22Cal

Dom

When at Dick's i saw 22 ammo that is for snake's/rodents they are CCI has anyone used them and are they or arent they worth buying.I ask because i do alot of work in trailer/mobile home areas.

I use them for rodents and they work well. The shot size is very small (#12 shot I believe) and propelled with just enough energy to kill mice and snakes. In a rifled barrel, they pattern best at about 10 feet, as the rifling spins the shot, causing it to expand too rapidly. This thins out the pattern a lot at any further distance. With a smoothbore .22 rifle you will see a good pattern out to about 30 feet, but smoothbore .22's are rare and expensive.

The ammo is expensive, but it works well for close range applications and makes very little noise when fired from a rifle, about twice as much noise if fired from a short barreled pistol. I think it would be great if someone offered a 6 inch barreled smoothbore pistol for these rounds. That would be the perfect gun to use these in for dispatching mice and snakes.

BTW, they are a little too light for rats, or animals bigger than a red squirrel. They just wound them and they will still be able to get away. An unrecovered rat that dies in a shed, or anywhere inside, is gonna stink bad.

My experience differs from Grouse's ....In my experience they have been quite effective on rats at "across the chicken coop" range, at least from the 6" barrel of my S&W K22...

They pathetic, indeed, though, from a rifle... The handgun patterns them much better.