Fixed blade vs mechanical

crappyice

ive always shot mechanicals ever since i started hunting. they have never failed on me knock on wood. Last year i shot two with the bow. I usually use rage two blade but tried G5 T3s i shot the first one with the g5 blew threw it and stuck in the ground a good six to eight inches but wasnt impressed with blood trail though it wasnt needed for the deer only ran fourty yards and dropped "heart shot:" so i went back to the rage two blade on the second hit it a little far back never the less the deer went a good eighty to one hundred and dropped, however decent blood trail i here alot of bad stuff about the rage two blade but i have never had any real issue with them other than when you put them in the quiver and they open they never seem to close tight without a new o ring

I was using fixed since I first started bowhunting. Specifically the original muzzy 3 blades and NAP hellrazors. I took a bunch of deer with both heads. Last season I had the biggest buck i've ever seen at 15 yards and I choked big time. I made a poor, non-lethal shot on the deer and he survived. Since that painful experience i've switched my broadhead to spitfire maxx. I havent shot anything with them yet but im looking for a little more cutting diameter for marginal hits, incase it happens again.

• 2 weeks later...

So if fixed blades fly close to the same as field points and are more reliable than mechanicals, what is th benefit of a mechanical? I was planning on again hunting with the grim reapers from last year but I don't know if the mechanicals are worth the risk of not deploying properly.

Ive shot mechanicals when they first came out and have still shoot them. Ive never lost a deer while using them. I have used Rocket 3 blade and now i use Rage 2 blade. They are devestating, most deer expire within 20 to 40 yds.I have nothing against fixed blade heads i just like mechanicals. Good luck this season. I hope ya get a big one.

I've used Rage and G5 Montec and T3. Haven't killed a deer yet with any of them but after shooting at deer and clearly missing them, i noticed that the rage and T3 didn't deploy fully even after hitting the dirt. The G5 i used seemed to fair well when released. But after reading and watching video reviews of the swhackers blowing through plywood at a 67 degree angle, i pulled the trigger and got them to use this season.

When I first started bow hunting I shot the fixed blade razor backs (yes with the rotating head and yes I still have some) and killed the only deer I saw with it. I then switched to the NAP thunderhead because that's what my friend shot and killed a big buck with. I killed a couple with them. Next I tried the muzzy 3 blade because they were all the hype and everyone was using them. Killed a few deer with them. Next I tried the Ted Nugent 2 blade (fixed). They were ok, killed a deer with it, but were tough to keep sharp. After that I tried my first mechanical, the NAP spitfire. Loved how they flew and how little tuning was needed for them to fly good off my string. Killed a bunch of deer with them. So then I tried some other mechanicals, rocket, wasps, Grim reapers, and several others. Didn't like any of them. Then this new one came out, Rage 3 blade with a slip cam and rear deployment. Sounded fancy, and a lot of people were shooting them, so I tried it. Didn't like them. Almost lost a doe and small buck the first two times I hunted with them (both pass throughs, very little blood trail, tracked forever.) Went back to the spitfire. Then Rage came out with the 2 blade and I hemmed and hawwed and talked myself out of trying them...but then bought some anyway. I have killed 2 deer on those broadheads, all pass throughs with great blood trail. Then a buddy of mine said you need to try the swhackers, they are awesome! I havent had a deer go more than 30 yards! And he isn't that great of a shot. So this past spring they had a deal, buy one pack get one free. How could I pass that up at 29.99 a pack with $5 shipping? So I bought $89.97 worth. Figured if I didn't like them, I could sell them to my buddy. So I will be trying them out this fall. Hopefully they will live up to the hype. Needless to say, I've tried a lot of broadheads!

Some one told me once he shot a buck in the shoulders with a mechanical (rage 2) and it didn't penetrate the shoulder blade. Maybe fixed blades offer more "oompphh"?

alot of folks will claim better penetration with fixed blades which may hold truth according to that individuals setup. My personal experience, ive shot both fixed and mechanical... I personally prefer to shoot my RAGE and i will add that last year with my Mathews MR5 at 70lbs with my rage Broadheads i took a 22 yard shot on a adult doe slightly quartering away i blew through the ribs in and shoulder out with no prob, it hit the dirt behind instantly and still stuck in the ground almost halfway. The shoulder was all busted up and the blades still intact. Even i was surprised lol... i get clean pass throughs almost everytime except for one the arrow hit the off shoulder with my Switchback XT and just stopped... in any event i love the Rage BH as they are not an over the top mechanical head and opens up and opens the deer up instantly! i never had an issue with them and ive taken alot of deer with them.

I just wanted to offer this review by OL on broadheads for your thoughts.

http://www.outdoorli...=MjgzMTQ1NDM2S0

Interesting. I used muzzy 100s for yrs and had good performance with them, till I got married and our daughter and no longer had any money.I started using the cheapos and still killed deer so I guess it just depends on what you prefer. Heck ive killed a few deer using those cheap sattelite broadheads with the black carbon replaceable blades back in the late 80's and early 90's. They would come out the other side and hit the dirt missing a few blades but the deer would go down in sight with good blood trails. Just made for some nerve racking gut job's. :laugh:

I shoot rage 2 blades & Love them I was using nap 3 blades (don't remeber which model) rubber band fold backs lost 2 deer with them. have killed 4 deer now with the rage & have not had 1 go over 70 yards I am only shooting about 55#'s last one was a 53 yard shot. I know there have been a lot of complaints on the 3 blades but have not had an issue with the 2 blades. Just make sure you keep the O-ring lubed as the blades won't stay locked in if they are dry & the Rage do fly the same as my field points