Scales and Grinders

LIWaterman

Turning my shed into a makeshift processing facility. After butchering two deer last year its obvious I need to be better prepared and set up.

Picked up a electric hoist from horrible freight.

Need:

-Meat Grinder (wanted a manual one but can't seem to find one with good reviews)

- Decent hanging scale ( Can't seem to find a good one under 100 bucks)

I estimate doing at least three deer this year. Don't think that warrants and electric jammy

I ground up 30lbs of deer and 20 lbs of pork butt 2x's ( one through lrg hole and 2nd time through small hole ). After about 20 min I called my Dad up to come and help. It sucked. Unfortunately I still havent got an electric one yet so it will suck again this yr. If you do get a manual grinder get the biggest one you can find. Trust me!!!!

Edited by erussell

Or if the wife will give you a hard time about it buy her a kitchen aid stand mixer and buy the sausage grinder and stuffer attachements for yourself. Make her happy and make your grinding easier.

I used my Kitchenaid grinder for 10 pounds. (5 of venison and 5 of pork butt)

It worked really well even though I recommend taking a couple breaks, 10 pounds seemed like a lot and the grinder wasn't happy with me LOL. However I really think that it is better than hand grinding. I also recommend getting a food saver/sealer. Worth its weight in gold IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a lot of years of hunting left in you buy an electric grinder. I bought the #22 from Cabelas a couple years ago and it is the cats meow. The initial investment sucks but the prices are definitely going up every year so take the plunge and get it over with. I gound up 25 pounds of pork butt in about 4 to 5 minutes. Comes w/ stuffers and 2 cutting plates....If you want to sell it down the road 10 tears from now you'd probably be close to getting your money back!! Good luck in what you decide.....