Live From the Stand 2012

WNYBuckHunter

So I'm sitting in my stand in westchester and just heard two gunshots, seriously what the hell is wrong with people I'm on dep land that does not allow an guns at all. These shots were very close had to be 200 yards max..... Oh yea and I have seen no deer all morning ????

There are areas of DEP land in Westchester that allows guns. Which area were you in?

Shot a doe at 10yards , 9am. Went 50-60 yards and tipped.

Congrats...out of the web? Didn't even get to use it this season. Planning on a few sits for a doe later this month in prep for use in Ohio for a week.

How's the experience with it so far?

Congrats to all who harvested opening week.

Sat in my blind this morning facing a soy field located at a junction between two trails leading to the soy field where i got several doe on camera coming out of the trail to my left. I was hoping to take a nice doe to fill my freezer but unfortunately a doe and two fawns that came out too far to my right from some brush. Never presented a shot. Going to take next weekend off to do some yard work and try again on 10/19-21.

- Jordan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Decided to hunt some state land about 20 mins away (charles e. Baker state forest) aka brookfield lol never been here before. Just walked in a half mile or so found a nice log around the only decent sign i could find, set my hot seat on it and now its a waiting game.

Anyone else hunt this state land? Its massive.

Went out at 5:30 hoping to be settled in stand by 6a.m...ya right..lol

One of the what could go wrong...went......Going to a stand that would favor the south winds and be between me and where the deer would come in to apples then a plot farther out...They over the years.....have routinely come in this way during the mornings...not today....They were bedded by an out building so pushed those out...continued on hooked bow up to tow rope...climb ladder to built stand...realize...no safety strap...only stand with out one and I forgot the spare...OK...I'll pull up bow...fold tow line a couple of times and tie off to tree and hook harness...Nooo...the bow won't come up....hooked on God knows what...climb back down...in process nock water bottle and it goes smash through the branches...now I'm sweating bullets...Could I make any more noise?!...finally settle in 6:30am

20 min later I see movement and a group of deer are 100yrds out and making their way to me..Good!10min later wind switches and off they go...headed down hill...I wait another 15 min and think forget it... sweating ...getting cold how stupid...Well stupid enough to get out of stand ...and head back...to kick up that group of deer bedded in the middle of a food plot 70 yards away as I just clear the woods...They did circle back...but a group of pines blocked my seeing it...LOL all that...still had fun....warm up and try again...some where far from there...lol

Finally got some movement, 3 does to my right .... In the thicket too far for the shot. They got spooked and took off towards the houses, it wasn't me I hope. I got wind in my face when I turned towards them, they will be back

Grow-damn autocorrect! I meant ticks. But I use to work with a lot of gays and gone to a few gay bars for happy hour as a result. None of them were name Rick. Unless they weren't honest with their real names. Hey, a free drink is a free drink. Don't judge. =P. =)

• Like 1

Shawn, I was at big peninsula in kensico no guns alowed there, someone mentioned fireworks to scare birds but this was deffinatly a shotgun blast trust me I can tell the difference

If you were legally allowed to hunt the Big P, then you should have the DEP police's number handy to report the incident. They don't take this stuff lightly on their property. It's your responsibility as a hunter to report anything you feel is in violation and potentially rob you of your rights to hunt there in the future.

I agree, the fireworks to manage the birds sounds much different.

Grow-damn autocorrect! I meant ticks. But I use to work with a lot of gays and gone to a few gay bars for happy hour as a result. None of them were name Rick. Unless they weren't honest with their real names. Hey, a free drink is a free drink. Don't judge. =P. =)

"... Not there is anything wrong with that ..." LOL

• Like 1

Elmo you have to use the Sawyers spray with Permethrin. Works awesome......spray down all your clothes and you will be tick free. I'm not sure if it will help you out at the gay bars though....lol!!!!
  • Like 2