Upstate Private Land

bwilso20

Yes couldn't believe it I know the taxidermist he told me it was 2 1/2 year old buck will post soon

Keep in mind that taxidermists aren't wildlife biologists, what they say is not always factual. I don't believe that there are any 155" 2 years olds running around this state.

On a different note, that's a great looking buck!!!

Back to the first buck- I counted 15-16 points. He doesn't even look all that old- maybe 4? Hujungus! The 2nd buck is a hard sell at 155 and @ 2 yrs old. I'd say 3 yrs old and 140 is more like it.

I agree on all counts.

Remember, no matter if it's Kip Adams, Dr. Karl Miller or Dr. James Kroll himself that we are talking about...when it comes to aging an unknown deer from a couple of photos... the ages that they come up with are just estimates and there is huge margin for error.

Here's a local buck that a friend killed back in 2010. Despite have an estimated 15" broken off of his right antler, this deer still gross scored 181 typical. His taxidermist and a local biologist at the Region 8 office in Avon aged this deer at 2.5 years old!!! I wish that I could say that I'm joking about this but I'm not...

Wheeler1-B.jpg

IMG_0321lll.jpg

DSCN016788.jpg

DSCN0171yyy.jpg

The cementum annuli test lab test came back with an age of 6.5 years. Honestly, it's hard to despute this test, but he sure didn't have the tooth wear indicative of a deer of that age class. I'm thinking more along the lines of 4.5. The shed antler in the photo was picked up by my uncle in March of 2010 meaning that this deer added around 50 typical inches to his frame from 2009 to 2010!!!

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

I think in some areas the wear amount can be decieving. I would think a deer on ag crops like corn, beans and grasses would show much less tooth wear than one in the areas where they focus on browes, and mast as primaries.

That buck is just unbelievable.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

This deer had access to the same food items that most other deer throughout the northeast, southeast and midwest do...a mixture of ag crops (corn, beans, alfalfa) and natural browse/mast...

I am not sure if we are saying the same thing or not. I know all the same forage is available but what is predominantly used? a 6.5 year old in agricultural country and a 6.5 year old in the high peaks of the Daks will have defferent tooth wear based on the diet. That was my thought anyway.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club