Range Finders

Cabin Fever

OK, who uses them?? I've been debating on whether to get one or not. Honestly, I limit my shots to 25 yards anyway. From practicing all through summer out to that distance, I feel confident that I can estimate pretty accurately in the woods. I usually pace off 25 yards at each stand while I'm out trimming before season, so I have a pretty good idea. I've never felt that I "needed" one, as I've done fine without one. It's one more expense and something else to carry in the woods. Then I just read, don't bother buying one unless it has ARC.

Should I get one or not??

If you do the Trig you'll see the Angular Compensations are N/A for treestand hunters at a height of 20' or less.

Exception is a straight downward, under the stand shot. Intutively you'll know he's not 10yds like a normal rf tells you.

Those ARC rangefinders were developed mostly for extremely sharp shooting angles, up or down hill/mountain sides.

If your stand is at the edge of a steep drop-off, ARC might be useful.

That's for bow hunting. If you're already a decent judge of distances, save your $$.

For shotgun/rifle I could see where a regular rf might be useful in certain situations.

I had an older style, it was okay.

Did same thing you do, pre-mark or memorize 25 yard landmarks.

Sold the old one & got the new ARC, don't ask why.

Still carry it, use it when I'm bored, never have used it when a deer is approaching.

Wouldn't miss it if I left it behind on a hunt.

Money that would be better spent on a good pair of compact binos or backpack, or clothing, or ...

Just remember , if you use one , the distance to range is the horizontal distance not the hypotenuse !

With a traditional rangefinder, true!

ARC RFs take the line of sight (hypotenuse) and converts it into horizontal distance.

I am well aware of the ARC RF capability . I mentioned the hypotenuse because many folks think that is the distance .

I have a 400 yard Range Finder that I may take gun hunting but don't bother during archery season . I also have one of the older "Ranging TLR75" range finders . It works like some of the old parallex cameras . You look through it and see a double image . You move the dial until it focus' to a single image and then read the distance on the dial .

I have one, Bushnell yardage pro something or another. Nothing to fancy but it works. I like to take it when I hit a new spot, I'll estimate the distance then hit it and see how close I was. Used it other times to get field - target distance etc., not critical information but very nice to have.

I use mine all the time.  I have an older Bushnell.  when I get to the stand, I range various trees, rocks, etc around my stand to create a perimeter of known distance.  Then when a deer comes in, I know what the range is.  As for the ARc technology, I'm not sold on it as of yet.  I simply use the range finder from an elevated position and just set my bow to match it. 

The range finder is also very useful when I'm still hunting or travelling.  If a deer happens to approach, I can follow it with the range finder and not have to guess at the distance. 

Last year I shot a turkey.  The arrow blew right through her and I thought she would die in a few seconds.  But after a minute she started to walk off.  Thank God I had the rangefinder so I could put a final shot in.  You may have to put a long shot on a wounded animal someday.  Possibly laying down.  It would be nice to know the EXACT range before launching another arrow.