If a forester....

growalot

Is going to come and mark a property...seeing that the neighboring property magically ended up with metal posted signs on the ground and under rocks...might want to contact the owner to walk the line....for any Future Forrester's...putting up flagging that when one stands and looks down said flagged line in either direction ...it perhaps should not look like zig zag stitching....GPS is not a legal survey...coming of a stake and being off 1-2 degrees equates to a large difference 200yards down a line....but this will be discussed in length I'm sure.......

depending ont eh accuracy of the GPS though it could be pretty close. the GPS isn't used as a survey but as a locater from an established and legal survey. I have seenthem put up ribons as a visual buffer so even the skiddrs don't wander onto adjacent properties. Have you actually seen maked for removal trees that you think are on you property or just the ribbons?

When I had my land split off a larger parcel, all they used was gps. My land is adjacent to 3 separate property owners also, so the line had to be exact.

When you cant see the center line of the nearest road, or have any established corner post, I would say gps is the most accurate way.

Sounds like a neighbor is logging. Make sure that the neighbor and the logger know your paying attention. The lines seem to get blurred right around the valuable trees and often seem to get marked on the wrong side. As a rule line trees should not be cut and the logger cutting on the wrong side is liable for 3 (4?) time the stump value in NY. You can Google these two things. Also worth taking a couple PICs for the record.

Ya know had this problem before with same crew...now this property had a logger come in this past weekend...he was polite came to the house said signs were absent...so Mr. B sent him down to me(i was working a field)....We walked the line...yep there were my signs all down with rocks on them...but we've ran that line 2x's and the second time put a stake in the middle...The owner of property has no stakes...for he has no survey...We just got out the survey map this a.m......Any how logger must have declined job...for he got this crew in...not much on the 12 acres anyways,,,Mr B comes home and says you best go check ...sure enough I was home all day and he came up and flagged the line and marked the trees....Never attempting to contact me....one tree he painted a big no all around...nice..on our property...then as you walk down through wasn't look too bad to..yes got to a couple of good trees...I stand on line at one of flags and look in either direction..sure enough...looks like some one got out a sewing machine and had it set on zig zag...then I'm seeing were metal is still attached to trees from my signs and his flagging is up on us behind trees...then my orange flagging from last shot off the line has a new flag behind it on us...5 or so ft....So called and left a message we should talk...no calls back...which is what happened last time..run around ...until I grabbed the main cutter for company that got the bid...he I had no problem with...so unprofessional...MrB wants to know how he marked a line with no Degrees to go off...now most trees marked were well off the line...but this is an older guy that had already nailed onion sacks and strung tape all over when he EYE BALLED the line once before...reason for the last survey...not a bad guy and no problems save dealing with that...We don't want him thinking his line is some place other than where it is...Now I just glanced at the flagging on the back line...he boarders us on two sides...at a glance that wasn't bad...but I have not been home to go walk that particular section...last night I was in the middle of making dinner(beer can turkey...mm good :) )..Have meetings but first thing Saturday morning I'll be checking the back line....

No not a continuation of different post......We have 14 properties that border us...the guy that is marking trees for this particular neighbor is same one I dealt with on another line with a different neighbor...last time several years ago ...he had marked a huge very good maple on our land...I told him to unmark it ...he was over the line ...and ask how he determined the line...he said I marked up to posted signs...REALLY??...because as suggested by the DEC I post a few feet back from my line...I put the logger at the time on notice...he was very professional...unlike ppl doing the consulting and marking of trees...so now same guy different neighbor..no need for a lawyer...dealt with this before..no problem with neighbor...hopefully and not with who ever takes the bid...just this "consultant "

10 % + or - might be fine for you...but when your talking $$$$..it's not fine with me...

Besides...pretty sure...I have gotten the point across...if not...I'll deal with it anther way...I can't imagine this post has gone over his head ;)

The lines seem to get blurred right around the valuable trees and often seem to get marked on the wrong side. As a rule line trees should not be cut and the logger cutting on the wrong side is liable for 3 (4?) time the stump value in NY. You can Google these two things. Also worth taking a couple PICs for the record.

Well no call yet...leaving for a meeting..but will have cell and check messages in a bit...But Mr. B called we have the surveyors coming out for a third time...more stakes and more signs on stakes...He told MrB...even with a good GPS the closest one can get is 3 meters..around 10 ft....that can equal $$$$ crop loss on our end...well not ...pics and video have been taken...Be nice if he'd just be professional....Thanks for the input

Edited by growalot

My son had his property logged as few years ago . He contacted the Conservation folks and paid them 15 percent of what the loggers were paying my son . It was worth it as the Conservation folks watched over what was being done on the property . The loggers wanted a few more of the oak trees and my son said he didn't care as much about getting more money as he did keeping the trees . It worked out fine and everyone was happy .

So here it is the 28th....and never got a call back after a few messages...I finally get through this morning...Told Gee do not have record...really your voice was on the machine..ya I know but......really?....waiting for a call back again...surveyor arrives tomorrow...getting stakes and signs ready today.... :fie:

send a certified letter- to land owner and who ever is marking the trees tell them that you have marked the line- better your surveyor marked the line and they need to insure that all mark trees are on their side and monitor any and all people working on the line to insure that. If they have logs marked tell them you have unmarked them and they belong to you.

Because the line is totally open and there is a confusing stake on a different corner they are also going to look at...remember we have 14 ppl bordering us

Every single posted sign was removed and a New stake just showed up on the line...the owner of property getting logged...has never had a survey....he does not show any stake references of his land on our map...unlike all the other properties that border us....

Just got through walking the line with them... they are surveying now...will pound stakes that will be clearly visible one stake to another and marked with flagging...up dated in county...That way when this older land owner( not a bad guy...payed too much for what he got but...) finishes logging and goes to sell....there will be no misunderstanding on the lines...The surveyors said as we walked...there is absolutely nothing here to distinguish a line now that my signs are under rocks here and there...no hedge row...fencing...stone wall...nothing but open woods....If a Maple that should not have been cut goes missing...we have a leg to stand on in court

Also as I stated before...I've had a problem with this Forrester in the past on another parcel ...all he had to do was return a call be professional...whats he waiting for...the bids to come in so I'd have to deal with the loggers them self's?...Now he could possibly end up with more trees to cut...so be it...

At least we will have a clearly defined line ..once again...that if my signs disappear...I'll have legally placed stakes

Finally a call back so the post is done...good conversation...said was vacationing....used a compass to run the line...explained concerns...not sure logging will happen ...could not even get 100 trees off place...not sure worth it to owner or loggers coming to bid...another reason for me to be vigilant if loggers do come...so Found out that he never saw our middle stake...that owner of land showed him the other stake that magically appeared...hhhmmmm

They are done...so from front to midway the flagging was 4-8 ft up on us...from mid line to back stake he was very close to being right on but still up on us...and only one maple that was marked to cut...not including one he wrote no on...was very close to line....1ft his side.

Now owner knows what he owns on our side...no possible..mistakes by actual logger and clearly marked for any ooopps during hunting...like the surveyor said...it would only take one of those maples being cut to cover the survey costs ;)

I know some think seriously what B----...but ppl with land really need to be on top of things...just talked to a driver...told me of how a neighbor logged next his grandparents...he was only hunter to use land...he counted 60 stumps and they were still going when he caught them...logger got nasty when he tried to approach nicely...they had to get a lawyer...logger claimed only ten...that some other mysterious person took the rest....So this is just a reminder...you need to document every thing ahead and watch out for your elderly family members that are land owners...they don't have to be logging to get ripped off...just be next to a logged property....

Geeze, Growie...It must be be tough staggering around the boundaries of your 70 some acres with that huge chip on your shoulder.

Geeze, Growie...It must be be tough staggering around the boundaries of your 70 some acres with that huge chip on your shoulder.

And just what would you do if someone was infringing on your property ?

Thanks Eddie...I find it funny on here...guys discusses four wheelers tearing up his land and ppl are ready to set damaging traps and string wire ..ect and I try to protect our property for log theft ...help not only us.... but the neighbor with a clear boundary lines...by the way he thanked me yesterday.... am pro active instead of crying after the fact ...give examples on how ppl should think about looking out for elderly... family land owners..and I have a chip...really I lol..it's rich