My First Pistol In Some Time

While on the hunt for a 1911 the other day, I happened across this little gem of a pistol and couldn’t pass it up. It’s a S&W Model 39, and though it’s hard to date it without the S&W letter, I’m guessing it’s early to mid-60’s.  I had a passing knowledge of these pistols before seeing it, knowing they were quality old guns, but a deep dive into the history of the 39 warms my “old gun loving” heart. 
Just waiting on my amendment to come through so I can take it out and shoot it. I picked up 600rnds of 9mm at the auction last night, so I’m more than set once I get it :)

13683601-CE1D-4655-ABE0-5A1AF7DA27C0.jpeg

8528CDBF-CDD1-40E3-BD35-74AE9E89003B.jpeg

Edited by Splitear
  • Like 4

• Splitear changed the title to My First Pistol In Some Time

I went to pick up my Model 39 yesterday, and the guy at the counter said "Good news, the guy who sold us the gun brought in the original box and another magazine the day after you bought it". That was a very pleasant surprise.
Last night I tore it apart, and it was fairly dirty, it really looked like whoever cleaned it only took the time to wipe down the visible areas, which is understandable. For me, it made it that much more rewarding to get it cleaned up and looking good.
I decided to take a photo with my other Smith, a K-22 Masterpiece, that came from my Dad. A good looking pair if I do say so myself. Now I just need to find time to get out and shoot it. 

IMG_0508.jpg

Edited by Splitear
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Where did you get it?  Talk of the town?

No, I found this one at "The Outdoorsman" in Cohoes. I think it used to be called American Trade Goods. Since I was kind of on a mission for what I wanted I didn't look at too many of their long guns, but it's not a bad shop, and seems pretty reasonable on their prices. 

I did score really well on 9mm last week at the auction, I bought all they had (600 rounds) for an average of $.21 a round. He didn't have a lot of great guns last month, just a few old rifles that sold pretty well. March was a killer line-up for guns, some really nice stuff that went sold pretty reasonable. I'd been holing away band money hoping that April would be the same, but nothing I was interested in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nomad said:

That’s a fabulous price for that ammo ! 

They had 100rnds of Winchester FMJ, and 500rnds of Magtech, which I don't know much about, but seems to be okay stuff from what I've read.

It shoots! I put a magazine through it at around 10 yards. My first shot was wide, but after that, it shot pretty well. I know a magazine isn't much of a test, but I really just wanted to make sure it would fire and cycle before my 30 day return period was up. I'm pretty pleased with it and just need some practice. 

IMG_0545.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Always wanted a 39. That being a no dash is that one all steel? Im a smith and wesson junky big time. Love that K22 as well. Enjoy

Im pretty happy with it. The only thing I have discovered is that the decocker is hit or miss, but since I only plan to shoot targets with it, I’m not going to invest anything into fixing it and run the risk of messing something else up. It shoots and cycles as it should, and I’m fine with that. 
I’m all but sure it has the alloy frame not steel. I don’t think it’s that early, and the frame is pretty light.