a shop that had some rather large whitetail mounts hanging on a tree outside- 160s+ racks, but I didn't stop.

I walked over there from my hotel ,those racks are not from the area, the guy not to,friendly . But for $800 you can have that big drop tine one.