Giant hogweed...

wooly

Easy fellas....I don't think ya want to smoke this stuff,lol

http://www.dec.ny.go...mals/39809.html

It's been all over the news and in the local papers for the last few years now here and has come up again this summer....supposed to be some real nasty stuff if ya get the sap on ya and spend some time in the sun.

I had a small patch growing in the creek bottom I stopped by to check on today. It's turned into a forest of well over 100 plants growing in this spot with a few sattelite plants spreading out some distance away from the original site. Many of them are already well over 10ft tall.

Anyone have any experience removing this stuff?

Anyone ever come into contact with the sap and have any interesting reactions they'd like to share?

CSC_0558.jpg

Why do it yoursef when you can get someone else to do it for you?

DEC Hogweed Hotline

The DEC crews look something like this.

I pitty the poor bastards that work on these crews.

Your patch will continue to grow if left un-checked. Its spread mainly along water ways. I just saw a patch the other day that popped up again in livingston county whcih had been "eradicated".

The toxin is a photo-phyto toxin. It has a photo chemical reaction to UV light which can cause 3rd degree burns. Not the best considering kids like to chop it down and use the stems as a telescope or blow gun because they are hollow.

If you do decide to tackle it yourself GET THE SEED HEADS!!!! Bag them and put them in the landfill. As for the remainder of the plant cut it down and rip up the roots but cover yourself head to toe, including goggles and face protection.

Roundup (mixed hot) will work with repeated applications and some other goodies like Garlon 9 work a little better hope DEC dosent read this, LOL

I have never seen the stuff but there were many articles on Hogweed the past couple of years . They say , DO NOT TOUCH the stuff . If can cause serious burns .

I would read up on the Hogweed and figure out how to get rid of it . Apparently it spreads quick .

Be very careful around Hogweed . Don't mess with it unless you read up on it 1st !

In my never ending quest for first hand knowledge, I may have to conduct a little experiment of my own back at the lab. :fie:

I've got the perfect guinee pig for this,lol. :bye:

I have what I thought was hogweed. Made the call to the hotline, a couple months later I got a reply, short story is it ended up being cow parsnip. Extremely similar in appearance but harmless. These things are very similar to the unexperienced eye and are over 10 feet tall as well. If you google giant hogweed look alike you will get some photos to compare them. Actually here is a good comparison of them. http://www.hort.ucon...like_web/CP.htm The picture you posted looks like cow parsnip but without seeing it upclose I take no responsibily for the guess lol. Just be careful and certain what it is before you go diving into this stuff. Purple on the stems and the leaf pattern will help better identify if its hogweed.

Edited by wdswtr

Definatly call the dec and get ot removed, I have a 10 in long purple scar from the sap which is photosensitive, it has to stay covered or it burns everytime its exposed to sunlight, its the result of accidentally grabbing a unflowered plant while climbing a creek bank.

I have what I thought was hogweed. Made the call to the hotline, a couple months later I got a reply, short story is it ended up being cow parsnip. Extremely similar in appearance but harmless. These things are very similar to the unexperienced eye and are over 10 feet tall as well. If you google giant hogweed look alike you will get some photos to compare them. Actually here is a good comparison of them. http://www.hort.ucon...like_web/CP.htm The picture you posted looks like cow parsnip but without seeing it upclose I take no responsibily for the guess lol. Just be careful and certain what it is before you go diving into this stuff. Purple on the stems and the leaf pattern will help better identify if its hogweed.

Very helpfull link wdswtr! Looks like hogweed to me. Here's some shots of the leaves and stem I took too.

DSC_0517.jpg

CSC_0552.jpg

Definatly call the dec and get ot removed, I have a 10 in long purple scar from the sap which is photosensitive, it has to stay covered or it burns everytime its exposed to sunlight, its the result of accidentally grabbing a unflowered plant while climbing a creek bank.

Dang, that's the kinda confirmation to it's nastyness I was looking for.

Guys,

You might not be in giant hogweed it is hear in NY but Wild Parsnip is very prevalent in NY and it does the same thing. It is a yellow flowering plant and gives you blisters just like giant hog weed. The sun reacts with the oils and burns you. I was lucky enough to have just gotten into some working a couple of weeks ago. The blisters feel just like a bad burn so it isn't nice and they always seem to leave a nice scar. Here is a link for you guys to check out. www.dot.ny.gov/dangerous-plants/wild-parsnip

Good stuff here...Now, I have a question: I discovered a patch of tall weeds growing along a shallow drainage ditch about a quarter mile from my house. From the road, the flowers sure look like giant hogweed. The leaves, however, do not. Unlike those of the hogweed, they appear to be rather simple compound leaves. Unfortunately, the mansion-dwellers have several NO TRESPASSING posted that keep me from getting close enough for a better identification. (I can find nothing online...or in any of my books that can tell me what it is.) I will approach one of the landowners (a dynamite blonde) later in the day to see if I can stray on her property for a better look. In the meantime....anybody got any idea what I'm looking at?

There is another plant out there that has similar flowers to the giant hogweed. It is queens ann's lace. They also call it wild carrot. If you crush the stems or pull the root (which is a tuber and can be eaten) it will smell just like carrots. Queen ann's lace will usually have a black dot in the middle of the flower and it looks like a bug but is not. QAL is also much smaller. Giant hogweed is over 6' tall when it flowers and looks like a giant weed/flower(hence the name).

Easy fellas....I don't think ya want to smoke this stuff,lol

http://www.dec.ny.go...mals/39809.html

It's been all over the news and in the local papers for the last few years now here and has come up again this summer....supposed to be some real nasty stuff if ya get the sap on ya and spend some time in the sun.

I had a small patch growing in the creek bottom I stopped by to check on today. It's turned into a forest of well over 100 plants growing in this spot with a few sattelite plants spreading out some distance away from the original site. Many of them are already well over 10ft tall.

Anyone have any experience removing this stuff?

Anyone ever come into contact with the sap and have any interesting reactions they'd like to share?

CSC_0558.jpg

I came into contact with what I think was that stuff years ago. Burned like anything. Feels like ya have a lit cigarrette held against yer skin. Actually leaves burns too so be carful.

Very helpfull link wdswtr! Looks like hogweed to me. Here's some shots of the leaves and stem I took too.

DSC_0517.jpg

CSC_0552.jpg

Dang, that's the kinda confirmation to it's nastyness I was looking for.

Its hog weed - no question

Guys,

You might not be in giant hogweed it is hear in NY but Wild Parsnip is very prevalent in NY and it does the same thing. It is a yellow flowering plant and gives you blisters just like giant hog weed. The sun reacts with the oils and burns you. I was lucky enough to have just gotten into some working a couple of weeks ago. The blisters feel just like a bad burn so it isn't nice and they always seem to leave a nice scar. Here is a link for you guys to check out. www.dot.ny.gov/dangerous-plants/wild-parsnip

Parsnip will generally have a more yellow flower and usually doesn't get as tall (although it can) and no purple on the stem.

Good stuff here...Now, I have a question: I discovered a patch of tall weeds growing along a shallow drainage ditch about a quarter mile from my house. From the road, the flowers sure look like giant hogweed. The leaves, however, do not. Unlike those of the hogweed, they appear to be rather simple compound leaves. Unfortunately, the mansion-dwellers have several NO TRESPASSING posted that keep me from getting close enough for a better identification. (I can find nothing online...or in any of my books that can tell me what it is.) I will approach one of the landowners (a dynamite blonde) later in the day to see if I can stray on her property for a better look. In the meantime....anybody got any idea what I'm looking at?

Poison Hemlock - Short description is tall, white flower head - smaller, with purple on the stem, and a smaller compound leaf.

Poison Hemlock

Or Parsnip

Edited by 5.9cummins

I realize you were not replying to me, but I have considered both poison hemlock and a variety of parsnips...with no matches. I still do not know what this stuff is.

pic would help, I can pass it by a couple people and should be able to come up with an answer in pretty short order.

pic would help, I can pass it by a couple people and should be able to come up with an answer in pretty short order.

Cummins, i think Early knows exactly what that plant is. He just wants to go over to that blonde's place again.. This time with a camera.LOL Edited by dave6x6
  • Like 1

As they say ..... a picture is worth a thousand words. That pic will definitely keep me away from the stuff.

And that was just the calf!! Wherever she crossed her legs she had burns too!! And I beleive it took 5 months to turn to a purple scar.And she still cant get it in the sun.