Soybeans are in the dirt

Saturday over the long weekend, i got my 2 acre soybean plot in, with a screen of field corn going around 3/4 of it, and a few rows of sweet corn as well(for my own consumption, if the deer do not beat me to it lol)  we also got a quick heavy storm right afterwards. Just hoping its enough to make some germination quicker. Looking forward to it. I have never planted corn before, and i hope the screen works for entering/exiting my stand.. also helping the deer stay at ease a bit longer.. as well as a small winter feed source. Providing the coons dont tear it all apart.. 

post-5238-0-18033500-1464712730_thumb.jp

post-5238-0-47016900-1464712758_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Man.... I wish I had some discing done...but the disc isn't even on yet and I still have rocks in the field with a bad knee...I did feel OK enough to mow today....that is until I tried getting off the tractor...30 mins later I hobbled to the house...ice, Ibuprofen and a pillow under my knee...I'm praying for sleep to take me away for a while...

Your plot looks good and I'm sure will look GREAT in a couple of weeks...

• Like 1

First time for me with Soybeans. My Farmer planted about 100 acres. Don't know what to expect?

Soybeans are awesome, they'll eat them once they start growing until they are gone. The only time they typically don't eat em is when they are yellow in color.. get ready for some action lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

First time for me with Soybeans. My Farmer planted about 100 acres. Don't know what to expect?

One thing I noticed is the difference in use between corn and soybeans if it's not a field secluded. Corn provides cover and soybeans not so much. Deer travel patterns or preferences for blind spots in the field with be different.

• Like 3

Very true db, soybeans do offer cover when the leaves are still green though.. ive seen many of deer raise out of their beds from within soybeans during early bow season days... even the antlers of bucks hide pretty well under those soybean leaves.. 

Very true db, soybeans do offer cover when the leaves are still green though.. ive seen many of deer raise out of their beds from within soybeans during early bow season days... even the antlers of bucks hide pretty well under those soybean leaves.. 

yea I'd see the same and much more so before hard antler.  I could glass down into the corn from where I am.  deer definitely preferred the corn over beans I think just because it gave them a sense of more cover.  field sets down in but is seen by a couple houses and a road. with a little swamp in between.

Love soy beans ! The group shot's my nephews spot in Tenn. the other mine in NY .

I've found they hit them, all the way past harvest , digging around in the dirt for them . Although there is without a doubt a peak time .

post-253-0-04112100-1464890511_thumb.jpe

post-253-0-01880600-1464890564.jpeg

• Like 1

yea I'd see the same and much more so before hard antler.  I could glass down into the corn from where I am.  deer definitely preferred the corn over beans I think just because it gave them a sense of more cover.  field sets down in but is seen by a couple houses and a road. with a little swamp in between.

Corn is nice for the cover for sure. but depending on the hunting pressure,  it seems they bed in there and wont come out til dark if they feel more safe in there, thats the only reason i like soybeans over corn. Now if it was my own personal property and i had corn, i wouldnt mind it so much in hopes to pull deer from the neighbors and get them to bed in the corn lol.. But corn or soybeans, im a happy hunter. This year as long as my beans do well, i have 100 acres of corn i bud up to.. looking forward to some good looking deer come fall..

Soybean seeds i got at Kilbury's in Arkport, NY.. he carries Real World Wildlife soybeans and is 5 minutes away from my home... Not sure where you are located, but there are several soybean dealers around, depending on the brand your looking for; pioneer, eagle seed, or real world.. 

They were 85$/ bag... 1 bag for 1 acre

The first year I planted soybeans the deer were NOT used to the crop and really did not bother it much to the point where in the spring I lightly disced it in and  they reseeded themselves.  That was the last year that ever happened.  Now  I leave 3 acres standing for winter feed.  By late march the deer have it completely consumed every bean. Once the beans emerge from the soil the deer hit it every day.  So from June to when they strip the field bare...you will have deer visiting it.  I believe they like it more than corn. Caveat of some note: they seem to hit the field hardest after dark whereas they visit the cornfield during shooting hours. At $65 a bag.....it's a great return for your money. You just have to make sure you plant enough acreage so the deer don't destroy the field before July.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ive planted these for three years now, the first year they got wiped out.. i think the wood chucks did more damage than the deer.. But they regenerated a month or so later, but it was too late for any results to form..so i planted turnips/brassicas. The 2nd year i took care of the wood chucks and made a homemade "fence" type structure around the plot top keep deer out and the soybeans grew to almost 4' tall in spots, thick and lush dark green.. They grew awesome with a ton of bean pods.. and got hammered on

This year with the total lack of rain, I have some pretty bad germination so far. it is quite thin and what has sprouted, is 3 or 4" tall at most.. they are calling for rain tonight and into Friday so i bought another bag of soybean seed, this time (Seedway brand RR soybeans that are i believe a 2.0 group so they mature faster) and broadcast the seed over the soft seed bed to let the rain drive it in and germinate. With a heavy enough rain it should be fine.  

There was seed on the surface that had germinated but either died or was stunted with no rain, so i didn't want to kill anything that may still grow by disking it all up... but i did make a few passes in spots, for a trial to see if it takes off better than the non disked in new seed... 

Once germination takes off ill put my "fence" back up

That's a darn good price on those ...not much higher than what they sell them for down south ....Now did you go to Kilburys spring seminar to get them? If you go there they give you $$ of coupons :rolleyes:  on your seed and the dealers do talks..They have me on their mailing list..You can also order Dunstun chestnuts there as well at that time...They are on the Chestnut hill delivery list...

I just got done with the final kill down discing before the rain   then I will get the bean mix in the ground...I give up!!I disced around several piles of rocks...may ask Mr B if the offer of help is still on the table.

I didn't make it there thisbyear, but I am on the mailing list at kilburys. I believe this is the last year I will buy soybean from there. He sold me last year seed. I'll just go straight to a pioneer dealer for next year. Not impressed this year.

I wanted to buy some chestnut trees from there along with others as well, but dad was taken from me suddenly back in March and no time to do it this year now

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that LEM....I get mine from Seedway.......Saturday I went down and used the bucket to scoop up most of the rock piles left.  Hhhmmm did better than I thought not scooping the top soil...definitely it gave me a lot of practice...today is the day ...finish coffee and wait for the school bus to go by,they come down that hill way to fast...I just as soon not get rear ended on the tractor, then go plant. I'll run the disc once ...drop the fertilizer then the seed...different sizes so will walk it over. Then a light disc and drag. I have a dozen pinwheel arriving and just need to pound in the posts for the scare crows...I may pop over and pick up a couple of bags of Milorganite. Thunderstorms due tonight...I am praying. 

When I was scooping up the rocks I noticed some yellow...got off tractor to check...way....TOO much corn kernel in the rock piles. :rolleyes:  I'm wondering just how little road cover I will have...Also planting the rest of corn cover today.

Lab Lab Plus,Sunn Hemp, Iron clay peas, grain sorghum and a hand or two full of corn...

This fall if they hit the plot too hard I will drop in clovers and rye grain...I didn't get a chance to take care of the lane way.  So once the bigger area is done I'll finish those piles and do another weed spray down. This is a new area so still working on the weed seed...I then have chicory plus and the turnips that need plant in the late summer...The WW to let dry down and I may just cut it once it does. This will allow the birds to pick through and I will lay clover in there just before I cut...the litter will hold moisture and the cutting will allow the tractor to press seed to soil....A clover and probably WW wheat plot again.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

I love it when the farmer plants beans at our place, which he did this year. I shot my biggest buck in a bean field. A 2 acre bean field would get wiped out here, hopefully that's not the case at your place. Good luck!

I only have 2 acres to work with in my biggest field. but with my "Fence" i install they keep out for as long as its up. once deer season nears i remove it and let them hammer away. My main reason for the beans is a late season food source, and the first week or 2 of archery.. this way i can try and keep them holding bean pods through the winter.. I love planting soy beans and we do not have much around us, in fact none this year .. 

With last weeks couple quick storms my beans started takign off better, there way behind.. along with the new seed i planted has sprouted as well.. The field corn screen isnt looking to hot.. whatever it is keeps pulling all the sprouts. Even with the pie tins and pin wheels through there. oh well i tried lol.. but the sweet corn i planted next to it, they didnt even touch.. its about 8" tall now and looks good. strange lol. 

What ever beans that didnt germinate and leave thin spots ill dress with turnips and brassicas end of july, maybe some oats in September. 

My tractor is down and i have a wedding to pay for next month, so im not sure if ill have it up and running by then.. if not ill use the wheeler but that takes much more time lol

Well neatest thing happened...I'm down getting last piles scooped up and discing as I move them when I swing around and there is a young doe trotting across the field toward me...I continue to the pile I was building off the plot and look to my right and there she stands 15 yards away staring at me...lol I finished emptying the bucket and wait...she isn't moving..so I said your a pretty lady but I'm busy your in my way!...she does a nose flip a half hearted stomp and walks right over to the last pile I have to go scoop up...I wait a bit more and then back the tractor up to swing around...she glanced at me as I was driving to her and then slowly walked over to the fence and jumped it...still not a care in the world for she stood watching me as I got the last pile....Wish I had my Phone. I ran over one of my phones with the little tractor one day...won't risk the same with the big one....They get so use to my and the equipment...

Taking a lunch break and then driving the Gator down with  spreaders,fertilizers,seeds inoculates and going to finish flipping that one money off my back