Westchester resident geese

crappyice

tell him to buy a dog. border collies chase geese off golf courses all the time. my local golf course has two brittneys that chase the geese off

Where I worked before I retired It got so bad you had to watch where you walked an wear a hat when you walked out of the buildings.They would have people come in with vans full of dogs to go after the big birds.Should deport them all back to Canada.

I don't know why you want to get involved with that, you probably are not a waterfowler and do not know Canada Geese, but here you go...

Even though these are so-called resident geese, I am pretty sure the landowner would need a federal permit. I assume your name must be on the landowners permit but I am not sure. The number for the landowner to call for it is 413-253-8643. I would assume there is also some DEC paperwork involved. I am also pretty sure that any form of harassing geese such as by dogs, also requires a federal permit.

Where I worked before I retired It got so bad you had to watch where you walked an wear a hat when you walked out of the buildings.They would have people come in with vans full of dogs to go after the big birds.Should deport them all back to Canada.

Humm...  I wasn't aware geese crap in flight , although some birds do... Never hear of hunters getting crapped on when they shoot at geese over head and never had it happen to me either...

What do you know about how mute swans defecate?  Biologists say, that unlike geese which crap on land, mute swans crap in the water and thereby contribute to the water quality problem. The animal rights crowd says that mute swans crap on land. Who is correct?

Humm...  I wasn't aware geese crap in flight , although some birds do... Never hear of hunters getting crapped on when they shoot at geese over head and never had it happen to me either...

What do you know about how mute swans defecate?  Biologists say, that unlike geese which crap on land, mute swans crap in the water and thereby contribute to the water quality problem. The animal rights crowd says that mute swans crap on land. Who is correct?

who really gives a crap?

• Like 2

I don't know much but I do know for sure that a mallard can defecate from the air.  I'LL NEVER FORGET THE SIGHT :biggrin:   An old girlfriends sisters boyfriend was sooo proud of his hotrod GTO until a drake mallard flew by at an angle and PLASTERED the back seat with a gigantic stink bomb!!!  Oh that was a hoot!!

As far as mutes go, I can tell you they defecate happily on land.  The birds my friend has don't fly, clipped wings stopped that.  I don't know what the balance of the water is in the two ponds that the mute swans live on but my azz ain't going swimming in them or am I going to eat any fish in them.  I PROMISE :( 

I don't know why you want to get involved with that, you probably are not a waterfowler and do not know Canada Geese, but here you go...

Even though these are so-called resident geese, I am pretty sure the landowner would need a federal permit. I assume your name must be on the landowners permit but I am not sure. The number for the landowner to call for it is 413-253-8643. I would assume there is also some DEC paperwork involved. I am also pretty sure that any form of harassing geese such as by dogs, also requires a federal permit.

Mike

I have no idea if a permit is needed to chase geese with a dog. but if anyone is interested in learning more the following url contains suggestions from NYSDEC

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/geeseproblem.pdf

Edited by mmkay

I don't know much but I do know for sure that a mallard can defecate from the air.  I'LL NEVER FORGET THE SIGHT :biggrin:   An old girlfriends sisters boyfriend was sooo proud of his hotrod GTO until a drake mallard flew by at an angle and PLASTERED the back seat with a gigantic stink bomb!!!  Oh that was a hoot!!

As far as mutes go, I can tell you they defecate happily on land.  The birds my friend has don't fly, clipped wings stopped that.  I don't know what the balance of the water is in the two ponds that the mute swans live on but my azz ain't going swimming in them or am I going to eat any fish in them.  I PROMISE :(

Yeah, now that I think about it, I have seen mallards do that, but its actually the white chalky stuff, that is their version of urine, not crap. I suppose geese do that to, but the issue over geese is with the (other) excrement because they make so much of it. This is the first time I ever heard of  complaint about the white splash from geese, other birds yes, but not geese... I get uneasy when it seems two different things are being confused which sets us up to look like a bunch of liars who don't know crap from piss....  

Edited by mike rossi

Mike

I have no idea if a permit is needed to chase geese with a dog. but if anyone is interested in learning more the following url contains suggestions from NYSDEC

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/geeseproblem.pdf

Thanks for the link, I followed it to another link and it sounds like a permit is NOT needed to use deterrent dogs, according to page 1 of this link: http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/nygoosepermitinfo.pdf

On page 1 it does in fact say no state or federal permit is needed to herd or scare Canada geese if birds are not harmed.

However what if the dog catches the birds? Waterfowl are completely flightless for 4 to 6 weeks when they molt their feathers. Geese might try to confront a dog when nesting or preparing to nest... Plus if the dog does get into a nest, you do need permits... It doesn't seem likely any legal action will be taken, but it seems that there can be legal action if someone wanted to. I really don't want to try and figure out or debate the likelihood of legal action, I am just pointing to possibilities. Again, thanks for the link, the info really surprises me because it contradicts the MBTA and I never would have believed that without reading it...