The end nearing on a tradition....

growalot

FIL sold his house and will be leaving for Texas Monday.....Not sure if he plans on coming back to hunt camp any more...he's convinced him self that he's a crippled old man...sad really, He may come back this season but I'm doubting anything after that..too bad We all had some really fun times at camp took a bunch of deer and played an endless # of gin rummy games...I hope that Mr B and our son keep up the camp tradition and continue going to camp...especially since our Grandson has now arrived...If not he has here with Grams to teach him.

Yes they are..it was so sad ...we spent the weekend helping them finish the move...movers came Monday and picked up everything....He got rid of all the memories...did not take even the hunting pictures with him...His grandsons first deer and camp ...our daughters 8pt,first gun deer...her first deer was a 6pt buck here...Mr B's buck pics and all the guys he had at camp over the years we have all his racks save one the new guy asked him for???...gave back a personally  signed deer pic by Alsheimer I got for him at a seminar...all his fishing gear....ect ect though all guns went to Texas...can't blame him there... That really bummed me...I guess that answered any questions I had about his returning to hunt...We did get the 4generation photo op of the guys though..him holding River...

My house now looks like something off the hoarders show... :umbrage:

• 2 weeks later...

At our camp, the last of the "old Guard" will soon be leaving. I think I know how you feel about the changes. I will miss this fellow. We really started hunting deer with bow together about 15 years ago, and really enjoyed the time together, including the cooking, the sitting around the fire, and having more than a few glasses of Merlot shooting the breeze.

When he no longer comes, a lot of the fun at camp will go with him. I now struggle with my enthusiasm for the bow hunt. I sure do not want to bow hunt alone....that's not fun. 

All the old guy's who took my buddy and I under their wing, to show us the hunting do's and don'ts have all passed on. The last one, Ol Ray, passed last April. Now we are the "old guy's ". And to the best of my abilities, I will pass on to the young hunters in our area and families the patience and kindness that was given to me by some good old guys.

• Like 2

The old timer in our camp passed away a couple years ago. He was the first to start hunting the property in the late 70's. The first season without him was weird but as time went on we realized that it was sad but normal. I started hunting with hime when I was 15 and he was the age I am now. Now his grandson is part of our crew, along with his buddy. They are in their 20's and I don't ever see them getting sick of hunting so the tradition will live on. Kind of cool to know.

The first night at camp, without the old man, we toasted the old fart so many times that none of us got up before 10 A.M. the next day. LOL!!

• Like 2

Many people dont realize there's way more to this hunting thing than just killing animals......

You are so correct. I'm looking forward to next weekend when several of us guys will gather for an overnight to burn a few steaks, have a couple drinks and reminisce, about days gone by

• Like 2