send letters for crossbows in NY

Back on subject...

I got a reply from the Region 7 DEC wildlife office. They have verified that the recently passed rifle bill has inadvertently made crossbows illegal to use in Cortland county. Their legal department is looking into what can be done to fix it.

If you read the bill you might also notice that the legal implements that are allowed to use during the regular season is missing something else besides the crossbow.  The compound bow.  It list pistols, rifles, shotguns muzzleloaders and long bow.  NO cross or compound.  My camp is in cortland county and no compound during the regular season disturbs me a bit.

Yeah...this is what happens when lawmakers get involved in reg-setting.....not to mention none of this is published in the regs guide......I'd be willing to bet the ECOs aren't really happy about having to deal with this, and won't be enforcing the compound issue for sure....

Back on subject...

I got a reply from the Region 7 DEC wildlife office. They have verified that the recently passed rifle bill has inadvertently made crossbows illegal to use in Cortland county. Their legal department is looking into what can be done to fix it.

If you read the bill you might also notice that the legal implements that are allowed to use during the regular season is missing something else besides the crossbow.  The compound bow.  It list pistols, rifles, shotguns muzzleloaders and long bow.  NO cross or compound.  My camp is in cortland county and no compound during the regular season disturbs me a bit.

I missed that one. Sounds to me like proper attention just was not paid when the bill was written up. Just think of how much wasted time and money they will have to go through to fix it.

Back on subject...

I missed that one. Sounds to me like proper attention just was not paid when the bill was written up. Just think of how much wasted time and money they will have to go through to fix it.

What I find odd and leads me to believe it was a mistake is this  http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/35010.html  notice cortland county is in yellow and then take note of the weapons it list as legal in regular season.  This contradicts the bill.

Back on subject...

I'm pretty sure they mean all bows when they refere to longbows. A better question would be are you allowed to use a 410 shotgun with slugs in rifle country? Legal implements says a shotgun has to be 20 guage or bigger.

[table]    [tr]  [td]Implement[/td]  [td]Description[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]Bow[/td]  [td]Long (stick), recurve or compound bow with a draw weight in excess of 35 pounds. A legal arrowhead is non-barbed, has 2 or more cutting edges and is at least 7/8 inches wide.[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]Crossbow[/td]  [td]A bow, a string, and either compound or recurve limbs with a minimum width of 17 inches (tip of limbs, uncocked), mounted on a stock. The stock shall have a trigger with a working safety that hold the string and limbs under tension until released. It shall have a minimum overall length from the butt of the stok to the front of the limbs of 24 inches and be able to launch a minimum 14 inch arrow/bolt, not including the legal arrowhead. It shall have a draw weight of 100 to 200 pounds.[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]Muzzleloader[/td]  [td]Firearm loaded through the muzzle, a minimum bore of .44 inches and shooting a single projectile. Scopes may now be used during the Special Muzzleloading Season in addition to the Regular Big Game Season and the Early Bear Season. See Muzzleloading section of regulations for special requirements during the muzzleloading season.[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]Handgun*[/td]  [td]any centerfire pistol or revolver. Barrel length maximum is 16 inches

(NOTE: Possession of handguns in New York State requires a NYS Pistol Permit. New York does not recognize permits issued by other states.)[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]Shotgun*[/td]  [td]Must be 20 gauge of larger and fire a single projectile, rifling in the barrel or choke is allowed[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]Rifle*[/td]  [td]any centerfire rifle.[/td][/tr][/table]

Back on subject...

I'm pretty sure they mean all bows when they refere to longbows. A better question would be are you allowed to use a 410 shotgun with slugs in rifle country? Legal implements says a shotgun has to be 20 guage or bigger.

[table]    [tr]  [td]Implement[/td]  [td]Description[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]Bow[/td]  [td]Long (stick), recurve or compound bow with a draw weight in excess of 35 pounds. A legal arrowhead is non-barbed, has 2 or more cutting edges and is at least 7/8 inches wide.[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]Crossbow[/td]  [td]A bow, a string, and either compound or recurve limbs with a minimum width of 17 inches (tip of limbs, uncocked), mounted on a stock. The stock shall have a trigger with a working safety that hold the string and limbs under tension until released. It shall have a minimum overall length from the butt of the stok to the front of the limbs of 24 inches and be able to launch a minimum 14 inch arrow/bolt, not including the legal arrowhead. It shall have a draw weight of 100 to 200 pounds.[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]Muzzleloader[/td]  [td]Firearm loaded through the muzzle, a minimum bore of .44 inches and shooting a single projectile. Scopes may now be used during the Special Muzzleloading Season in addition to the Regular Big Game Season and the Early Bear Season. See Muzzleloading section of regulations for special requirements during the muzzleloading season.[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]Handgun*[/td]  [td]any centerfire pistol or revolver. Barrel length maximum is 16 inches

(NOTE: Possession of handguns in New York State requires a NYS Pistol Permit. New York does not recognize permits issued by other states.)[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]Shotgun*[/td]  [td]Must be 20 gauge of larger and fire a single projectile, rifling in the barrel or choke is allowed[/td][/tr]  [tr]  [td]Rifle*[/td]  [td]any centerfire rifle.[/td][/tr][/table]

The DEC rep said that crossbows are, at this time, no longer legal in Cortland County because of the way the law was written. I didnt ask about compounds, but can ask them.

Back on subject...

Trying to figure out why that is a better question and what a 410 that illegal to hunt big game with have to do with the new bill?

Back on subject...

Trying to figure out why that is a better question and what a 410 that illegal to hunt big game with have to do with the new bill?

Because inquiring minds want to know, happy?

Found this in todays paper

No Cortland crossbows  Starting this fall, big game hunters in Cortland County can use centerfire rifles -- for the first time in history. They can't, however, take advantage of the state's newest hunting implement, the crossbow.

Hunters in Cortland, Wyoming and portions of Chautauqua counties (south of Route 20) were legislated into rifle country two weeks ago.

That means that they join Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chemung, Chenango, Herkimer, Madison, Montgomery, Oneida, Oswego, Otsego, Schoharie, Schuyler, Steuben, Tioga, Yates and a portion of Broome, which allow deer and bear hunting with rifles.

For whatever reason crossbows are not, however, permitted for use in Cortland County, Westchester County, portions of Monroe County and portions of Albany County during the regular big game season, though they are allowed in the rest of the Southern Zone.

hey fellas, here is the NY bowfunkers assc incs policy on crossbows, i especially like the part where they make a comparison to a high power Thompson Center rifle, LOL :(

oh and isnt it really special how they have a letters from our troops section?? yea "our troops" as long as they dont wanna hunt with a crossbow right ???  read and laugh below....

http://www.newyorkbowhunters.com/xbow.html

Other than being a serious threat to Archery skills and seasons,  ( And bow manufacturers pocketbooks)  I think it's a pretty weak argument. If you don't want to use one then don't. Ive handled them and shot them and I can truly say its not for me. To cumbersom, heavy, and inacurate unless you have something to shoot off of. I don't think it will swell the bowhunter rank's either. In current states that have crossbow use during bow season, the data has shown that bowhunters make up the majority of crossbow users and very few gun hunter only go to a crossbow for bow season. Which makes sense, since if gunhunters will not take the time and spend the money on a new bow and learn the skill for bow season why would they take the time to buy a crossbow. And most archers are hardcore hunters who hunt all the seasons and use all weapons so it's only natural that they gravitate to using a crossbow also.

My View on the Cross-Bow Issue

I would like to state that I am a bow hunter and  have no intention of buying a cross-bow.

I have a friend who has MS; so I decided to do some  research into the cross-bow issue and statements made by the NYB, instead of  blindly following the NYB.

The first statement made by the NYB is. “A cross-bow  is not a bow”. I thought that could be subjective, but there had to be a  definition somewhere. I looked up the definition of a cross-bow in the Webster  Dictionary and found that a CROSS-BOW IS A BOW

The next statement made by the NYB is,” it doesn’t  take as much skill to shoot a cross-bow”. What the hell does that mean? Is that  supposed to be bad? I would rather see someone with limited practice. Who can  shoot a cross-bow well, then the guy who takes out his bow a week before the season,  and then wonders why he lost 2 or 3 deer?( it’s ok He’s a bow hunter)

These two next statements are really good.” A cross-  bow shoots faster than a compound bow”. That’s not true. Just look at the 2011  Mathews catalog they have bows that shoot just as fast on 1/3 the draw weight. This  one is a good one.” Cross-bow can shoot 1” group a 100yd’s”. I’m not going to  say it can’t be done, but there are some factors that have to be taken into  consideration first. The first of these factors is Gravity. A bow or cross-bow  with a 400gr. Arrow going 350fps and sighted in for 25yds will drop about 8.7ft  at 100yds... If you sight in for 100yds the bow or cross-bow would be useless for  anything less than 70yds. Then can you kill anything that far? If you can’t  then it doesn’t matter how good the group is. Then there is the wind. An arrow has  a big surface area it won’t take much wind to blow it off target. (I used a  Sierra 6 ballistics program and a high BC level of .700)

I found that  most of the statements made by the NYB were either not true or only half truths.  They claim to represent all bow hunters, but I don’t think they do!

My friend is  never going to climb into a tree stand again and a draw lock doesn’t work for  him. A cross-bow may not work for him but he deserves the opportunity to try  one if he wants.

I have to admit I have limited experience with a  cross-bow. I have only shot one once and found it to be heavy and cumbersome  and noisy. To me it is more of a novelty. I’m not going to put 500 to 800  dollars down on one. The only advantage I can see is that it may be a more  stable platform then a bow. 

When the cross-bow comes  to the archery season; the blame for the use of cross-bow in the archery season  should be placed squarely on the shoulders of the origination that claims to  represent all bow hunters. The NYB is taking a no cross-bow no-way for any  reason stand. Made it possible for the pro cross-bow forces to get almost  everything in time they want, because the NYB made themselves look like elitist  spoiled children. The NYB could have help crafted a law that would have  loosened the handicap restriction and maybe put in an age requirement. Let’s  hope when cross –bows comes to the archery season those wanting to use  cross-bows in the archery season will have to take the bow hunters course

NY archers do a fine job harvesting deer every year and our numbers continue to grow. NY does not need x-guns in the woods during archery season but they need to make obtaining an x-gun Easier for those that truly need it.

They didnt make x-guns legal (whatever an x-gun is) and they certainly wont be adding them to archery season. They are looking to add crossbows though, and have already legalized them. The additional bowhunters that will be joining our ranks with their crossbows, will be a good thing for the sport, and in turn, good for those of us who choose to hunt with compound, long and recurve bows.

Well it seems that the archery season will pass me by this year. I have to go for back surgury again shortly and all the practice that I did this summer will go for nothing. Since the anti crossbow organizations and the DEC have closed out the use of crossbow in the archery season for me , I fell that there is no alternative left for me since I am 70 and will be diabled to draw my compound bow during the season. Just wanted to let my feelings be known.