Clover Plant Date 2016

I have mine in now...it's sprouting nicely with more rains on the way....I planted the red clover in the garden last week and have more areas to plant to have it ready for this falls garden clean up and opening to deer for bow season...this is for soil improvement and tilling in next spring

• Like 1

My ladino clover / rape are already a couple inches tall, but i planted mine a little early this year only because my 2 new plots were created in mid june. Typically you want to shoot for later part of July and latest first week in August.

WTI shows up to 9/15, so I figured I would wait till last minute in hopes it would be around for Xbow season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did my WI forage oats plus and WI clover on 9/16/15 in Steuben county only because that was the only available date i had. Oats grew well for being later than i would like to plant, got about 4-5 inches tall.. Clovers did not grow(just built the root system) until the following April, but they came on great... until this chitty drought were in.. kind of dormant looking now

12 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

WTI shows up to 9/15, so I figured I would wait till last minute in hopes it would be around for Xbow season.

By planting late into August or september your not allowing enough of a window timeframe for the seeds to germinate and establish themselves prior to the fall/winter. Its not uncommon by me in 4f to get a frost or even snow in early october. Whats worked best for me is middle to late July and plant before an expected rainfall. I lucked out this year by planting late june only because it rained but typically i wouldn't plant that early. I never go by the dates on those bags, i just go by my own planting journals and knowledge of MY area.

• Like 1

By planting late into August or september your not allowing enough of a window timeframe for the seeds to germinate and establish themselves prior to the fall/winter. Its not uncommon by me in 4f to get a frost or even snow in early october. Whats worked best for me is middle to late July and plant before an expected rainfall. I lucked out this year by planting late june only because it rained but typically i wouldn't plant that early. I never go by the dates on those bags, i just go by my own planting journals and knowledge of MY area.

Make sense. Maybe I'll shoot for Aug 15-20

• Like 1

What are those little metal fence things called and where can I get one? The little things that surround a tiny portion of the plot so u can see how much is growing compared to the unprotected plot being eaten?

What are those little metal fence things called and where can I get one? The little things that surround a tiny portion of the plot so u can see how much is growing compared to the unprotected plot being eaten?

4 legs wrapped with chicken wire....what my neighbor does

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

4 legs wrapped with chicken wire....what my neighbor does

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Who sells chicken wire? Home Depot or maybe a nursery that sells plants/trees?

I planted wildlife clover mixed with turnips last night. Hoping for rain in the next few days as predicted by weather forecast. Today I get up and the weather man has changed the forecast and the rain looks like it's going to miss my area? Now I'm concerned, how long can the seed sit and still germinate or if it starts to germinate only to dry right up w/o adequate rain fall?

With clovers your fairly safe small HARD seed...that's why they can be frost seeded...now usually you can have a dehydration problem with beans....worms or just rot...much of my bean plot didn't germinate and I had a bunch that sat on top of the ground(I spread and disc) getting smaller and smaller...thought what a waste. Well last weeks rains brought all that seed to life and in places not even weeds were growing........ up pop all the beans,hemp, and peas... they are now several inches high ,while the rest of the plot are 18"-3' high. Then on the goat paddock area I had soybeans in 2years ago....turnips and clover last year...I disced it up and planted a mix of fall/winter seed...what pops up? a bunch of soybean plants. So ya sometimes get surprises on how well they survive.

• Like 1

So I plan to plant the clover the weekend of 20-21 in August. A few quick questions:

1. I did Lime to raise PH back a few months ago, should I add more lime the same day as planting or wait?

2. I have the correct fertilizer, and it appears the directions from WTI say to put fertilizer down first, then clover seeds. is this correct and done on same day?

I guess my overall question is what order should I do? fertilizer then seeds. then maybe lime in a month?

thanks!!

lime takes time to work...if you didn't put down the amount you know it needed the first time...then add more at the time of fertilizing...fertilizer then walk the seed over the top before a good rain......though remember you want to firm that soil up a bit after you apply the fertilizer...you don't want rain or traffic to push the seed too deep, same goes for turnips ...any tiny seed.

10 minutes ago, growalot said:

lime takes time to work...if you didn't put down the amount you know it needed the first time...then add more at the time of fertilizing...fertilizer then walk the seed over the top before a good rain......though remember you want to firm that soil up a bit after you apply the fertilizer...you don't want rain or traffic to push the seed too deep, same goes for turnips ...any tiny seed.

I used the correct amount of fast acting lime a few months ago, but thought another round couldn't hurt. Should I maybe hold off on lime for a month or so then? so I would simply put fertilizer down first, then drop clover seeds and walk on top of it all.

If you put the correct amount down,  then no I'd wait to check PH next year and just fertilize. You did work the lime into the soil correct...thing about lime ,it is a particle to particle contact amendment..that's how it works to change PH levels...simply put.  So you also should work the fertilizer in ...now I have to ask how big is this plot? I ask because you said walk over it. If it is really small and your not using equipment yes walk over then put seed on top...if you have a motorized anything just drive over it......you could put a log section on a piece of fencing and drag...light enough log drag by hand. Rope tied to either end of log and around your waist then start pulling.....   then lay down seed always best before a rain...let the rain work the seed in.

• Like 1

I planted  clover mixed with triple cleaned oats last year the first week of September..The deer worked the oats well in the fall and the clover came up like gangbusters this spring.  It has done well this summer despite the drought. I just gave it a second mowing last week to control the weeds, mostly Queen Anne's Lace.  Best clover I have ever had.. It is thick and lush. I almost hated to mow it, but I don't have a sprayer, so my main method of weed control is mowing.

If you put the correct amount down,  then no I'd wait to check PH next year and just fertilize. You did work the lime into the soil correct...thing about lime ,it is a particle to particle contact amendment..that's how it works to change PH levels...simply put.  So you also should work the fertilizer in ...now I have to ask how big is this plot? I ask because you said walk over it. If it is really small and your not using equipment yes walk over then put seed on top...if you have a motorized anything just drive over it......you could put a log section on a piece of fencing and drag...light enough log drag by hand. Rope tied to either end of log and around your waist then start pulling.....   then lay down seed always best before a rain...let the rain work the seed in.

Can't get any tools back there except leaf blower, rakes, etc. plot is going to be about 120' x 50'. So like 6k sq ft. Will just hope for rain afterwards. I can't plan around it. Only weekend I am free to plant is 20-21st

52 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Can't get any tools back there except leaf blower, rakes, etc. plot is going to be about 120' x 50'. So like 6k sq ft. Will just hope for rain afterwards. I can't plan around it. Only weekend I am free to plant is 20-21st

By using a chainlink fence section approx, 3' by 6' weighed down with cider blocks, large timber beams etc..pulled by an atv is enough  to both work in the fertilizer and lime and to leave you a nice firm seed bed. Once that is done by going over the plot several times you can lay down your seed and go over the whole plot just one last time to lightly submerge your seed. If you have cracks and crevices 1and getting your seed too deep you will loose alot of your seed. Firm seed bed,   top seeding or slightly submerging the seeds will work well as those clover and brassica seeds are tiny and fair well if  top seeded or covered to a depth of 1/2". 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guys...just thought of something. I am Planting the clover the 20-21st weekend. But what happens in the fall when the leaves fall onto the food plot? I certainly don't want to go in with a leaf blower in November.....this isn't an open field. Below is a pic of the area (before I cleared leaves and spread like a few months ago).

d11baa08216de6ea4702e317ce170cec.jpg