It's that time of...

Year and here I sit looking over my Welter and other seed catalogs...making plans in my head....Welters is looking a tad thin...and it was thin last season as well....Well now I know why...they have cut out several by the # clovers...50# bags and the RR soybeans are down to 2...still have lots of brassicas per # so thats good and several seeds with ASK at the price...hhhmmm never a good sign...I use to like  surf and turf before it was ASK for price on the menues....lol

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

That grow and the fact wnybuckhunter was told he was given radish and got ptt a few years back. That was funny but also understandably frustrating.

Yeah that was kind of annoying, though he had a pretty good line that day and may have been hasty in which bag he grabbed. Oh well, deer loved it just the same. Cant remember what I paid per pound for turnips there last year. It wasnt expensive though.

Speaking of radishes and such, what results do you get with ground hog radish? We planted them for the first time this past year, and the deer ate the greens, but pretty much ignored the tubers. Last I was down to look, all they did was snap the ends off that were sticking up, and left them lay there. They dug up the PTTs, etc like crazy though.

ill tell you, i used biologic deer radish this year and was extremely pleased with it. the radish was over a foot and some bigger and very thick around with the greens put it over 2 feet high atleast, very lush. my PTT were as big as soft balls or bigger. i was happy with the outcome. 

• Like 1

I'll be honest and say I don't really care if they use the tubers...radish leaves tend to turn sugary a touch faster than PTT and other brassica, and that's where I think the draw is because you stand to increase usage within hunting season. Use of the tubers to me is just an added bonus.

PTT use seems all over the board. Sometimes they'll get hit in late gun season...sometimes they won't be touched until Christmas or January. Obviously the environment (food sources, weather, etc.) plays a role, but I think there's too much variable to play with even from season to season in the same property. With radish, you can bet there's going to be a draw at least somewhat in the gun season unless the weather is above average. 

What I think happens is that the leaves on radish come into play, the deer eat them, and then other foods draw their attention, like PTT leaves/rye/wheat, and by the time the tubers for the radish would be sought out, they've gone to rot. Radish tubers don't keep as long at PTT.

Of course I say this knowing that food plots make up a miniscule part of a deer's diet, so take that into context.

Edited by phade

do a germ test Ants...take 10-20 seeds and place them in a paper towel, keep them moist, and see how many germinate. If you get a good rate, you can seed normally. If you rate is lower, you can overseed at a higher rate. Oily seeds tend to be tougher to keep. Clover keeps pretty well.

Edited by phade

I like mixing them in with the PTT.....I'll tell ya one thing though...if you like to fish....goe into that field yearly spring with a shovel....you wont find better red worms for fishing any where and they will live for weeks and weeks in the fridg...

Their soild breaking quality probably draws the worms in. Good tip.