Anyone chrono there arrows?

chiefbkt

Okay, so I can see the pursuit for perfection in your equipment and bow/arrow setup!

But - how much effect does that have on the overall deer hunting scenario? 10%, 50%, 80%...?

If you have an older bow, set at lower poundage, "whatever" arrows & broadheads that work and you consistently get deer - is fps that critical?

Btw, alot of the better bow shops have chronos, and if they have a range to shoot, and arent really busy at the time, they will get it out for you if you ask. I dont own one, yet.

Chief, dont be too afraid of a weight change, it will just affect the up/down adjustment, and you should be able to just move the whole sight. Im going to be doing just that this year. Going to a heavier broadhead, so Ill have to re adjust a bit.

More weight may change your left right too, more weight up front effectivly works to weaken the spine of the arrow. I saw a difference from 75gr to 100gr, and also a little shorter arrow this year.

Crossbow = I shoot 302fps, 85ft/lb. 417 grains.

At 10 yards, 294.13fps, 77 KE

At 20 yards, 288.37, 74

At 30 yards, 282.73, 71

At 40 yards, 277.19, 66

At 50 yards, 271.75, 65

As a yard stick keep in mind you need about 30 ft. lbs to completely penetrate a deer and about 50 ft. lbs. for moose.

Crossbow = I shoot 302fps, 85ft/lb. 417 grains.

At 10 yards, 294.13fps, 77 KE

At 20 yards, 288.37, 74

At 30 yards, 282.73, 71

At 40 yards, 277.19, 66

At 50 yards, 271.75, 65

As a yard stick keep in mind you need about 30 ft. lbs to completely penetrate a deer and about 50 ft. lbs. for moose.

Who's chronograph did you shoot through at those distances?

Hard to imagine you only lost 24fps between 10 and 50 yards.....

Edited by Lawdwaz

I didn't. Excalibur's website has an "arrow performance" section, which on has Ballistics > http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/content/arrow_ballistics and Arrow Selection > http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/content/arrow_selection. Based on arrow selection, I use a 150 grain tip, 1994 excel string, with 200lb draw weight, and firebolts (417 grains), so I shoot at 302fps/ 85ft. lb. Then I went to arrow ballistics and to the chart for crossbows shooting 300fps, even though I shoot 302fps.

See, you can tell by all the responses that you really don't want to know.

If your current bow, arrows and technique kill deer - Don't try to fix what isn't broken!!!

Just one of those questions you really don't want to know the answer to.

What got me started on this whole thread was my string needing to be replaced (which came in the mail last Friday just haven't had time to get to the shop). I guess not being able to shoot for over a week now really got me thinking about my bow and how it was set up. Like if a simple string change can affect how my bow shoots. Or how fast my arrow is really flying, what if I shot 125 grain broadheads instead of 100, a heavier arrow, different rest, shorter arrow, etc. There are a lot of different variables in archery, starting with the person shooting. I have killed deer with my current set up and I am perfectly happy with it, but I always have that question in the back of my mind, "what if?" I am not against change, I will try just about anything at least once. FYI: My bow is 2 years old, Diamond Black Ice FLX, 29" draw, 72 lbs.

Cheif...might actually notice a bit of a change with a brand new string and then things like peep rotation might need to be tweaked again after around 100 shots. But with your success I wouldn't mess with 3 weeks to go. I would save next June for experiments...lol

Trust me, I'm not gonna mess with much after I get the new string put on. It will definitely be a post season adventure.